turbo experts??

Black dawg

Reaction score
I am looking at a complete turbo, 60-1 compressor, ptrim turbine, and several choices of a/r on the turbine housing.

how much effect does turbine a/r have? .70,.82,1.0

my current set up is h-trim compressor p trim turbine with .96 housing. I make 11psi through the intercooler

Im interested in earlier boost and wont be happy with less than 15psi through the intercooler. Will the .70 be too small?

Is there a better compressor option for me? The turbo I am looking at should very nearly bolt on.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Just my humble opinion, and I do not consider myself an expert on turbos. BUT if I were in your shoes I'd venture outside of the TO4B series turbo all together. The 60-1 wheel def is "better" than the stock wheel, however if you look at the maps of the To4B it's really not that impressive. I.e. look at the lack of air they move for our intended use.

Any T3 turbo will "bolt up" to your up-pipe and shouldn't be too hard to get the downpipe to work out. All that would be required is some minor plumbing work as it's not likely the intake snail and compressor horn will line up just right. An hour or two of work w/ some mandrel bent pipe and you'd probably be in biz, with a better turbo option for your truck.

I'd like to preface the above statements that I only bring up this idea as the original poster is suggesting he's looking at non-oem options for a turbo on his truck. If simply a direct bolt-on no frills application was desired I'd not bring up this suggestion.

Black dawg

Reaction score
we definitely want some frills. I have looked at the maps, and the difference isnt huge.

also the non wastegated turbos are t4 exhaust side.

wmoguy

Reaction score
we definitely want some frills. I have looked at the maps, and the difference isnt huge.

also the non wastegated turbos are t4 exhaust side.

sorry, guess I should've checked your sig first.

You can get an HX-35 w/ a T4 flange. Or better yet, get a Hx40/35 hybrid w/ T4 flange. You can also get a flange adapter to go from T4 to T3 or vice versa. Adding an adapter into the equation could possible make a fitment a little more challenging though.
Whats your budget on this?

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
sorry, guess I should've checked your sig first.

You can get an HX-35 w/ a T4 flange. Or better yet, get a Hx40/35 hybrid w/ T4 flange. You can also get a flange adapter to go from T4 to T3 or vice versa. Adding an adapter into the equation could possible make a fitment a little more challenging though.
Whats your budget on this?

The turbos that I am looking at are 800ish. The problem with an hx 35 is the wastegate actuator will end up on the under the turbo (where the na glowplug controllers are) and I am not sure if there is room.

and compressor outlet and engine intake are easy as I am intercooled.

wmoguy

Reaction score
The turbos that I am looking at are 800ish. The problem with an hx 35 is the wastegate actuator will end up on the under the turbo (where the na glowplug controllers are) and I am not sure if there is room.

and compressor outlet and engine intake are easy as I am intercooled.

A. I"d move the GP controller anyway.
B. You could always remove the WG and do an external WG or BOV

Black dawg

Reaction score
glow plug controller has been moved for a long time, just used that to describe where the wastegate actuator would end up. Looking at t4 hx35, what exhaust housings are available, what do I want?

wmoguy

Reaction score
glow plug controller has been moved for a long time, just used that to describe where the wastegate actuator would end up. Looking at t4 hx35, what exhaust housings are available, what do I want?

thats the nice thing about Holset turbos, the options are virtually endless. In the HX (not HY) a 12, 14, 16, 18, 21, 23 are readily available housings. I feel like the 14 or 16 housing would be a really nice application for your intended purpose (lower RPM boost building, but still not sacrifice top end) You should be able to pick up a HX35 for your budget and still have leftover $$ to take the wife out to dinner. :thumbsup: If you end up not liking the housing you bought, rip it off, pick up a new one for $50, and sell yours for $50 and good to go

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.70 is way to small for our engines, it would have way too much back pressure.

I am going to open up my ats sometime and make the exhaust side flow better.

If my back ever lets up for long enough.:mad::mad:

Black dawg

Reaction score
Well, after looking at it I am not sure that the hx35 compressor would fit in the spot I need it to fit.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I thought stock HX35's had T3 exhaust inlets?

HX40's flow well enough to look at. I would do a 35/40 hybrid...I think you would waste your time on a straight hX35 as the compressor would only flow as much (maybe a little less) than russ's 60-1 wheel.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Looking at maps I would suggest the following.

If you want to upgrade over stock turbos that come on the kits I would shoot for a minimum of 55lbs/minute at a pressure ratio around 2.3-2.4 (roughly 20psi). That would put a 6 fined hx35 and 60-1 in those specs. Really truly you will want more like 60-65 lbs/min which is HE351, and some HX40's in that range. GT series turbos between a gt35r and a GT40 fall into and above those ranges.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726