Well this is normal.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Here are the scans. Scan 1 and Scan 2 are the Flex plate and Ring gear respectively, Scan 3 is the weld pool.
Lots of contaminant elements as expected. Silicon (Si) was showing up in scan 1 but kept kicking down off the screen for some reason. Anything below .03 is likely a contaminant imbedded in the metal. Interesting to see the flex plate holds a trace amount of copper whereas the gear holds a trace amount of chromium.

You must be registered for see images attach

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whooo-wee....this is better than a hawg killin'...

It is nice to have a willing metal analyst on board...

That was extremely interesting.

I was having trouble getting my head around the 'cut from pipe' theory until I re-oriented my conception of pipe size...that is a huge pipe...

I have seen crosshatch in the I.D. of standard shift ring gears as well as other machining lines so they must be machined and honed to the interference fit dimension at some point in the process.

Keep it coming, gentlemen..!!

ISPKI

Reaction score
Whooo-wee....this is better than a hawg killin'...

It is nice to have a willing metal analyst on board...

That was extremely interesting.

I was having trouble getting my head around the 'cut from pipe' theory until I re-oriented my conception of pipe size...that is a huge pipe...

I have seen crosshatch in the I.D. of standard shift ring gears as well as other machining lines so they must be machined and honed to the interference fit dimension at some point in the process.

Keep it coming, gentlemen..!!
I looked into it more and it seems that the ring gear is actually square bar rolled around a form and welded at the end. It is then ground top and bottom and then teeth are cut into it, probably with a large broaching machine to accelerate the manufacturing process.

ISPKI

Reaction score
We are getting pretty far off topic now but one of my company's oldest customers is a pressing company with several hundred pressing machines in their facility. They have a large format press area with presses like this Bruderer machine below scaled all the way up to 400 ton (the one in the video is a 75 or an 80 ton I believe?)

Absolutely mind numbing watching all the parts and extreme precision required to slam these parts out, especially at this rate of speed.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.