Redneck 6.9 Rebuild (don't try this at home)

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Thanks! Most of what I've learned about diesel engines has been from this site tho.

The knowledge of the Oilburners collective is wide and deep. :hail

Stick around long enough and you will gain the knowledge too. ;)

CADHOWDY

Reaction score
I just stumbled onto this thread recently and also noticed you (bbjordan) are a fellow Albertan. I'm gonna take a guess and say the '86 is still running strong and I'm just curious about any new happenings with the project.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
CADHOWDY, yes, the '86 is still running strong, but the body needs some love. It has developed a leak from the windshield into the cab, the power windows don't work, lots of body rust... It's not a pretty California truck. Nothing new to report. I have it stored at my brother's farm, as I have no room for it in the city of Calgary. That will change tho, as I am moving to Manitoba in the fall.

Here is the latest video of it running:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OlKoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work, i havent been on th sight for a while so playing catchup too. At my age, i blink and 3 more grandkids show up. im still running my side turbo 7.3 diesel , had the heads off once, lapped and smoothed out the ports . amazingly they just keep burning.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Pulled the '86 out from the boneyard at my brother's place after being parked for two years. After driving it about 3.5 hours, we hit a rest stop. We thought we smelled campfire, or grass burning...but it was just around the truck. Then we realized it was coming from the truck. My son said, we should video this. So...

https://youtu.be/qo_lm3ap0as

Spent most of today exorcising the electrical gremlins. Redid a number of electrical connections, and cleaned up some grounds. Also replaced the High/Low beam headlight switch. The windshield is leaking from the top, so I removed the trim to let it dry out before trying to seal it up. It's got a 1300 km trip ahead of it next week!

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Campfire/pine straw burning smell? Bet your heater box is full of dead leaves and the blower resistor is heating them and making them smoke/ burn. Clean out the heater box or watch the truck burn to the ground, ask me how I know... It happened to me the very first time I drove my '84 F150 to work when I was 16. Not something I'd like to see happen to anyone else.

*Edit* I should have watched the video before commenting but I'm happy you got out better than me. It cost me a dash, a hood, inner and outer HVAC boxes, inner fender carpet and seat. Luckily in the late 90's junkyards were full of these trucks and I got nicer pieces than what I had before.

Last edited:

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Made it to Ashern MB (over 1300 km) with no problems. Averaged about 16L/100 km, about 14.7 US mpg with 4 engine blocks in the bed, and 4 mattress on top. Using my WMO fuel cocktail FTW!

I love this truck.

Pic of the convoy in Yorkton SK.

You must be registered for see images attach

OlKoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats great, 15-18 is reasenable. Depending on the speeds, terrain, and gearing. Hauling my 2800 lb camper, i can get 17.5 going to Missoula MT down 200 via the Kootenay National Park from Bonners Ferry. Did that a few years back. Feathering the peddle as i wasnt in a rush. Sure beat my friend Skeeter coming into Missoula from Sokane pulling a 26 footer, with a 351M, automatic getting 12. MPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online