Moose Review ---- The Carter P4070 Fuel Pump

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so I was interested in comparing the tried and trusted (by me, anyway.) Holley Red to another vane type pump just in the interest of science and on the odd chance that another pump might actually be better. After asking around on the board, the Carter P4070 was mentioned, and because Carter probably makes most of the OEM fuel pumps for the big 3 as well as others, I thought it would make a logical choice. I ordered a P4070 from Jegs, and received it in 2 days. The price was $69.99, compared with Jegs price of $107.99 for a Holley Red. So the Carter was actually $38 cheaper.

My Holley Red was failing due to a brush contact issue. The pump still worked fine, but sometimes to get it to start, I would have to whack it with a broom handle to bounce the brushes. I was intrieged by the idea that the Carter pump is built upside down compared to the Holley Red, and the philosophy on pump design is completely opposite. While Holley tries to keep the motor dry, and above the pump chamber, the Carter has the motor under the pump chamber, and the motor is allowed to swim in whatever juices your pumping with it. Considering the wild cocktail of fuels that the Moosestang runs, this should be interesting.

You must be registered for see images

Here we have the Holley with 40,000 miles on it on the left. The box for the new Carter is on the right.

Out of the box, the Carter has a lot more "stuff" associated with it. The Holley Red is esentially just the pump in the box, with the electrical leads permenently connected and no fittings. A rubber "gasket" is included to mount the pump to the vehicle. The Carter comes with a hardware bag that includes a bracket, rubber bushings, 6 nuts, 2 bolts, 6 washers 2 wire assemblies, and brass nipples for 3/8" hose.

Mounting - The Holley Red mounts easily with 2 bolts. Simply drill 2 holes, put the rubber gasket between the pump and the mounting surface and use 2 bolts to secure it. Mounting the Carter is much more involved. First, you must locate the bracket and mount it. Convienently, the distance between the mounting holes on the Holley and Carter are the same. This is great, because it means you can switch between both pumps without changing the way you mount them. Once the bracket is bolted to the frame, or whatever your mounting it to, you can insert the rubber bushings into 3 of the six holes provided. The extra holes and triangular mounting pattern allow you to mount the pump in 3 orientations, giving much more flexibility than the Holley. Once the bushing are installed, washers are put on the pump mounting studs, the studs are passed through the bushings, then small washers, locknuts, and nuts are put on. Given the mounting scheme and extra rubber I was expecting this pump to be really quiet.

Installation - Aside from the physical mounting, the nipples that come with the pump supposedly do not need any sealant. In fact, you are warned not to use teflon tape because this may crack the pump housing. ;Really There are also multiple warnings that a pre-filter is required for this pump. I considered this, but since I am comparing the Holley and Carter for longevity, I did not want to change the quality of the fuel the pump would be receiving. Conseqently, the Carter is not being filtered any more than the Holley was. The Moosestang has a sock in the tank, AND the Ford in-tank lift pump feeding the Carter, so I felt there was sufficient filtration. Now, strickly speaking, the Holley Red DOES feature an intergal filter screen. I do not think the Carter has one. If the Carter meets an early demise, this will need to be considered, but IF a prefilter is really needed, then this will negate any cost advantages of the Carter.

Electrical - The Holley Red has clearly marked black and red wires for frame ground and hot respectively, that are permenently attached. The Carter has black only wires, with non-keyed contact studs that are identical. This means that the wires on the Carter are not secure, and could be pulled off by either an errant tree branch, or malicious pair of fingers. Once off, they could be easily reversed and the pump made to run backwards. This is a serious design flaw in my opinion. If you impliment this pump, be sure to label the connections clearly. Both pumps take 12 volts, and a nominal amount of current to run.

Operation - Given the mounting scheme, and the submersed nature of the Carter pump motor, I was shocked at how loud it was. It IS quieter than the Holley Red, but still it was easily heard, which in my case I consider this a blessing. If it had been virtually silent, I would not have been too happy, as I like a pump that tells me it is running. But for those who like to complain about the noise of the Holley, this pump will not make you that much happier. The Carter has fuel flow and presure characteristics that are right there with the Holley Red. The Carter flows 72 GPH and the Holley flows 97, flowing freely. At 5 PSI, the Carter does not have an advertised flow rate, but the Holley lists 67 GPH.

Summary - Only time will tell which pump will hold up better in my application. Unless the Carter outlasts the Holley by a wide margin, my guts still say the Holley is the better pump. It has more balls on paper, mounts easier, and features serviceable pump parts as well as an inlet screen built-in. The Carter has some quirky advantages - the electrical connections are both a curse and a blessing, but you won't have to add a plug or get out the wire snips to remove a Carter pump for replacement. The versatility in mounting may give it an edge over the Holley in some situations. Noise differences between the pumps in my opinion are not significant enough to warrant consideration in the purchasing decision. The Carter is significantly cheaper, so if longevity is equal it's clearly the price point leader. It was also made in USA. I am not sure about the Holley on that front.

