turbo intake manifold

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm told that to ensure the turbo drains oil through the intake manifold valley pan baffling, that added holes are needed.
When adding holes to the VP how are you all making them? How many, and are they necessary.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use an awl, center punch, ice pick or something along those lines to PUNCH the holes. A drill bit will make shavings of small steel that you can't get out, easily.

Punch as many holes as you'd like, you should be able to pour a quart of oil through it with no back up

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just do a test before punching any holes, because all the valley pan's that have been made in recent times are already configured for the turbo. Just take a clean bottle of motor oil, microwave it until it is good and warm, and pour it in the hole in the valley at a steady rate, approaching maximum. If it all goes in without running over, then you are good to go.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks again for this answer Mel. I too was about to post the same answer. When Banks installed my turbo back in 97 or 98 I know my vally pan was original and not the "turbo" upgraded type. What I do not know if if they punched the holes for the improved oil return. I do know I never had any oil backing up and leaking out into the valley pan. When I took that engine apart many years later I did not look for extra holes in the pan.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mel... but after thoroughly scrutinizing the valley pan with a flashlight i came to the conclusion that I could take tin snips to the bottom of the manifold to ensure that it would drain.