Type of hose clamps?

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I was wondering what you have found are the best type of hose clamps to use? I have been using the basic worm drive hose clamps, but they don’t seem to work very well. They loosen up over time and also don’t allow for a lot of even clamping force around hoses before strip out or break.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I buy the fuel injection line clamps. They cost more but clamp evenly around hose and do not cut into hose.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on what you're clamping...if charge air cooler boots that's it's own thing, I think called T-bolt clamps. For the rest:

I haven't tried fuel injection clamps but I find that it depends a lot on the application. If the tube the hose and clamp go around are plastic, spring clamps are usually much better than they get credit for, since they provide even pressure and wont warp/damage the plastic. They also expand and contract with heat far more than a static type clamp.

One note on worm-drive or other similar types is surface prep. If it's not smooth and dry when you clamp it, then you'll have to really crank down on the clamp, deforming the clamp/tube and rubber. And on the worm drive if you tighten so much the rubber is squeezing through the little slots in the band, it's too tight.
The other thing is if you get leaks with firm pressure on the clamp, it's often easiest to cut off 1.5-2" of hose and try again with nice fresh hose.

My .02, hope it helps!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, the best clamps to use are those aggravating clamps the factory uses like this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Or you can use a worm clamp with a spring in it like this.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will check these out. Mostly I am clamping coolant lines, but maybe a few low pressure fuel lines as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a special set of pliers that work on the wire spring clamps.. buy some and never regret spending the money.. you will be glad you did.

Either buy the pliers.. or a huge box of band aids and blood stop... your choice...

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use this type. I get them at Ace. I use them for things up to 1". Above 1" I use those constant tension hose clamps with the spring that was posted in the pic above.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, the best clamps to use are those aggravating clamps the factory uses like this.

Or you can use a worm clamp with a spring in it like this.

I don’t like the wire clamps because it puts pressure on a small surface area, and it wears into the hoses faster.

The second image isn’t a gear clamp it’s a t bolt clamp with a tension spring

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For small hoses I know will be rarely removed or replaced, I use these: https://www.mcmaster.com/#pinch-clamps/

They're cheap, even for stainless, and quickly installed with one pinch from the pliers. Not hard to cut off if you need to, either. Since I redid all the lines in my fuel system with 5/16" and 3/8" diesel-rated hose (and the aftermarket FSV which has hose barbs too), it all went together fast and neatly. ;)

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI they sell that type at home depot for PEX tubing - but only a few sizes.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Worm drive clamps work just fine as long as you do not overtighten. I have never had leaks when just tightening them only until the hose will not twist. Seems too light, but it works great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online