Turbo/SVO

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
Well I thought I would share our story. A buddy and I went an looked at a 86 F250 2wd diesel for $600. Turns out to have a Banks Sidewinder turbo on it (doesn't look old at all) and has a complete set up for running SVO. We put batteries in it and a little go juice. Long story short, we drove it home. Worked on both diesel and veggie. We split the cost. I'm getting the turbo for my truck (89 F350 Crewcab 4x4 Longbox, 118,000 original miles) plus the engine. My buddy is getting all of the veggie stuff for his truck. I will try to post some pic's sometime soon. Just thought we would share our find.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
LOL Was the the truck off of craigslist? If it was, I was thinking about looking at it LOL, at least one of us OB'ers got it ;Sweet.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
holy crap, I would die to find a deal like that. Both things i want and at a price thats reasonable. :hail

GOOD FIND GUYS :thumbsup:

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
holy crap, I would die to find a deal like that. Both things i want and at a price thats reasonable. :hail
REASONABLE?!? More like a STEAL! Did you guys wear your masks when you went to get it? LOL!

Sure wish I could luck into a deal like that....

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, even an old Banks kit like that usually goes for around 800-1200 on ebay, a complete SVO system for around $2000 unless you build your own.

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
Now you need to tell the story of how we/U got that 89 CC 1ton 4x you are driving. We about stole that one too.:D

On the drive home with the SVO truck yesterday I managed to see 9 psi of boost. Is a good running truck but for the front main seal leak ;Sweet

The black soot ball that came rolling out of the tail pipe when it fired might still be lingering down there. WOW never seen anything like that before :rotflmao

So do I need to tell the CC story or what?:backoff

Calvin

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
If the pic's make it through. Here is the truck in all its glory.

Calvin, you can tell the story.

Attachments

• turbotruck1.jpg
    turbotruck1.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 12
  • turbotruck2.jpg
    turbotruck2.jpg
    658.4 KB · Views: 10
  • turbotruck3.jpg
    turbotruck3.jpg
    609 KB · Views: 12
  • turbotruck4.jpg
    turbotruck4.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 7
  • turbotruck5.jpg
    turbotruck5.jpg
    602.5 KB · Views: 15

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very nice find... Looks pretty good. is that a fuel water separator in there, if neither of you are are thinking of using it, id be interested.

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
That is the heated filter for running the VO. I deffinatly have a use for that :backoff sorry :D

So since this in about Ottoparts and his/our new parts truck I guess I can put the story about the CC in his Avitar here too. I might miss parts but hopefully him and DeanstuD can fill in the blanks.

It took me and Dean a little while to convince Chris (Ottoparts) that he wanted a diesel over a 460 DUH right? Well it took us even longer to convince him that he wanted an IDI and not a PSD. This was for the reason that Chris likes to work on his own stuff. What can get easier than an IDI?

I get a call a few weeks ago that Chris had found a diesel that he wanted in Medford, OR. We are up in Hillsboro. GREAT an 89 F-350 CC 4x4 for 1800, but it was a non runner.

The story goes that it had been for sale for 3k and the guy had a buyer standing in the driveway handing over the cash while the truck was running parked on the street. Just as money was about to change hands the truck up and died. Needless to say the truck was not perchased that day.

So now it is listed for 1800. The guy was honest about what had happend, disclosed the body damage and said it had a melted wire under the hood. He had no idea how to fix it and had reached the end of his rope and just wanted it to go away. Dean and I had a good feeling that it was the GP relay wire and at the very least all it needed was power to the fuel solenoid to run. Chris had offered the guy 1500 and it was accepted. The next question was why were we not in a rig and on the way (it was Thursday if I remember).

Between my wife and Dean, Chris and I were talked out of just jumping in my truck, hooking up the dolly and heading out. It was 8pm or something and it was too far. Turns out our understanding of our own state was a little off. It was 300 miles door to door. You can almost wave at CA from there.

The plan evolved during the next day. We would not take my 73 F-250 at like 10mpg unloaded 300 miles just to hook up and get 4mpg for 300 more miles. Almost 4 bux a gallon made us deside to make this a true gamble. Lets take my 87 Toyota Van, hook the dolly to that and head down with his 3 kids at 18mpg with the plan of driving that truck home with the Van on the hook.

We got into Medford at about 6? met the guys wife and got to work on getting the truck running. Her husband was supposed to be home around 6:30.

Some amount of time later after calling Dean we find out that I am an idiot and have jumped the GP relay wire and not the fuel soleniod. Dam thing would not start. I was getting a little worried. So dean sets me strait and I make contact with the correct terminal. SMOKE! This is not good. ***? try it again and the same (I am not a fast learner). So another call to Dean to check in and make plans for the next step.

What came out of that call was that I would take off the top of the IP and have a look inside. the truck already did not run so what harm can I do. The owner of the truck was home *** he was ok with the idea. By this time it had to be about 8:30 or so. Once inside we saw that the solenoid was actuating but was shorted and smoking. Having NEVER seen inside one of these before I played with the parts to see what did what and how it seemed to work. I then took the solenoid out, pulled the plunger and the arm off it, bolted the empty solenoid back in and put the IP lid back on. The next issue was that I had heard about the dreaded runaway if I had gotten it wrong. The Ziploc bag was on standby if we had a race on our hands.

HAHA ITS A RUNNER! and it did not take off on us. Money exchanged (title issues, they had been looking for the title for the whole 4 hours we had been working on the truck. Chris should have an update on this). Dolly hooked to the truck, Van on the dolly, 2 empty fuel tanks according to the owner and the gauges, and we needed air in a tire. Off to find fuel, air and the I-5 bound for our 300 mile test drive with 3 very tired kids and towing my Van

Here is the real kicker... pulled up for fuel ready to drop some bank. 7 bux later it seems the owner had no clue and the guages lie. Both tanks full, we tried are best to get more in it. That is just over $120 in fuel and my van only took $40 for the trip down plus food for all of us but we eat cheap. So total expence for the trip if you figure the cost of filling that truck Chris made money. 120-40=80 and there is NO WAY we ate that much. There was still better than half a tank in the second tank when we got home if you figure when the first one went dry on the trip.

Now Chris needs to post pics of that truck so you can see just how nice it is. Tires, wheels, clean, even the body only has one bad fender. It is oddly quiet shotting down the road at 65 and it rides better than many 1-tons I have been in. I even got to drive it half way home. It was worth every moment it took to go get it. Also I let Chris pull the solenoid out of my truck since it is broke anyway (another story) and he fixed a steering gear issue the new truck had with the one from Deans heavy-half-ton truck.

That is about it. Sorry if it seems a little scattered and really sorry this is so long.

Calvin

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
Sounds correct to me. Between my truck and the turbo, my total investment in the diesel world is only alittle over $1800. Has much as I love my 460's, the diesel world has been kind to me. I should be around for awhile. I will get pic's of my truck up as soon as I can.