any 6.9 fuel water separator alternatives?

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some background my fuel water separator (firewall) was letting in a lot of air and after draining the water out of it it completed stooped fuel flow through the FWS so as a solution i have temporarily bypassed it
is there a way to repair/rebuild these?
not interested in 7.3 filter head swapping as there are no 7.3's in my local junkyards and I don't want to buy off someone or new as that's more money than id like to spend on this truck
or is there a different solution that I'm not thinking off here?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Obtaining a filter that'll work may cost as much or more than upgrading to a 7.3 filter assembly. I guess it's pick your poison? Could buy a WIX filter head and then buy a water separator/filter.

Filter 33045 and filter base 24770

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes the firewall mounted water separator is rebuild-able. Mel made a thread about doing just that....

Here is the thread, which is located in the Tech Articles section:

One bad thing, webshots went away, it took all the pictures with it.... but you can piece it together from the descriptions.

Jim993

Reaction score
Mine was bypassed 23 years and 120,000 miles ago. Fuel only goes through the stock 6.9 filter. No issues. I do change filters every 15,000 miles and look for water at that time. Never have seen any. I also use Stanadyne fuel additive on a every three month or so interval and the truck is garaged:

12pilgrim

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I mounted this fuel/water separator on the inside of the frame near my transfer case (86 f250 4x4). I have rubber fuel lines though so it was easy to splice into. If you're interested I can send you part numbers for everything.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I mounted this fuel/water separator on the inside of the frame near my transfer case (86 f250 4x4). I have rubber fuel lines though so it was easy to splice into. If you're interested I can send you part numbers for everything.
very interested in part numbers

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The solution on my RV. I had a used Racor head from a junk yard IDI, I just got new filters (got 2 for cheap on ebay in late 2019). On vans, that's where the factory W/S is, down on the frame under the cab, hence why I put it there.

sheepman

TDS Refugee
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread....

When I bypassed the factory water separator on the firewall on our 6.9L. I Installed a 7.3L IDI filter mount ford part # F2Z-9B249-A with a WIX 33417 Filter (Nominal micron rating of 14). It’s a Simple update/repair IMO. Plug the unused ports on the filter base. I removed the 6.9L outlet fitting with return nipple, replaced it with a 7.3 elbow. Installed fitting F2TZ-9K061-A for the return line.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
If you want to keep an OEM style filter head but without the air issues, I 1000‰ recommend this:

Never-Have-I-Ether
That's just a stock 6.9 filter head. He more than likely has that already if his truck is stock. It was only the 7.3s that had all the gadgets in the filter head.

Rock

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so when swapping to 7.3 filter head #24770 do i need anything but the filter or are other parts required?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
so when swapping to 7.3 filter head #24770 do i need anything but the filter or are other parts required?
Why do you consider a 7.3 filter head an upgrade? You can just get a water separator (a replacement filter with a drain petcock) to spin on the stock filter head. The 6.9 and the 7.3 filter heads use the same filters, so neither is an upgrade.
Napa has the filters with petcocks for either 6.9 or 7.3. the only difference between the two, is the 7.3 has sensors and heaters in the head and filter itself. 6.9 only has the water in fuel sensor on the head, and heater on the intake fuel line of the filter head.

Rock

NeverHave-I-Ether

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's just a stock 6.9 filter head. He more than likely has that already if his truck is stock. It was only the 7.3s that had all the gadgets in the filter head.

Rock
Ah I was unaware of that, I figured they were the same.

Never-Have-I-Ether

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp