Upgraded turbochargers

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
my exhaust run from the turbo outlet is a gentle 90 deg down and goes outside the frame so I don't squish the pipe. you haven't seen a down pipe get run over by a forklift until you seen a GM one.

This whole deal should be interesting, technically the Cherokee is a full size truck, but the engine compartment is tight, and the space between the transfer case and frame might be just over 2". I've always called the AMC V8 a mid block, bigger than an SBC, smaller than a big block, but it's a tight fit with all the accessories, big block size is doable, but takes a giant shoehorn!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If our turbos are a t3/t4, then why wont any other t3/t4 be a direct bolt in on our trucks? I see turbos on craigslist that are t3/t4s, and they look pretty similar to ours. I have found a bunch of larger t3/t4 turbos used for cheap online, and the owners claim 20-25 psi of boost. What is it that makes it to where on of these wont fit?
btw....
t3/t4 refers to the mounting flange on the hot side of the turbo.
here's a t3 gasket.

Attachments

• SL379797.JPG
    SL379797.JPG
    285.3 KB · Views: 35

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tow cat ill take that holset im putting one on my pickup i got already but id really like to do a compound setup on the jeep im building and the holset is a perfect big turbo then maybe i can trade a ricer guy my .088 stock ats for his t2 or t3 off his civic or waht ever
its all planned and ready waiting on a second turbo and the motor to get in the jeep which wil be soon

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the intake etc. is different the 88 ats sucks cause it mounts on its own pedistal but if you mounted the turbo on a custom ount then you would have no issues at all with a swap

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This whole deal should be interesting, technically the Cherokee is a full size truck, but the engine compartment is tight, and the space between the transfer case and frame might be just over 2". I've always called the AMC V8 a mid block, bigger than an SBC, smaller than a big block, but it's a tight fit with all the accessories, big block size is doable, but takes a giant shoehorn!
I've done the 70's Cherokee BBC conversion. It's no joke that it's a tight fit but the results is a very usable off-road vehicle;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tow cat ill take that holset im putting one on my pickup i got already but id really like to do a compound setup on the jeep im building and the holset is a perfect big turbo then maybe i can trade a ricer guy my .088 stock ats for his t2 or t3 off his civic or waht ever
its all planned and ready waiting on a second turbo and the motor to get in the jeep which wil be soon
got a resume or photothread of completed projects?
post a linky and I'd like to see.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Just for a note, the older Banks turbos had 1.00 a/r exhaust housing. My current Hypermax kit has a .85 a/r housing. In theory, the Hypermax would spool faster, but the Banks would be capable of more boost?

sootman73

Reaction score
Just for a note, the older Banks turbos had 1.00 a/r exhaust housing. My current Hypermax kit has a .85 a/r housing. In theory, the Hypermax would spool faster, but the Banks would be capable of more boost?

thats right. the higher the A/R ratio the slower it spools but the more you get on the top end. the lower and the quicker spool but gives the possibility of choking off the motor at high rpms.

i think it would but thats IIRC a turbo thats very similar to what we already have and were looking for something better.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat check the link in my sig has a lot of pics on the projects
the holset is still collecting parts and itll go on the pickup after the type4 cam cause we all know what a turbo does but whats a turbo do to a type4 cam??
ill be ordering the cam within the week

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that t4oe would spool like crazy but it might be small enough to restrict the motor

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just realized something here. I have some older T3 turbochargers lying around, almost 3 complete with one of them having some rebuild kit parts in it. Just went outside to check and the turbo shaft does match the size for my current setup. I even have one center section thats water cooled which can offer a modest performance gain. I need to measure the turbines and identify them to make sure they would work. Too small might allow good spooling but could cause overheating on the exahust side if its too restricted.......but then again........all of them are wastegated......

In theory the center sections I have lying around would even match the ATS turbo pedistal and all I have to change at that point is the inlet and downpipes. The plan is to use one of the T3s with the 60-1 housing and wheel that I installed more recently in the truck.

Any thoughts? The turbochargers are suposedly for some chrysler 80s application (guessing a 2.3 ish size range). Keep in mind my engine will never pass even 3000 RPM and rarely sees 2500.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online