Very pissed off

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
*begin rant*

So i decided to give Smokie his first oil change since i bought it. cool right? after i get the drain plug out and oil drained i removed the oil filter...well wouldnt u know it i got an oil bath...it was running out all over from the top. luckily the truck wasnt warm, just hot enough to touch the rad hoses so i didnt get scalded.

next i went to put on the PowerStroke filter (FL1995) since i read it has more capacity and filters better?..well it doesnt fit. its about 3" to long to reach the filter head since its at such a goofy angle. so now i need to get me a stock motorcraft filter, which is just great since i need to wait till my gal gets here so i can get a ride to the parts store.

i thought the PSD filter was supposed to work -cuss -cuss -cuss :backoff :mad:

Last edited:

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i decided to give Smokie his first oil change since i bought it. cool right? after i get the drain plug out and oil drained i removed the oil filter...well wouldnt u know it i got an oil bath...it was running out all over from the top. luckily the truck wasnt warm, just hot enough to touch the rad hoses so i didnt get scalded.

next i went to put on the PowerStroke filter (FL1995) since i read it has more capacity and filters better?..well it doesnt fit. its about 3" to long to reach the filter head since its at such a goofy angle. so now i need to get me a stock motorcraft filter, which is just great since i need to wait till my gal gets here so i can get a ride to the parts store.

i thought the PSD filter was supposed to work -cuss -cuss -cuss :backoff :mad:

Yeah, you have to be prepared for it to dump about a half a quart of oil when you crack the seal on the filter - it drains out of the oil cooler.

That is weird about the PSD filter not fitting. And it is an FL1995, huh? IIRC that is the number of the Motorcraft I buy for my truck and it fits - it is close to the oil pan and bellhousing, but it fits. I wonder if maybe your truck has the oil cooler off a van motor installed - IIRC, they are at a weird/different angle...

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
well, it hits the crossmemember. its like 15* off at the most...its so dang close!

and its the right filter, i checked three times LOL. could be ill get a pic if i can after i clean up the mess and find out what is leakin oil again...looks like the valve cover gasket again

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does? Do you have an E-series motor in you F-series truck. The oil cooler heads are different and they position the cooler a bit differently to fit in the van chassis. If you have a van cooler, that may explain why it won't fit. It is a bit more difficult to wrestle on the FL1995 PSD filter the first time, but it goes on there. I can't say I've heard of others having trouble with it fitting before.

Heath

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
AFAIK its the original motor as everything else is/was original. i tried all different ways to snake it in w/o any luck.

oh well off i go again to try.

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i take an ice pick and put a hole in the filter and let it drain before i take it off its a lot less mess

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should not be a problem with this fitting an 88' F-250 4X4. My only guess is that your drivetrain is shifted forward. All the bolts from what is involved with the motor mounts, to the trans crossmember, to the trans, all have holes that are either a little big, or oblonged. It's possible that your motor et al, is as far forward as possible. Losening all these fastners may allow you to move the motor back far enough for it to work.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A PSD filter will not fit on my truck unless I grind the crossmember lip. Its really close with a stock filter. If I get a deal on some PSD filters I'll run them, but till then I'll run the stock ones that are 3-4 bucks cheaper.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
It was real close on my truck but it did fit. That is wierd the some will and some won't. Guess like Mel said, if the driveline is shifted forward just 1/4" it would make a difference.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the K&N version of the PSD filter on my truck, and its a tight fit, but it fits with out any real issue. Its snug against some steel lines, not sure which ones. I like the idea about pokin a hole in the oil filter never thought of that one, for next time... Is there a better oil filter that i can get for it? I like the K&M, has a nit on the bottom to take it off with, and has a good overall build?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i got mine to fit, the power steering lines on the crossmember shifted because the plastic clips snapped. i had to bend em, then hold em down while i screwed the filter up...but its up there.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I poke a hole in my filter with a 16 penny nail, then let it drain while the pan is draining.

PSD filter fits fine on both of my trucks.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yep I punch a hole in my filter first also the very first one I changed slipped out of my hands landed on the leaf springs getting stuck dumping all the oil all over me. Never tried a PSD filter as the stock one is close enough but it looks like the longer filter would cause me more problems with the oil pan then the cross member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle