Moose Review ---- The Carter P4070 Fuel Pump

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how long did your guys' stock pumps last? what are some signs of the pump going?.......sorry to thread jack
Most people swap to e-pumps so they can purge air from new fuel filter, prime system, swap tanks when stalled outta fuel w/o cranking engine over.

You know the mechanical has failed when the thing cant pump well or if you find diesel in the oil!

Black dawg

Reaction score
Has anybody torn down one of these carter pumps? The pump that the 24v cummins uses looks identical, and there is a coupler between the motor and pump that is plastic. A lot of times this coupler will break causing loss of fuel pressure. If this 4070 pump has this same coupler, I would be very careful with fuel viscosity.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Duralift is rail mounted, only 2' or less from the fwd tank... no issues to date, used as a daily driver.

One of those pre-filters may help settle down the tank vortex, although I have my doubts about the siphon/feed issue because the pick up is at the bottom of the tank. I can see an air suction problem around empty.... but then again, not really, until the fuel is gone. All you have to do is look at the inherent pick up tube design restriction.

In order for the siphon effect to really have an affect, the pump would have to be mounted so low from the fuel source, that the weight of the fuel held open the spring on the check ball....in an eccentric pump. Once the filter housing was full, along with the rest of the fuel lines, siphon could not even occur due to the dead heading of fuel in a closed circuit.

I can't help but wonder what else caused the pump to act up, or if it was mounted so low from the tank, that the fuels weight kept it open?? But then again, not too many tanks mounted above far enough to matter.

In boats, we have check valves in many tanks to prevent reverse siphoning, that is to keep primed fuel in the primed condition, not siphoning "back" into the tank.

We use Carters all the time in both diesel and gasser applications. They usually work good, even in a rust environment. Of course, protecting connections, priming and painting the all metal pump gives it more longevity.... and yes, the dual black wires are annoying. I considered the Carter on my own rail until one of my customers off loaded his boat and basically gave me an in-box Duralift...$25.00!

I guess we'll see how long the Carters will last in a more dense environment. It will be interesting to see the results.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm sure everyones experience will vary based on the condition of their fuel tank, their fuel, and their environment. My fuel tank was new last winter. My fuel is home brew and filtered, and my fuel pickup a bit different from what most of you run, as it has a little lift pump on it. I will be taking the Holley apart, and discussing the yea/nay abilitity to repair or rebuild it. The same will be done with the Carter when the time comes. I'm sure a pre-filter would be installed if I was doing this under different conditions, but in the name of science, I guess you could say I'm inviting difficulty on purpose, as a worse case scenario is always more usefull than ideal conditions, since the theory is anything should last longer if you take care of it. My Holley problem was with the motor, and the pumping chamber was never opened or rebuilt. Aside from the shape of the pieces inside, it appears the pumping chamber of the two brands are esentially the same. It is my hope that the test will concentrate on the viability of the electric motor and major design philosophy differences between the two, rather than the pumping chambers, as that seems to be where the majority of the difference between the two is.

So any update?
Did/is it lasting?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. I've been very happy with it, and I'M STILL RUNNING THE SAME PUMP. I'd buy another one without thinking about it. Wow... can't believe its been that long already. I did run all kinds of crap through this thing, and all that crap killed the 6.9 it was feeding. Since the 7.3 transplant, it has been running only commercial #2, and doing so with no issues. Too bad all the pics were lost in the Webshots debacle.

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. I've been very happy with it, and I'M STILL RUNNING THE SAME PUMP. I'd buy another one without thinking about it. Wow... can't believe its been that long already. I did run all kinds of crap through this thing, and all that crap killed the 6.9 it was feeding. Since the 7.3 transplant, it has been running only commercial #2, and doing so with no issues. Too bad all the pics were lost in the Webshots debacle.

Agnem, Thank you so much for following up on this. I was in search of an electric pump that was readily available and reliable and it looks like this is it!

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
I just realized this is the same pump we have on our 2188 Combine (PN 87472310), Its $303 from the CIH Dealer.
Has been feeding the 8.3 Cummins just fine. I think the old one was a Holley and lasted ~8000Hrs.
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online