what is a good A/M electric fuel pump for a 6.9l?

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
getting rid of the mech fuel pump and want to go electric. what is a good pump?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
FRB-13/FRB-5.
Yes this is a common topic that gets brought up often. BUT, like anything, the quality of pumps is always going downhill and we need to stay up to date with what's good. I have gone thru many brands myself, mech and electric and the Walbro FRB's are proving to be the most reliable at the moment. Not sure if they flow enough for the high HP guys; but im stock and it's plenty for me.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
FRB-13/FRB-5.
Yes this is a common topic that gets brought up often. BUT, like anything, the quality of pumps is always going downhill and we need to stay up to date with what's good. I have gone thru many brands myself, mech and electric and the Walbro FRB's are proving to be the most reliable at the moment. Not sure if they flow enough for the high HP guys; but im stock and it's plenty for me.

The nice thing about the Holley pumps is they can be repaired. Repair kits are available for 1/5 the cost of the compete pump.

Cainon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the Safety pressure switch that reads oil pressure and will shut off the fuel pump when oil pressure drops below 5 PSI. needed????

Safety Pressure Switch That Reads Oil Pressure
Will Shut Off Fuel Pump When Oil Pressure Drops Below 5 PSI

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
is the Safety pressure switch that reads oil pressure and will shut off the fuel pump when oil pressure drops below 5 PSI. needed????

Safety Pressure Switch That Reads Oil Pressure
Will Shut Off Fuel Pump When Oil Pressure Drops Below 5 PSI
Not really, most of the time diesels will run ok for quite a while without a lift pump since the IP will just end up pulling fuel, so you most likely won't notice the lift pump is off for quite a while which defeats the purpose. The pressure switches are really meant for gas motors, where the fuel pump being cut will instantly kill the motor, because it's the only fuel pump.

Rock

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Op
Where are you getting this info?
Powerstrokes?
Post a link?

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgive this question if it's been covered before... what is wrong with the stock mechanical lift pump? I'm on my 2nd mechanical lift pump on the 28 year old truck I bought new. The stock setup seems to be pretty reliable.

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little late but I love my Holley pump. I had a facet for almost 6 months and it caused a bunch of annoying little issues.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greenie
In the symptom known as
"Internet wisdom bewilderment " someone posted the Fawcett would stop the "dreaded " ruptured diaphragm in the mech pump from filling the eng with fuel....
An aside here
My personal reflection on this makes it an old wives tale, as I've only read ONE guy have it happen!

The second perk was it fixed air intrusion!
I don't suffer this (totally get it for those that do) might make it worth the pita we went thru to get here today???

Just my .02 here.... BUT if I drain a tank dry it still takes like 15-30 seconds to hopefully relight the eng.!

Now with the big cc pumps the extra volume is required, seems @Agnem (I think he has forgotten us as dealer dejoure, ;Poke :sorry: a wealth of knowledge. We lost Towcat the other guru, recently) posted a gpm limit as to ip delivery needs here of on fte...
Seems the mech ford pump rocked up to a fully turned up stock ip (my guess here on that one).
I still carry my oem 40k original in the tow pig.