You must be registered for see images

The Carter P4070 pump ended up hanging a good bit lower than the Holley for my application, using the same mounting holes as the Holley Red.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
nice write up, on a side note the carter does have a internal filter screen. another interesting side note is the carter had rounded "paddles" where they rode in the elliptical cavity where the holleys were squared off.

i dont know if this means much but i would think the added rounds were for a reason.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah! So you've had one apart? That's good info. Thank you. Yes, I run a mucky muck of oil ATF, and whatever I can get.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Good write-up Mel ;Sweet. One day I will switch over to electric. This Carter pump plus another filter would be fairly nice ;Sweet.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
You stepped back a PSI (Holley Red 7, P4070 6) while I stepped up a PSI using the P4594. I'm of the opinon (while I understand why you didn't for comparative puposes) that either pump should have a pre-filter, since both recommend it, thus negating any price difference as well. I would think fuel other than #2 would make that even more beneficial. I have over 5 years on mine, maybe 6 and it is MUCH quieter than a holley red and cost just a little more than half what the holley did.

Will be interesting to see how it goes...personally, I don't see the mounting as more complex on the Carter, just prefer it over the Holley...then again, I'm biased from years of not being real satisfied with Holley.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for review Mel. I've been happy with my Holley as well for the last 4 years and 25,000 miles. I also wanted to try a different pump and see what the difference is. I got a new Facet Duralift for $40. I'm going to use it on the crew cab. I have a pressure regulator to keep the pressure at 7 psi max. I can adjust the pressure is needed with the Holley regulator. I'm also running a fuel pressure gauge to keep tabs on that when the truck is running. The top inlet on the Facet is annoying and mounting will be a bit more complicated that the Holley, but for $40, I'll give it a try.

I'll post my experience with that pump as well when the time comes.

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I was pretty happy with the Carter I had on Mater. It was a used pump when i got it and it would grumble at the 50/50 wmo mix.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> INLINE PRE - FILTER <<<

I am adamant in my use of a simple inline filter immediately ahead of ANY lift-pump, regardless of manufacturer's suggestions or recommendations.

I was log-chained home behind a tri-axle milk-truck some years ago due to a fuel blockage issue that could not be found or remedied in the busy intersection where the engine ran out of fuel and shutdown.

Thank goodness that I was only a few miles from home.

After exhaustive troubleshooting, I finally decided the restriction was within the lift-pump itself.

With the pump removed and on my work-bench, I started removing my expensive JIC fittings to swap them onto another pump.

It was then, and only then, that I could see a big *** of **** lodged against the internal screen of the pump, completely blocking the flow of fuel.

From that day hence, there has always been, and will always be, a simple see-thru plastic inline filter immediately ahead of every lift-pump, be it mechanical or electric.

Since that episode, I have twice more shut down on the road due to that little pre-filter becoming blocked; both times, I was back in action in less than five minutes by simply swapping in a fresh filter.

I buy these simple filters at swap-meets in bulk, meaning loose in a barrel, three-for-five-bucks.

It is far easier to replace an inline pre-filter than to disect a lift-pump to access the screen, with a plain old screw-driver being the only tool needed.

Longevity of the pump not-withstanding, the simple cheap insurance that I won't repeat my first experience is worth the cost of many hundreds of filters to me. :)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a second-hand diesel tractor that has had the mechanical lift-pump by-passed and replaced with a tiny FACET electric lift-pump.

This little pump is barely bigger than one of my inline pre-filters and installs in the fuel-line in the same manner = inline, with fuel coming in one end and going out the other.

If it makes any noise at all, I cannot hear it; but, I can feel it running when I place a hand on it.

I can take the fuel line loose and it will shoot fuel plumb across the tractor.

It is the only pump of it's type that I have ever seen. :)

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
I recently bought a second-hand diesel tractor that has had the mechanical lift-pump by-passed and replaced with a tiny FACET electric lift-pump.

This little pump is barely bigger than one of my inline pre-filters and installs in the fuel-line in the same manner = inline, with fuel coming in one end and going out the other.

If it makes any noise at all, I cannot hear it; but, I can feel it running when I place a hand on it.

I can take the fuel line loose and it will shoot fuel plumb across the tractor.

It is the only pump of it's type that I have ever seen. :)

i got a facet on a gasser and it knocks like hell when its out of fuel but when fuel is running threw it its quiet as can be. also it wont pump up hill? :dunno

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
We ran that carter pump on my dads CTD for about 200k with no issues after the stock engine mounted electric lift pump was needing replacement for a second time. It finally started getting weak while I was borrowing it so I picked up a red pump. The red is a lot louder but they both pump with no issues.

We tried running a cheap see through pre filter but all it did was get sucked inside out in a matter of about 20 miles... :confused:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online