What Gasket Sealant for Diesel?

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Gasket Sealant stands up to Diesel? I need to reuse my Valley Pan and want to "pookey up" the Intake port junction with a sealant that will hold up to the fuel, the heat and 15 lb. ( max.) of boost. What Works? Any Proven Products out there?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Theres no diesel that will come in contact with the intake valley pan but... Reusing the gasket is not really what you want to be doing. You will probably have to do this job again but if you want to I guess its your call. Try the spray on Hylomar sealant. Or just about any rtv will work. I like permatex copper plus. Others like other types. Some like grey.. I really don't recommend you reusing the gasket. Its kinda like reusing the head gaskets...:dunno

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I reused mine and it is fine but it only had 5k miles on it. grey rtv, very thin coat or hylomar OR aviation permatex.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine too was relatively new and reused it twice now. I used spray on copper coat but only after good inspection of mating surface. Any large nicks or material missing i would of replaced it.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Granted the tin has to be good to reuse. They're bad enough new. I've reused them before on other Fords. It's all in how well it comes apart. I know reusing the tin is ugly nasty business, but I'm in a bind, and I know it can be done. I can afford to spend all day massaging the tin to save $60. I used to put about three layers of Gaska-cinch on them around the ports and then RTV the ends of the valley and assemble it very carefully and say a little prayer. BUT, that's with a gasser and manifold Vacuum, not Diesel and Pressure. Without the previous advice I was leaning toward Hylomar. When I used to build Air Cooled engines I used Gaska-cinch for the case halves but then discovered Yama-bond, the stuff the Yamaha Service Wrenches use. I think it was Hylomar. It worked great but was hell to disassemble. I haven't tried spray Hylomar or Grey RTV but I do use the Aviation Permatex on bolts that see fluids like SBC Head bolts or IDI Flywheel bolts. I tend to be very gun shy with RTV as I've seen so much of it getting loose inside an engine and winding up in all the wrong places, like pick-up screens and oil coolers and the like. I like the stuff but tend to use it where nothing else will quite do. So thanks alot guys... I appreciate your help.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hylomar is blue and usually pretty easy to disassemble . The stuff stretches like crazy, that's part of what makes it work so well, it never hardens, and if a gap tempporarily forms during a heat cycle the stuff forms a curtain and retains the seal, then it compresses back into place when the metal finds its way back ;Sweet

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Yama-bond stuff is gray, stays soft and sticky and like I said, regretfully difficult to pull apart. Guess I'll go with the Hylomar....