Turbo

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that towing a trailer over 10k requires a class A cdl.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong with the banks except for the cost and the turbo being almost unrebuildable and very expensive to update to the modern parts that go into my turbos, for less than the cost of a banks kit the OP is getting a full turbo kit ceramic coated black, billet GTX3582 turbo based on the factory turbo frame, full intercooler kit and 6637 intake kit. It also come with installation instructions with color pictures along with a much more substantial guide for tuning the stock pump than what banks offers, along with the kit being tailored to each truck’s supporting mods and intended purpose, as opposed to one base cookie cutter design meant for one power level.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong with the banks except for the cost and the turbo being almost unrebuildable and very expensive to update to the modern parts that go into my turbos, for less than the cost of a banks kit the OP is getting a full turbo kit ceramic coated black, billet GTX3582 turbo based on the factory turbo frame, full intercooler kit and 6637 intake kit. It also come with installation instructions with color pictures along with a much more substantial guide for tuning the stock pump than what banks offers, along with the kit being tailored to each truck’s supporting mods and intended purpose, as opposed to one base cookie cutter design meant for one power level.

Don't forget customer service that actually speaks English and doesn't require pressing 1 first!

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the heating issue, I've heard and read other people complain about the 7.3 IDI running hot under load. Supposedly because the cylinder walls are thinner they aren't as efficient at transferring heat to the cooling system. I replaced the thermostat when I rebuilt the engine with one right from the Ford dealership and had the radiator cleaned out but its always been this way. Running on flat roads with no load it will run at 190-195 all day. But pulling a trailer up a hill it will quickly climb above 210. I've had it hit 230-240 a few times but I've never pushed it past that...I've slowed down and eased off until it dropped. I'm hoping with the turbo the heating issue won't be as bad since I won't have to work it as hard.

I'd check your timing if you're running hot. Yes running loaded and heavy while NA will make heat, but I don't think it should be getting that hot if your radiator/water pump/thermostat are all in good condition.

If you're timing is fine/in spec, then I'd be looking at the cooling fan/clutch to make sure that's working right.

When you rebuilt the engine, did you set the timing then or did you just align the marks?

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you rebuilt the engine, did you set the timing then or did you just align the marks?
Its been so long ago I don't remember. I do have a luminosity probe around somewhere if I can find it. What is the timing spec on these?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On na motors I set them 8-9*, turbo motors I’ll go a little less to push more energy out the exhaust, so 7-8*. The factory spec is 8.5* +/-2

cozinsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that towing a trailer over 10k requires a class A cdl.
I've asked around about this in the past and as I've been told: as long as the combined total GVWR does not exceed 26,000 I'm not required to have a CDL. As I understand it, if the power unit is over 26K and the trailer exceeds 10K, then I need a CDL. Even if the trailer is 15K loaded there's no way I'd hit 26K total.

Last edited:

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've asked around about this in the past and as I've been told: as long as the combined total GVWR does not exceed 26,000 I'm not required to have a CDL. As I understand it, if the power unit is over 26K and the trailer exceeds 10K, then I need a CDL. Even if the trailer is 15K loaded there's no way I'd hit 26K total.

Yup, I looked into this as much as I could. As far as I can tell, as long as your overall GVWR(truck+trailer) is less than 26K, and you don't go over weight on your axles(front, rear and trailers, and truck payload), you are legal. So, in theory... 8800lb gvwr truck weighing 6600lbs empty, a trailer could be as much as 17200; if you have 10% of the weight on the truck, you are still at 8320 lbs on the truck... Put a couple of passengers and maby a tool box in there and still be OK.

That all being said... I've heard plenty of people claiming that that is too much, and you need to go by the limit in the truck's manual - which says that a diesel with 4.10 ratio should have a max GCVWR of 14,000lbs... But a 460 with 5.13 gearing can handle 26,000.