Turbo?

ull7

Ford f250 Greaser
Reaction score
Just wondering if it would be possible to mount a turbo on the exhuast right after the two sides combine in the y pipe under the cab, do all turbos require oil to be fed to them? my idea is to place one there and pipe the air up to the air cleaner inlet and seal off the air cleaner to provide the boost. crazy idea?
or even feasible?

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
It's possible, but why not just do the typical pedistol setup like the aftermarket offers?

These guy's http://www.ststurbo.com/ have been known to mount turbo's as far back as the rear bumper on some cars. They claim that an intercooler is not benefitial because the air is cooled by all the long piping under the vehicle... Don't know about turbo lag though...

ull7

Ford f250 Greaser
Reaction score
hmmm

just thinking, I have tons of room under the cab and bed so why mess with taking the exhaust manifold off and all that. I am thinking about an old miltary type turbo that would work great for the application.:thumbsup:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
just thinking, I have tons of room under the cab and bed so why mess with taking the exhaust manifold off and all that. I am thinking about an old miltary type turbo that would work great for the application.:thumbsup:

No need to remove the exhaust manifold, but it can and have been done by some users on this site.

The aftermarket kits are very simple ( I prefer the Hypermax) and will save You a lot of grief.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.....do all turbos require oil to be fed to them?

Yes they do. And, that is the big issue with remotely mounting turbos. STS systems often require a separate oil pump to supply the turbo with adequate oil. No oil = dead turbo in a hurry.

Heath.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes, all turbos require oil. They spin upwards of 120,000 rpm at full boost. So any loss oil oil or no oil will burn the bushing bearings rather quickly. Mounting a turbo under the motor will work but then you need a seperate oil pump to return the oil to the oil pan. Thats why the turbo is mounted on top of the motors. The oil drains back without the need for a pump kinda free return...

ull7

Ford f250 Greaser
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I have the turbo coming soon it is a Hamilton military turbo not sure what it was off of maybe aircraft? Has round inlets and outlets.so instalation is going to be interesting cost me 28 bucks! on ebay so if it never gets put on it will make an interesting doorstop!
Here are some pics

Attachments

• 76b6_1.jpg
    76b6_1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 797a_1.jpg
    797a_1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 7802_1.jpg
    7802_1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 11

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw a late model truck that ran a turbo from under the cab. The plus is all the room in the engine compartment. The minus the exhaust cooling down before it gets to the turbo. Air expands with heat and cold air has more density. Plumbing the cold air to travel up to the intake may cause the air to heat up a little on it's journey. Another minus is all the pipe work you'll need. Don't grab your fresh air from under the truck, you'll just be asking to suck water and other debris. Also you can run engine coolant instead on oil for cooling and lube of turbo.
Looking at your turbo pics I'd have to agree that it looks too small for the 6.9/7.3. Could be nice on a pinto engine.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was watching "trucks" one day and they had a 93 ford lightning on there that they installed a turbo kit on. the turbo kit installed where the factory muffler was. they never put a muffler back on there and it sounded badass. iirc it had its own oil pump/tank/filter system that went onto the turbo to keep it lubed. they said the same thing about not needing an intercooler due to how long the tubing was.

ull7

Ford f250 Greaser
Reaction score
well wont know what size it is untill I get it. To small? maybe throw in on my scooter!

ull7

Ford f250 Greaser
Reaction score
cookoo well just got it today! it is fairly big and could possibly work the one thing though I have noticed is that it has instead of a oil line input a plate that says replace grease cartridge every 250 hours of use!!!!!! anybody ever hear of a turbo not cooled by oil but with grease fittings? AARRRRG!!!

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
cookoo well just got it today! it is fairly big and could possibly work the one thing though I have noticed is that it has instead of a oil line input a plate that says replace grease cartridge every 250 hours of use!!!!!! anybody ever hear of a turbo not cooled by oil but with grease fittings? AARRRRG!!!

Might be best used as a conversational piece LOL I'd hate to spend all the time to install it if I wasn't sure of the PSI that it's capable of producing. On IDI's it seems like there is a fine line between too much boost and too much lag....

ull7

Ford f250 Greaser
Reaction score
well 28 bucks isnt to much of a loss but dang I want to try it out!-Flame Thr put some zirc fittings on and fill it up every 250 hours? how could grease handle the temp?wouldnt be that bad just to time it and fill er up !!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger