water thermostat

CH302K

Reaction score
1993 f350 7.3 idi. I have replaced the radiator and water pump and still over heating.Does the 7.3 have a thermostst and where is it?
thanks

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
It does have one, Follow the upper rad hose towards the engine. It is clamped to the t-stat housing. You must remove alternator and a few things in that area to get to it. Use only a Motorcraft t-stat

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1993 f350 7.3 idi. I have replaced the radiator and water pump and still over heating.Does the 7.3 have a thermostst and where is it?
thanks

I'd suggest two things...

First Purchase

An actual FORD Motorcraft thermostat or an International Thermostat...those are the only two you should use WHAT SO EVER

Here is a Tutorial I did on this subject take a look

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...T-REPLACEMENT-101-Tech-PicTutorial&highlight=

Hope this helps you out!

Al

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest two things...

First Purchase

An actual FORD Motorcraft thermostat or an International Thermostat...those are the only two you should use WHAT SO EVER

Here is a Tutorial I did on this subject take a look

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...T-REPLACEMENT-101-Tech-PicTutorial&highlight=

Hope this helps you out!

Al

I don't know why everyone says to only use a ford or motorcraft thermostat. I used a thermostat from napa 3 years ago and it is still in working condition to this day. (185 degree thermostat)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why everyone says to only use a ford or motorcraft thermostat. I used a thermostat from napa 3 years ago and it is still in working condition to this day. (185 degree thermostat)

FAILURE rate among after market....higher much higher...also incorrect temp to open...should be IIRC 192 begins open fully by 210 FYI

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew powerstroke had to be at 205 degree, but that 210 thermostat sounds like it should be on a chevy, not international.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its a well proven fact the after market stats will not properly cool these engines. But a person can try what they feel is the best for them. Those that speak with authority here speak softly. they have paid to test and find out what does not work.

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never meant to come off across that the other thermostats were bad, I was just saying I've had luck with the stat I've been using.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never meant to come off across that the other thermostats were bad, I was just saying I've had luck with the stat I've been using.

Gary says things well...softly...I reiterate things I learned with BIG BOLD LETTERS so others can understand the emphasis...it's a personal choice to use aftermarket parts, and for some parts I do...

Others however I don't...

Thermostats are one FORD Motorcraft Beru GP's are another....NO way I would use autolite, champion, or bosch GP"s...the collective for the most part says BERU, then that's whats for me.

Some have been around here and read and posted a while and seen others failed parts and thus speak with authority...of knowledge and experience paid in full with both blood sweat tears and Cash!

Thus if someone has say a few thousand or even lets say 13,000 posts...I tend to listen...not that someone with 125 posts cannot contribute.heck even a 1 poster can contribute....and with great info too.....but experiences and knowledge gained over time speaks volumes...

If you yourself have had good success with aftermarket thermostats, then Kudos, your a fortunate fellow....others have not had such good luck...There used to be one after market one that many here say was good...IIRC Robert Shaw made/brand...but I don't know anything about those except they are not made any more apparently. Most are cheapnese knock offs...

Anyway please keep on posting...rofl...don't just take our words for it....experience it your self too... ;)