Well, this is interesting...

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my IDI for 5 years now, built it out of a couple trucks, and the chassis/engine I bought from the third person who had bought it intending to do something with it and never did(it had a roached body and dead IP) it had been sitting since 2000 when I got it in 05.
It had an indicated 230,000 km or thereabouts on it when I got it, which from the rest of the truck seemed about right. It shows just short of 282 now.
I happened to be talking to the original owner today at lunch, I didn't know it had been his truck, but he saw it, made mention of how good the old 6.9's were, and said he wondered what ever happened to his old 2 tone brown 6.9 truck... I looked at him and said "you're looking at it." He looked at me and asked me how many miles were on it now, I told him, and he told me to add a million to it, apparently it rolled over in about 97 or so... All I can say is WOW. The thing has never been apart other than head gaskets in 1987, the IP I put on it is only the third...
I'd never have suspected that it has nearly 1.3 million KM(807K miles) on it, it starts first time every time, even at -20c, doesn't require glows even at -30 if it's been running in the last 4 hours, or if it's much above about 50F, even on a cold start. Heck, I haven't even been bothering to plug it in lately.
The oil pressure sits at the L in normal all the time, and quite frankly, it runs better than some of the sub 100K mile trucks I work on on a regular basis.
I'm curious to do a compression test on it now. It shows no signs of being a tired old engine.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK that is awesome. I'm gonna---scratch that--I will now get a secondary oil filter. as for the mileage Mine has about 200k, It's still a 2year old lol and that is so cool to know the history of the truck!. I should try to find the? OO? of my truck

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Holy toledo! :eek:

That's something to be proud of. I hope I can yank that many miles outta mine! :sly

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! I'd be happy if mine made it 1/2 that far, I'm at 207K right now.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I take great pride in a high mileage unit.:sly I bought the logger off the origional owner, a logging company. 252,000mi and going strong. I am surprised at how well all the doors shut and quiet the cab is at speed. These trucks are just put together well. I hope to see 500,000mi, its gonna take a while. There is a sense of pride and respect an eight hundred thousand mile truck garnishes. Keep the odometer ticking.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I was working in Texas a few years ago I was filling up and got to talking to a guy in a brand new Dodge Cummins dually. He asked if I had the IDI and told me about the one he bought brand new. I forget the exact year but it was a 7.3. Said he gave it with 387,000 miles to one of his employees who proceeded to put another 80,000 miles on it and then gave it back when the IP died. He parked it next to his garage until someone asked to buy it from him. He said he still sees it around town several years later and that it had to be over 500k by now. He was really proud of that truck. I don't think I'll get 500k out of my engine. It's a little loose sounding to me but I will for sure see 300 maybe 400k if I'm careful.

So yeah do a compression test and report back. I'm curious as well to know what it reads.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice story, BUT are you asking me to believe that between 86 and 97 that the truck was driven 100,000 miles per year and that someone poured 60,000 gallons of fuel into it, many, many times the value of the truck? Also 200+ oil changes. 3-4 sets of ball joints? Transmission? Hmm. Service records would be interesting. Or some indication that the truck was run regularly on some long distance route. That's 2000 miles per week.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here, that is not abnormal, especially for a bush truck that belonged to a company employee who had their fuel paid for.
Your math is off a little however, in 97, it would have hit 1,000,000 km, which is 621 371 miles, and works out to 56488 miles per year, which makes it 1000 miles per week, and is around on par for it having had 764K on it when it was parked in 2000.
You should have seen the service records for my old 00 Super Duty... It averaged 6-7000 miles a month, very seldom got more than 3 months out of a set of ball joints, and with how many times the front axle u-joints were replaced, must have been driven with the hubs locked all the time...
My Cummins is nearing 420K miles, and one week out of every 4 I average 1000 miles for that week, and around 500 a week for the other three.

Last edited:

1994IDI

Reaction score
That is great. There is certainly a sense of pride to go with that many miles. I'm about to roll over 84000.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here, that is not abnormal, especially for a bush truck that belonged to a company employee who had their fuel paid for.
Your math is off a little however, in 97, it would have hit 1,000,000 km, which is 621 371 miles, and works out to 56488 miles per year, which makes it 1000 miles per week, and is around on par for it having had 764K on it when it was parked in 2000.
You should have seen the service records for my old 00 Super Duty... It averaged 6-7000 miles a month, very seldom got more than 3 months out of a set of ball joints, and with how many times the front axle u-joints were replaced, must have been driven with the hubs locked all the time...
My Cummins is nearing 420K miles, and one week out of every 4 I average 1000 miles for that week, and around 500 a week for the other three.

OH my, I thought Ontario, CA was Ontario, California! x2 less miles makes it more understandable! I just want mine to last me the rest of my life. It has 142k now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online