Well... I bought a "C" powered rig....

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let the Swonking begin, although, I'm not leaving the basement, I still have my IDI until the truck finishes falling apart, and my buddy Stephane's truck that we re-built last summer received my turbo on it's 7.3.
I just sealed the deal on, not one, but 2 first gen Dodges, an 89 and a 93...
My IDI truck just needs too much work, and rust and age have taken their toll on the body. It still runs great, and even N/A, I must say, it still runs out pretty good, I may yet re-power one of my other fords with the 6.9.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
No.......noooo......................nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

:rotflmao All joking aside, sounds like you found yourself a good deal on some trucks. But remember your buying a dodge, and if you think that your ford is falling apart now, just wait a year or two for the dodges to catch up.......:D

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If these were second Gen dodges, I'd heartily agree, First gens are a different ballgame altogether, but, I did buy 2, just in case... :rotflmao
It'll take more than a year or two for them to catch up to my poor old Ford... it's body is TOAST, box is shot, cab is getting bad along the rear seam, hood, fenders and rad support are OK tho. The front end is shot, diff is toast, and I can't find axles for it(I've broken all I could find.) But, it's been a good 3 years out of the 'ol girl... I only paid $300 for it in the beginning.

Last edited:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh Ohhhhhhhhh........ The C word is getting contagious around here lately. Congrats, hope they do well for you.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I'm faced with the same situation LOL I've been gritting my teeth for the last few hours because tomorrow morning is when I make the decision between buying a 92 Cu er uh Dodge or sink some money into the IDI... :frustrate :frustrate :frustrate I don't know what to do!

I doubt you'll regret your desicion from the sounds of it :cool

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
arrghhahahaha (evil laugh) - one by one they are converted.

Welcome to the other side of the pasture.

:fan: :fart

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it sounds like your IDI has given it's full measure of service. Swonking is reserved for turncoats who sell out. I don't see a for sale sign on yours yet. Still, I think you'll be wishing you had gotten another Ford instead.

dwaymar

dwaymar
Reaction score
after 23 years i finally did the same a few months ago and even thou i still have my id i i still drive the 99 all the time at 22mpg well i do like it also the power is real sweet

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
my brother had a 93 dodge cummins he bought the thing falling apart every thing except that engine was a piece of **** he was allways fixing some thing on it the interior was coming apart left and right he finally sold it after the trans took a **** im trying to get him to buy a idi but he still isnt convinced anyway u got some really solid engines out of the deal good luck

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I guess everyone needs to own a Dodge to see the difference between right and wrong...cookoo :rotflmao ....The Cummins is the only thing in a Dodge that is worth having....Yet, I see 5.9's blowing up all the time but Ive yet to see an IDI blow up....hmmm....From my recent dealings with the F-inlaws 95 Dakota 4x4 I must say Chrylser really takes the cheap way out in a lot of areas...Some of the suspension on that thing is just plain scary. Your probably going to luck out if it's a stick - C engine, spicer trans, dana axles...The only thing dodge is the body....LOL

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Brand loyalty makes me laugh :rolleyes:

People always complain about the Dodge only being good because of the Cummins engine which is true to an extent, but at least their flippin guages work half decent compared to my 86! And don't get me started on the TTB fronends! Oh and our super reliable glowplug relay's compared to trouble free--start in -90* weather with no issues--intake heaters?!? Hmm LOL :rotflmao LOL I've got plenty to complain about in the Ford department as well, but honestly who cares? Face it our IDI's are old, 12 valve Cummins are old, the 6.2/6.5's are old.... They are for the most part well worn trucks that have put their time in and did it well.

I have a hard time believing that one brand is crap. Some are just better in certain areas than others. Imo if a 6.9 gernades unexpectedly than it was provoked same for the Cummins, the GM's and everything else for that matter except for the 6.0 Fords LOL

If I want a truck without a few issues than I will buy a new one because any of the big three should give years of trouble free service. But that's not me I would rather have a few nickle and dime issues then a $500 dollar payment anyday. I just like old trucks, and can appreciate their style ;p

:popcorn

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The grid heaters on the Cummins engines aren't too **** hot either...They can be a PITA when the relays start to act up as well. I'd take a GP over a grid heater anyday. 5 or 6 working GP's is better than one non-working grid heater...LOL....Setting the engines aside, IMHO Ford built the best truck for a long time....Sold millions from 80-96, TTB and all. I never head any issues with the TTB myself - granted it's not the best design but they are pretty tough compared to GM's flimsy control arms and CV axles. Up in the north you hardly see any new GM 1-tons...Their front ends can't handle the muskege mud like the solid front axles of the Dodge and Fords....The thing I've always like about the 80-96's is the fact that most things are interchangable making it easy to find used stuff....Even today pretty much all the big fleets around here use Fords....Must be a reason for it as the Fords aren'talways the cheapest....The Sterling dealer next to us is selling the new Bullet's (Dodge 3500 with a sterling grill) hand over fist because they are $10,000 or so cheaper than an equal Ford or Bowtie.....Too bad it's just a Dodge:D because the new 6.7L ISB engine has been pretty decent so far. I've yet to put a wrench on one other than dealing with some re-gen/DPF issues.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
actually I have ran for 2 years with the grid heater unhooked with no issues of starting - maybe I just got lucky - dunno but it worked fine for me - yes she complained a little (stumbling for a couple of seconds after start up) but when I finally hooked them up this winter I noticed the difference - they help - took the stumble out of her on the really cold mornings.