water alcohol for my 7.3

frank-id

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been checking the ebay sellers who sell complete systems. Boy, the systems are very expensive for nearly nothing. I'd like to make more power with my old 1991 Ford 7.3 diesel. The componets are very easy to buy items. Any one else interested? Frank

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look in the Tech article section for the "Splash" system, it gives all parts needed to build a water injection system on a diesel engine.
If your looking for power water injection is not gonna help much, its main pourpose is to keep EGT's low.
I have all parts for a system in a box on the bench waiting to be installed, I probiobly have $120 or so in parts.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Darrin Tosh can tell ya about propane as he had it on is truck and I think Exekiel does or did have one point.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Alcohol, **** & propane will all increase timing, that's why it feels more powerful. More timing will lower EGTs but at the cost of putting more stress on your engine. We are talking about cracking pistons & rodding blocks here. Not something I feel comfortable messing with.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Cat... Why will adding water-**** & propane increase the timing? That sounds odd to me so thats why I asked the question.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alcohol, **** & propane will all increase timing, that's why it feels more powerful. More timing will lower EGTs but at the cost of putting more stress on your engine. We are talking about cracking pistons & rodding blocks here. Not something I feel comfortable messing with.

Timing? Please explain.

Timing is a function of the injection pump. The presence of drugs has an effect on combustion. That's all, unless you can correct me. Propane acts as a catalyst. It causes the diesel fuel to burn more completely, resulting in increased power. Because the fuel is burned better, there are higher EGT's. Water/****, also increases power by cooling the air charge. Reduced temps, equal denser air, thus you can add more fuel. With methanol, you get a slight kick. Water/**** definitely adds power. I've ridden in two trucks that were so equipped and you can definitely feel it in the seat of the pants when the switch is flipped to turn the water on. I haven't seen anybody do both propane and water, but there is no reason why you couldn't.