Walbro FRB-13-2 6-8 psi 43 gph

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Just ordered 2 Walbro FRB-13's. Gonna thro one on a 466 powered truck and another on an 86 idi. Both have fuel pressure gauges already. Will post back with results. I didn't order a pressure regulator, will see if I need one I guess

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
It works great, but I had to pull it out because I was hauling gravel and it was mounted in the bed. I'm going to update a few parts on it and reinstall as soon as I can use my feet again, next 2 or 3 weeks hopefully..

BeastMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd just like to thank GM for starting this thread. The thing I value most in my stuff is resilience and robustness. If I can't count on it to be there when I need it, I have no use for it.

I was flat ignorant about the Wallbro pump. The more I research this thing, the more I like it. All the bad press over the Carter pumps has me quite concerned over mine. The prices I am seeing is $150 and up. Apparently listing $185. Quite a good insurance against lost time, a tow, labor, and other frustrations of having my fuel pump die 100 miles from nowhere.

I specifically bought my IDI for it's simplicity and track record of reliability.

It's NA, rides like a cow, and gets me and my stuff there every time.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Exactly!!! We are in a form of a crisis with the lack of quality in modern parts. I was also ignorant that the Walbro pumps existed. Im sure there are a few others out there that absolutely have to be reliable (military, marine etc.) This will be my first Walbro install. Not sure where to mount it yet or how bulky or awkward it is in comparison to the Carters. I think I will try to mount in on the inside of the frame rail, where I have mounted Carters for years, so I can use my existing plumbing and wiring. We'll see tho. I wonder if they are a pump that is substantial enough to mount under the hood and pull right from the tank and stand up to under hood temperatures?

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Installed 2 FRB-13's today. One on my 86 6.9l F350, mounted on the frame rail where my Carter 4070 was. And the other one on my IH 466 5 ton, in the engine bay at top of fuel tank level, where my Carter 4070 was. I have put no more then a test drive on both of them, had to fab a custom mount to make them fit, they are too tall to bolt directly to the inside of the frame rail on an idi, they would go nice on the outside, but would be subject to more road grime. They both primed right up, run quite and make about 6psi (not 7 as advertised, which is fine). I have not done a WOT test yet to watch pressure but I will. Installed an inline see thru filter upstream of them, just like before.
They seem to be of good quality. I will keep posted with reliability results.
I have been getting around 500hrs with the latest chineese Carters, so im angry/tired of working on lift pumps, and being stranded by new parts. So I sure hope to see/report back after much more accumulated hours on these pumps.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Ok so on my idi, at WOT at about 2000rpm, I got the fuel pressure to drop to about 2psi. No surging, or lack of fuel symptoms at all. One thing that I am noticing however, is that the pressure is more like 5psi rather then 6 and every time the reciprocating pump cycles; which is about every second at low fuel demands, the fuel pressure fluctuates aprox 1psi. So it will go from 4 to 5 and back and forth every second. I don't imagine this is ******* the IP or not but I don't know for certain. I really don't care if the psi bounces around like that as long as its consistent and reliable. Im thinking it may be an idea to use a FRB rated for slightly higher pressure, and to use a pressure regulator to hold it at 6psi. Just a thought. I wont be doing that just yet

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so on my idi, at WOT at about 2000rpm, I got the fuel pressure to drop to about 2psi. No surging, or lack of fuel symptoms at all. One thing that I am noticing however, is that the pressure is more like 5psi rather then 6 and every time the reciprocating pump cycles; which is about every second at low fuel demands, the fuel pressure fluctuates aprox 1psi. So it will go from 4 to 5 and back and forth every second. I don't imagine this is ******* the IP or not but I don't know for certain. I really don't care if the psi bounces around like that as long as its consistent and reliable. Im thinking it may be an idea to use a FRB rated for slightly higher pressure, and to use a pressure regulator to hold it at 6psi. Just a thought. I wont be doing that just yet

I bet if you compare to the stock mechanical pump you will get similar pulses. The nice thing about this pump is it is "spring return" - the "thump" is the solenoid compressing the spring (filling cavity) and the spring provides the pressure. Makes sense that the pressure will fluctuate a little during spring travel. The mechanical pump works the same way.

Personally, I say put the pump in and if, in 20 years, it acts up consider doing something different. No need for the complexity and expense of a higher pressure and regulator. I have well over 100K miles on mine with no service.

If you want to slow the pulse rate down a little, put a restriction (clamp) on the return line at the top of the filter. You can tune to any pulse rate you want.

I like this thread

Me too!

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
That's a great point about restricting the return flow. I guess it can't hurt anything can it. And a slower pulse should mean an even longer pump life! Im excited to possibly/actually have an E pump (or anything) that may still be of quality and won't have to replace it for a while. Pretty neat feeling that I had forgotten about.

On my 446 truck, I am noticing about 1psi higher fuel pressure. Same gauge. But I think that may be due to them returning less fuel

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yes I did, on the inside of the frame rail just ahead/downstream of where the selector valve would be. I will snap a pic soon. My bracket is kind of crude but I was in a hurry, and it was more so to see if everything would work and I will now try to make a better bracket for future trucks. Assuming that these pumps hold out.
The instructions do state that they push fuel better then pull, like most pumps; so although an under hood mounting location would be most convenient, Im trying to follow the rules the best I can to ensure longevity.
Pretty much everything in life is a longevity and reliability "test" for me now. As I have been burnt so much by junk replacement parts.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
As far as “tuning” the return flow from the top of the filter.....I removed the orficed fitting from the filter head and installed a plain hose barb. Then I installed a Swadgelok poppet valve with adjustable pressure. With a little trial and error I now have 7psi max fuel psi, 6.5 idling, 5.5 underload max boost. Running parelell Facets for now. I will get the part # for the swadgelok and post. Point is it works like a regulator with very simple install and minimal $.

PROFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since poppet more off/on action than regulator I might try with fuel oil furnace snubber to smooth out pressure. I assume WAK if using a regulator instead it must be a bypass model (like Holley12-803BP). Other style regulates downstream/return pressure which we don't want.

Last edited:

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I did, on the inside of the frame rail just ahead/downstream of where the selector valve would be. I will snap a pic soon. My bracket is kind of crude but I was in a hurry, and it was more so to see if everything would work and I will now try to make a better bracket for future trucks. Assuming that these pumps hold out.
The instructions do state that they push fuel better then pull, like most pumps; so although an under hood mounting location would be most convenient, Im trying to follow the rules the best I can to ensure longevity.
Pretty much everything in life is a longevity and reliability "test" for me now. As I have been burnt so much by junk replacement parts.

Thanks!
Looking forward to seeing the images.
Life is a reliability test...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online