Upgraded turbochargers

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part rant, part brain storming session so bare with me:angel:

It seems I'm not the only one here that feels as though I hit a wall when it comes to getting enough boost to reach the full potential of these engines.

Banks, ATS, and Hypermax - junk! They just refuse to flow efficiently above 10 PSI because thats what all those companies determined is safe for this engine.-cuss

I am running a 60-1 compressor wheel on my 088 and while the butt dyno does confirm some better results, peak boost didn't really change by much. Fuel economy is acceptable but every time I start leaning on the throttle, the boost is always a good 2-3 PSI below ideal and it gets worse higher up in the throttle range no matter how much RPM I allow.

Twin turbos have been discussed before but so far no one has been able to build one and frankly, I don't think we should have to go through that kind of trouble to get into the high teens for efficient turbo boost.

Some guys have mentioned using a holset turbocharger off a cummins engine. Has anyone done this? Is there a garrett turbocharger combo that could compare?

Other then that, any and all ideas welcome on how to break into the 10-20 PSI range efficiently - that means without obscene amounts of smoke.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i havent seen anyone do a twin turbo kit thats runs each turbo off each bank. i would like to do that but right now i just dont have the time. i think that is the only way your going to get what you want.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
David, I have the turbo on the DT466 I'm going to use for my "special project" repower. I'm going to run twins on the DT, but I've been thinking about running the old DT charger on an IDI just to see what happens as it will not be on the DT when it is all said and done.

I know a guy in Frankfort, KY that is currently using a DT466 turbo on his 7.3 IDI. Dusty is his name, I can't remember his handle here, but I know he hasn't been on in a while.

I have no idea what the map looks like on that particular turbo, but the DT is only 300ml larger displacment than a 7.3 IDI and it should efficiently boost in the 15-20 psi range, but it would simply be a guess/try and see kind of deal.

Heck, what about the wastegated turbo's on the 2nd Gen 7.3 PSD's? Same displacment, but boosting in the 10-20 psi range.

Heath

Last edited:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess whats strange is no one has really tried to make a real higher performance turbo package for these engines. Flatlander's "damn truck" is the only one that comes to mind but he had to go with compound turbochargers to get that kind of boost.

Its definately time to start looking at something better than the off the shelf kits that are available for these engines because with studs and higher flow fuel systems, they are obsolete now.

I was really hoping to get an easy fix with a 60-1 upgrade compressor but in the end it really wasn't worth it on the turbo kit I have. Begining to think I would have to make something from scratch if I really wanted to see some real numbers.

Problem is I would also like more boost to start rolling even at lower RPMs in the sub 2000 range. I don't want much, do I? LOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I run a Banks wastegated sidewinder turbo. True, they set them for 10 lbs of boost but... I "adjusted my wastegate to open at 12 lbs and there is a big differance. Then I installed the second or third Moose pump....:eek: Holly chees & crackers... What a rush... My boost was not stopping nor slowing down as it past 14 lbs....:angel: I didn't have too much smoke but my pyro was keeping up with the boost. They both climbed equally fast and almost at the same rate. I needed to install an intercooler. I have two hypermax intercoolers so its a lazy issue for me... Any boost over around 12 lbs and the air temp is way up there probably around 300 degrees going into the motor. A water-**** injection will help out with the heat too. Don't be so qiuck to diss the big three turbos out there. Give Typ4 a call. He knows how to build up most any turbo but has his favorites...

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im putting an hx35 on my truck and ill let yalll no how it works out

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still not sure what route to take. As it is now, I don't really have time to make this kind of upgrade. I'd probably sooner upgrade the camshaft since I want to replace the lifters anyway.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Let's face it guys we drive IDI's. That means most of us have a hard enough time buying a turbo let alone a turbo with custom compressor and turbine wheels. What are us IDI folk good at? Scavaging parts off of other rigs and making them work on ours. I say we try to find turbos off of result available motors which would cut the cost down majorly. I like the 99-03 PSD turbo and DT466 turbo ideas the best. I would love a ball bearing turbo but I would not spend the money on one. My $.02

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
what do you think would happen if we could manage to get ahold of a turbo off of say.... a HT530 or MBE900 or MBE4000???

I *may* be able to get ahold of one through my father-in-law, I'll let you know what happens with that..... I have to find out which of the trucks was the one that got rolled at his work....

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Another series of turbo's that are popular are the S-300 and S-400's. I believe that CAT 3306 (I think thats what it is......? 7.6 liters and are natorious for giving up at the higher hp ratings), they come with S300 turbo's I think.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
One read through this thread and I have to ask...are you sure it is the turbo?

Dave Sponaugle on FTE has seen 20-25lbs of boost with his 0093 (IIRC) ATS turbo system and it seemed quite capable. On that same note, the Hypermax system has a pretty universal T3/T4 garret turbo...even the Banks with its Mitsubishi (older kits) turbo seems to be pretty common.

Just throwing in my two pennies...

Simmonscoating

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a stock ats turbo on my 94 i shortend the wastegate rod all the way in. I get 12 psi all day long and when i use the water/**** kit i boost much faster and see about 15 psi its a big differance. From what i hear not sure if this is true i will let other guys comment on this. But if you are making more than 12 psi without a intercooler or water/**** to cool the air charge it's not going to give much benefit due to the air is to hot to be affective.

I will say this when i pull a hill at 55mph with a heavy load around 14 psi and turn off the water/**** i drop to 10 and i notice the power loss. something to be said for cool air..

if looking for boost over 12psi start looking to cool.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online