well this will divide the men from the boys

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Headers don't fit, Ford and two long time veteran diesel mechanics all said that the oil cooler its hitting is standard equipment on the 7.3. Stan's says there's no way there header doesn't fit, never had one not fit before. Ford says there's no way the oil cooler isn't factory. Two diesel mechs, one a 20 year guy all agree its gotta be human error on the part of stans. Someone must have grabbed the wrong jig or something. Anyway I gotta send that header back so they can measure if and figure out what they did.

Wrecks my vacation unless they can fix it in say less than a couple of weeks.

perfect eh

breath
try not to strangle anyone.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
u have a van cooler? the van cooler sits higher and it is different than tha truck one

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how does a van cooler get on a truck. And how do you identify one from the other. Ford didn't mention anything about there being two of them. Stans mentioned something about there being a slight difference between the van and the truck pipes but didn't elaborate

just got off the phone with Ford and they say there is no difference between the two, so the question remains, if there are two different types how do you tell the difference. I'm inclined to believe you guys more than Ford anyday. Just got off the phone with a second ford dealer, parts division, calls for the same part on the 7.3 in both the E and F series. IE its the same cooler, or at least according to ford

Last edited:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a difference between the van and the truck cooler headers. I believe it the rear header sits higher, and the oil filter sits in a different position than the truck rear header. The oil cooler "bundle" the middle with all the tubes is the same, but the headers that bolt to the block and hold the bundle and the oil filter are indeed different.... I remember we had this discussion just recently on here. That being said, I do remember saying the truck cooler header will not fit in a van application, and the van cooler headers do not fit in a truck.... period... the cross members are in a different location and cause interference, which is the reason for the different cooler headers.....

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well its the front two pipes that are hitting on the side of the oil cooler, the rear is awfully close. I've basically got 2" on the outside of these things ( tons of room ) and 0 on the inside, they just barely touch but they do touch and thats not going to fly.

I'm really curious as to what you guys say about there being two different oil coolers that could be used on this thing.

I got pictures I can load in a bit.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I will do a search and see what I can find. I remember them saying the van headers hold the bundle up higher, I believe, and the oil filter is at an angle... where the truck it is straight down.....

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember my filter being straight down, so chances are I have the truck cooler as well since its all one unit. ford Parts says its the same part number is called for the 7.3 in both the E and F series, so it will be interesting if it actually turns out there are two parts that could be in that location

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the van cooler ends are higher up the cooler its self is the same
but the manifold on the van is also higher so both would need to be swapped

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm well I've got the 91 F250 and Stans headers for that truck, assuming these are the right headers don't fit. Stans says the problem must be on my end so I'm just trying to figure out this part and what could possibly be the reason its hitting.

So your saying that there is the cooler tube and then the brackets that hold it on? and that the cooler might be the same but the brackets could be different? Perfect, OK so how do you tell the brackets appart. Is there an identifying number on them somewhere cause this thing only hits by the smallest amount.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Ok there's the offending part, you can see where the dirt is rubbed off just behind he brake line that it hit.

and there's the header where it hits on the second pipe worst and is just touching on the first from the left

You must be registered for see images attach

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
you have a truck cooler in there, i have a van motor and a truck cooler in my garage you can see in my pics. the first two pictures are the van motor, the filter slants to the back of the motor a little at the bottom but the big difference is that it does not rise the cooler up. the truck cooler raises up about 3-4 inches and the filter tilts the front of the motor at the bottom, you can see it in your pic and my last one.

Attachments

• DSCN1113.jpg
    DSCN1113.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN1118.jpg
    DSCN1118.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN1115.jpg
    DSCN1115.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 35

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no way the van cooler will fit in the truck without hitting either the manifold or crossmember. Trying to find a Ford parts guy that has a clue about these engines is difficult. Does it pull away if you bolt it up tight?

If stans ground or fitted up the flange a bit off it will throw the tubes way off.

Good job Jred.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately not. I put a piece of paper between the offending parts and bolted it up, couldn't pull the paper out. Tight as a drum in there.

Stans is seriously resistive of admitting they screwed up, I"m willing to do my investigation work on this end but the part does appear to be factory and the correct part for the F series, so at some point Stans is just going to have to step up and fix it.

the guy down there said to send both headers back and they'd give me a refund but I just assume he get me a header that fits the truck. I"m sending him the bad one and keeping the one that works. Hoping it encourages them to get there **** together and send me a working header.

I'm thinking they accidently made me headers for a van instead of a truck

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
buddy put a set onhis truck, only interference he had was the driverside header and his proprotioning valve and lines. he just had to reshaft the mount and all cleared fine. i can see if i can get pics of the headers on his to see the difference.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they dont take care of it, tell them there are lots of people waiting on here to see how they handle customer service.