Moose Review ---- The Carter P4070 Fuel Pump

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i also run those inline see through filters, they are cheap and plentiful. since then i have not clogged the screen inside my fuel pump. i know they are not the best in filtering but they are basically just a prefilter to me.

for a cheap easily servicable and readily availible filter they cant be beat.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure everyones experience will vary based on the condition of their fuel tank, their fuel, and their environment. My fuel tank was new last winter. My fuel is home brew and filtered, and my fuel pickup a bit different from what most of you run, as it has a little lift pump on it. I will be taking the Holley apart, and discussing the yea/nay abilitity to repair or rebuild it. The same will be done with the Carter when the time comes. I'm sure a pre-filter would be installed if I was doing this under different conditions, but in the name of science, I guess you could say I'm inviting difficulty on purpose, as a worse case scenario is always more usefull than ideal conditions, since the theory is anything should last longer if you take care of it. My Holley problem was with the motor, and the pumping chamber was never opened or rebuilt. Aside from the shape of the pieces inside, it appears the pumping chamber of the two brands are esentially the same. It is my hope that the test will concentrate on the viability of the electric motor and major design philosophy differences between the two, rather than the pumping chambers, as that seems to be where the majority of the difference between the two is.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one of those Carters sitting in a box...and one of these days I will install it...:frustrate

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
One thing I recently experienced with my bed tank, if anyone is ever mounting a Facet Duralift , those puppies DO NOT like to be mounted down under a tank like most electric pumps. THey prefer to be mounted above a tank. That is what they were designed for. if you mount them down below the things can cavitate from the siphon effect of the flowing fuel from the tank and stop pumping. I got together with the tech folks at the company and they suggested to mount the pump for my bed tank above the tank and sure enough it runs like a dream now. I now have a redundant setup with seperate pumps on each tank with switchable power. We're getting ready for a cross country trip and I wanted some redundancies.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We ran that carter pump on my dads CTD for about 200k with no issues after the stock engine mounted electric lift pump was needing replacement for a second time. It finally started getting weak while I was borrowing it so I picked up a red pump. The red is a lot louder but they both pump with no issues.

We tried running a cheap see through pre filter but all it did was get sucked inside out in a matter of about 20 miles... :confused:

You didn't have it installed backwards ?? :dunno

I have been using them for years with no problems whatsoever. ;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I recently experienced with my bed tank, if anyone is ever mounting a Facet Duralift , those puppies DO NOT like to be mounted down under a tank like most electric pumps. THey prefer to be mounted above a tank. That is what they were designed for. if you mount them down below the things can cavitate from the siphon effect of the flowing fuel from the tank and stop pumping. I got together with the tech folks at the company and they suggested to mount the pump for my bed tank above the tank and sure enough it runs like a dream now. I now have a redundant setup with seperate pumps on each tank with switchable power. We're getting ready for a cross country trip and I wanted some redundancies.

This is interesting info Robert. I have my facet pump mounted on the framerail under the driver's side door, so it's about level with my fuel tank, certainly at anything below an absolutely full tank. I never knew they were picky, I just though all electric pumps are pushers not pullers. Perhaps I am thinking too simplistically. No problems with it there yet, but from your experience, it sounds like I might have some if I ever install an in-bed tank huh? Also the facet pumps should have leak-lock, purchased from the facet/carrier dealer or any place else you can get it, installed on the threads. If not, that weird top fitting WILL leak....it's just a matter of when.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel or anyone else who has this pump - what's the sound like when it's healthy? Is it a steady hum, or is more a thwack-thwack like - sorry I can't do any better - a G scale lawnmower or something? My truck came with one that sounds like the lawnmower, and it doesn't sound too healthy - tends to vary in pitch although it occurred to be that it could just be pressure building up before I start the truck. I have another one, but if this one's healthy, I might as well not worry about swapping. Thanks.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel or anyone else who has this pump - what's the sound like when it's healthy? Is it a steady hum, or is more a thwack-thwack like - sorry I can't do any better - a G scale lawnmower or something? My truck came with one that sounds like the lawnmower, and it doesn't sound too healthy - tends to vary in pitch although it occurred to be that it could just be pressure building up before I start the truck. I have another one, but if this one's healthy, I might as well not worry about swapping. Thanks.

