any 6.9 fuel water separator alternatives?

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Both my 6.9s didn't have the factory water separators, and as far as I know, came that way.

Rock

Maybe Ford committed the sin of undocumented mid-year alterations on the last 87s to roll out and you just happened to get two such examples of it.

The 78 Dodge van I had, it had mostly different 1979 wire colors when I had to do some wiring repairs. They must have run out of 78 harnesses and started using 79 ones. It had round headlights so it couldn't have been a 79 model, since 79 started using rectangular ones with different fenders for the wraparound turn signals.

12pilgrim

Reaction score
very interested in part numbers
Sorry I just saw this! What a jerk huh.

Ok, the filter kit is BF781 and the base it screws onto is FB1301.. NAPA may have cheaper options but those are what I purchased. There are 2 holes in the frame right there that I had a rectangular base welded together to fit and drilled holes to match the frame holes. Then attached it to the frame with 2 bolts. Was that clear? Thanks and have a great week.

12pilgrim

Reaction score
Sorry I just saw this! What a jerk huh.

Ok, the filter kit is BF781 and the base it screws onto is FB1301.. NAPA may have cheaper options but those are what I purchased. There are 2 holes in the frame right there that I had a rectangular base welded together to fit and drilled holes to match the frame holes. Then attached it to the frame with 2 bolts. Was that clear? Thanks and have a great week.

For me, installing this was waaaay easier than replacing the stock 6.9 fuel filter head with a 7.3. That looks like a total pain.

12pilgrim

Reaction score
What’s the part number for the filter base you attached to the frame?
Sorry, just seeing this! BF781 for the water separator filter and FB1301 for the base. The holes on the FB1301 don't match stock holes in the frame, but welding together a rectangular "mount" allows you to drill holes that match the frame holes to bolt to and then holes on the other side for the FB1301 to bolt to. Does that make sense?

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the factory fuel water separator started working as should after i took it apart and cleaned it, thank you all for replying!