well this will divide the men from the boys

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not on the road yet, my time frame for working on the vehicle has expired and now I"m back to the old grind stone. I'll have to finish it on weekends and holidays at this point.

The thing that seemed to throw them most was the idea that it was there fault, not something I'd done wrong. I spent a lot of time and effort double checking everything both on this forum and with several diesel mechanics and with Ford, That and waiting for the mail didn't help my situation any. I'm basically stuck in a situation where I'm going to have to go out and buy a second car, my beater is dying and the truck still needs an exhaust system, steering and an alignment before it can go back out on the road. Still needs paint and a little body work as well, time to work out the kinks in all the new systems and tune it. I drive about 125 m a day so no way I can just wing it.

I thought of making an issue of my losses down there but fat chance that would have done any good. I mentioned it, more in passing that anything else that this screw up was costing me but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. I woulda bought a new car anyway but not till spring. As it is I didn't even add up all what the delay is costing me. Not sure you can put a price on a vacation anyway.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
Stan's header's sounds like a lot of other people that are only nice enough to you to get you to buy something. As soon as you have a problem, they look for a way to break it off in your ****. I would be freaking out over $1000 in shipping. :mad:

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could have done myself had I a working vehicle on schedule, that and one vacation. Granted I made up a little by working when I shoulda been playin, but there's still no excuse for it. Anyone can make a mistake, but assuming it was on my end and just wanting to give me my money back and be done with it was BS. They advertise headers that fit and I wouldn't think it was asking to much to get a pair of headers that fit.

Deal is I'm spending about 1650 cash on these headers before the custom exhaust and then what kinda tag to you put on a few days away from it all. Couldn't do it, I was to busy catching up to pay for that load of hardwood coming out of Missouri I could just as well have hauled myself.

Something tells me you can flag this thread till your blue in the face and nothing will come of it. Basically, yah, I got a pair of headers that fit, but it was torture and it cost me way more than I bargained for

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how did you pay 1000.00 for shipping?? what did they charge you to ship them to your door?? thats the craziest shipping figure ive ever heard for a set of headers!!

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya but 1000.00, thats just nuts. i'm thinking about buying a set of these but now i just dont know.. what was the totale price shipped to your door for these.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no you guys misunderstood me completely, I would have used the truck to run a couple loads of lumber out of Missouri to here but couldn't because the truck is still down. I had to pay a shipping company to deliver the lumber for me. Thats what cost me about 1k ( two loads from two different mills at roughly 500 each )

The headers cost me about $50 to ship back and got lost on the way. Finally arrived about 4 or 5 days after they were supposed to.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it was called hot shotting but since I only run my own stuff I think its legal, or at least no one has ever said anything other than I got weighed last time through. Just squeaked in under the wire to I might add.

anyway its been a royal pain in the ass but eventually I'm hoping it will be worth it.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New development in the ole header category folks.

There's not a prayer in hell of getting the dipstick back on this thing. Not unless I can find an access on the drivers side. Cause the passenger side header makes no accommodation for the dipstick.

wmoguy

Reaction score
man that sucks bud. Note to self: don't put headers on a 7.3!

Just curious, what was your thinking on why you wanted headers for this thing anyway?

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had to grind the frame back to get even the < 1/4 that I do have and the tubes 3/8. Even if I drilled a whole in the frame I'd still never make the pretzel tube. Thing would end up looking like a p trap. Its just not doable as far as I can see.

Headers add a lot of power to any vehicle. Its an easy ( har har har ) way to liven up an older engine without adding stress to the top end. Thought it would be a good idear. Turned out to be a complete nightmare from the word go. You should see what I had to do to get a 4" exhaust on it.

In the end I'd not recommend anyone bother, Stans sent me a sub par header after fighting me on returning the one that didn't fit. Claiming that had never happened before and it must be my fault. Then the real fun began working the exhaust in and now the dipstick. They knew I'd never get a dipstick on this thing, you'd think it just curtious to mention it to the customer. Oh well live and learn.

Dipstick and a wire plug for the distributor are about the only things holding me up at this point.

wmoguy

Reaction score
had to grind the frame back to get even the < 1/4 that I do have and the tubes 3/8. Even if I drilled a whole in the frame I'd still never make the pretzel tube. Thing would end up looking like a p trap. Its just not doable as far as I can see.

Headers add a lot of power to any vehicle. Its an easy ( har har har ) way to liven up an older engine without adding stress to the top end. Thought it would be a good idear. Turned out to be a complete nightmare from the word go. You should see what I had to do to get a 4" exhaust on it.

I see. Yea headers add go power, just seems like a turbo adds more go for a lot less headache

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yah that thing had the original exhaust on it and I'd have had to redo it all anyway if I'd have gone turbo. So thinking I'd save money cookoo I went with headers. Brilliant move eh.

but seriously has anyone installed these before and if so what did you do to get a dipstick on it.