what coolant do you use and why?

charly 94 idi

Reaction score
OK, new to all the diesel stuff, asked and read about the sca/coolant/cavitation issues, got fleetguard test kit and of course, zero sca. Added a quart of DCA4 Supplemental Coolant Additive, drove with heater on for 20 minutes at 60-70. will wait a few days and retest. Also looking to do a double flush with de-ionized water and restore plus? replace hoses and thermostat. Now, there's fleetguard, fleet-rite, fleet charge, zerex, yada yada and then there's concentrated, 50/50 and so on. my 94 7.3 has just under 80K and right now its not being used for towing, but the plan is to get a camper and do the big swing, coast to coast and border to border. So what should I get in terms of which coolant and where should I buy it? More worried about heat than cold. Live in the Dallas Texas area. Gonna get gauges as well, but that's another discussion. Thanks in advance.

TurboSurge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally would never buy 50/50. I run long life from Autozone And a dca4 coolant filter

jeepj667

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just serviced mine and used Final Charge.
Napa had pre-mix on sale cheaper than straight.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve been using Zerex G-05. It’s available at most auto parts stores, and meets the specifications to be safe with older gaskets. I’d have to look up the number, but Cummins has 2 different spec numbers for coolant, one for older engines that have older gasket technology (gasket material that is much less resistant to the organic acid (OAT) coolants), and a different spec number for newer engines with modern materials. The G-05 meets the older spec number.

I also will not buy 50/50... nearly the same price per gallon, you are just buying expensive water in the 50/50....

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using Napa's green antifreeze. It has the nitrites in it. I keep a pint of the SCA on the shelf in the garage, and I have a bottle of the Napa coolant test strips. I test the coolant once or twice a year, just to be sure.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I also will not buy 50/50... nearly the same price per gallon, you are just buying expensive water in the 50/50....
Same here. Unless it's an emergency. Even if the straight antifreeze is a couple of dollars more, you're still getting twice the amount of antifreeze compared to 50/50.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Fleetgard ES Compleat ethylene glycol. They also make a propylene glycol that is more environmentally friendly and better if you have pets around. Both are precharged with DCA4. It's available in 50/50 or straight. I usually use straight and distilled water. I use it cause it's still an ethylene glycol formula. I'm a little hesitant with the new ELC stuff in these older engines.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regular NAPA green, NAPA Kool sca additive and NAPA test strips. Regular strength with distilled water no 50/50. I use this now because it's cheaper and compatible with our engines and there is usually a NAPA close by. Use the NAPA Kool and the test strips because they go together. You can not use other brand strips with the NAPA Kool, you will get false readings ie fleet guard, motorcraft ect...

It's really up to you and what route you want to go. Everyone will have their opinions and preference, but it's up to you.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using Zerex G-05. It’s available at most auto parts stores, and meets the specifications to be safe with older gaskets. I’d have to look up the number, but Cummins has 2 different spec numbers for coolant, one for older engines that have older gasket technology (gasket material that is much less resistant to the organic acid (OAT) coolants), and a different spec number for newer engines with modern materials. The G-05 meets the older spec number.

I use the G05 also. At the time I was doing my research, it seemed to be the best option for me after I put in the aluminum radiator. I remember from my research long ago, that some coolant combinations are fine unless you have aluminum in the coolant system, which the original engine setups did not have.

MtnHaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can also add the SCAs with a Penray Need-Release filter. I've never run one but the idea seems sound. Personally just changing out the FleetCharge every 3 years or so ain't that bad.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the coolant we stock at work. Its a silicated green coolant with sca's already in it. I mix it with deionized water.