Has the pump sat un-used for any length of time ??

It reads like possibly you have a stuck vane or two.

Examine the vanes and polish away any rust or roughness; you want those vanes really free to slide in and out with the eccentric. :)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
This is interesting info Robert. I have my facet pump mounted on the framerail under the driver's side door, so it's about level with my fuel tank, certainly at anything below an absolutely full tank. I never knew they were picky, I just though all electric pumps are pushers not pullers. Perhaps I am thinking too simplistically. No problems with it there yet, but from your experience, it sounds like I might have some if I ever install an in-bed tank huh? Also the facet pumps should have leak-lock, purchased from the facet/carrier dealer or any place else you can get it, installed on the threads. If not, that weird top fitting WILL leak....it's just a matter of when.

Yup, if you put a bed tank in with that sucker on the frame rail , it'll just surge and stall. Mount it above the tank, no worries. Those things were designed to pull, not push. I've never had mine leak . I use the permetex pipe thread sealant on my diesel NPT fittings and I have two of those pumps on my truck now ;Sweet I wanted a redundant system so each tank has it's own switchable pump now.

papastruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has the pump sat un-used for any length of time ??

It reads like possibly you have a stuck vane or two.

Examine the vanes and polish away any rust or roughness; you want those vanes really free to slide in and out with the eccentric. :)

Yeah, it sat for a lot of last winter while I plotted it's trip east, and I think for like 4 or 5 months before I bought it. Thanks for the info.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I had a Cat 613 scraper with a 3208 for years. The fuel tank on these is in the back of the scraper, at least 20 ft away from the engine. So an electric pump was required to push the fuel up to the engine. My experience with the Carter was it was one of the better choices (20 years ago, but doesn't look like they changed much) But what usually failed was the drive between the motor shaft and the rotor. A little plastic part. More recently, I have a 2003 truck in the fleet with a Cummins ISL (electronic 8.3 basically). It has a Carter design pump installed right on the side of the block by Cummins. It is built on to an aluminum block with #12 ORB ports on it! I would guess the engine has 10,000 hours on it at least, and we have only changed the pump once! So Carter isn't too bad.

I put a Facet Duralift on the 86 after several others. I have to disagree withthe statement that ALL electric pumps are made to push fuel. Because it was designed for ****** duty, the specs on this pump say it will LIFT fuel 10 feet! It is very self priming for sure!

I do agree many electric pumps are best used to push fuel.

GM

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Anyone running this pump notice it changes tone while running? If I turn my ignition on with out starting the engine the pump will run and the sound it makes changes.

It almost sounds like its running out of fuel then re priming. I would think it would have more of a constant tone.:dunno

tbryanh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... I have my facet pump mounted on the framerail under the driver's side door, so it's about level with my fuel tank, certainly at anything below an absolutely full tank.... No problems with it there ...

I am in the process of installing a Facet Duralift in the frame rail too. (Not too many choices for installation locations with an Econoline.) How long have you been running yours there?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone running this pump notice it changes tone while running? If I turn my ignition on with out starting the engine the pump will run and the sound it makes changes.

It almost sounds like its running out of fuel then re priming. I would think it would have more of a constant tone.:dunno

Just like any pump, even a well-pump, once the system becomes somewhat pressurized, they change their tune.

When the engine is not running, the first few seconds, the pump is just taking the slack out of things; once the pump has pressurized the system, it will load up and thus change it's tone/sound.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how long did your guys' stock pumps last? what are some signs of the pump going?.......sorry to thread jack