Truck stop fueling rules

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
thats my pet peeve. At a gas station with 15 gas only pumps and 2 shared gas/diesel pumps, why do people only use the shared pumps? I just pull up within a foot of their car and just idle away, letting them know in a not so subtle way that they are inconveniencing me

This ****** me off to no end. The only truck stop within 10 miles of my work has absolute ***** hired as attendants, I wrote a rant a few weeks ago about them. So I've returned to the stations, which share diesel pumps with gas pumps. 9 times out of 10 there will only be 3 vehicles in the entire station, one little car at a gas only pump and 2 obnoxious gas burning trucks lifted 10ft in the air with balls hanging from the bumper mounted hitch. So I sit and wait, 10, 15, 20, one time 40 minutes for one of these jerks to move their truck. I even went to the counter and asked for them to page the people parked at the diesel pump to move their vehicles. They just ignored the page. I dont understand people.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember: pullup to the pump, guy pumps the fuel, checks the oil, checks the radiator, checks air in tires, washes the windshield, takes the money and gives you the change with a smile.

When I was born, my father owned a full-service station --- HomeTown Oil --- later SOMERSET OIL.

He finally shut it down in the mid-80s.

I bet most of these kids around here have never heard a bell-cord, nor even know what one is. :eek:

We had a lot of "characters" in our employ; bootleggers, convicted murderers, all sorts of preachers, a fire-chief (I will never make that mistake again) LOL , and womanizers by the dozen.

We had this one little short-coupled squatty Viet-nam veteran who could sense a woman pulling in for gas long before she herself even knew she was going to; he would dart into the restroom, look in the mirror, whip out his comb, swipe it through his hair, and be at the pumps before her wheels quit rolling.

I never knew him to ever wait on a male customer unless he was holding the fort by himself.

I sure miss the genuine full-service stations.

We still have TWO left in our backward little county; one in each of the two towns; they have the highest prices, yet get the most business.

Alas, all the rest have been knocked down. :rolleyes:

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
...I bet most of these kids around here have never heard a bell-cord, nor even know what one is. :eek:...

Midnight,

You mean not everyone has heard the ding ding as you pull into a station. I remember when "Mini-Service" was the rage at one local Shell. All they did was pump gas, and it was a couple cents cheaper.

The station had 2 islands, you pulled in perpendicular to the building, over time the two islands went (Closest to the building listed first)

Full Serv, Full Serv
Full Serv, Mini Serv
Mini Serv, Self Serv
Station Closed.....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
My absolute favourite truck stop of all time used to be in Oregon on Hwy US 395. I don't know if the place is still there, but used to be you'd pull up to the pumps and a small army of ******** clad all female fuel jockys would descend on your truck , one on each fuel tank and they had pumps to fill the ****** at the same time, one on each window, one would pop the hood and check the fluids, another to check the tires. They were not only hot, , but they did a bang up job. The place only had a couple of rows of pumps but those gals would knock out the trucks fast and sure left the customers feeling a bit more excited than when they crawled in LOL

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I bet most of these kids around here have never heard a bell-cord, nor even know what one is. :eek:

It's a ding hose!! Nah, I've never heard one in real life, just on tv. Glad to know it's called a bell-cord though. I always called it a ding hoseLOL:dunno

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a ding hose!! Nah, I've never heard one in real life, just on tv. Glad to know it's called a bell-cord though. I always called it a ding hoseLOL:dunno
They're by no means common, but I see them around from time to time. There's a gas station just down the street from my mom's house up in Eureka that has one :D

sassyrel

Reaction score
Biggest irritation against smaller vehicles is leaving your vehicle sitting at the pump while you go in to pay/***/make a phone call, buy somehing or otherwise hold up someone that is in a hurry.

In my opinion motor homes and tour busses were the worst offenders.

yup--and the motor homes are some of the worst drivers---

sassyrel

Reaction score
:eek: That is sad news to hear. :eek:

I guess next will be the disappearance of the decent sit-down restaurants that were a trade-mark of the Flying Hook.

Pilot bought out almost every decent truck-stop up and down I-65 in Ky and Indiana; and, the first thing they did was to tear out the good restaurants and replace them with McDonalds, Subway, and such.

I used to look forward to stopping at the truck-stops and could always expect a good enjoyable meal with a genuine waitresse; now they take your money and hand you a sack; :puke: you get to eat on a paper with a plastic fork, wait on yourself, and clean your own table when you are done. :puke:

already happened in the one i go to--restuarant gone--and nothing back in its place--:mad::mad::mad:

sassyrel

Reaction score
This ****** me off to no end. The only truck stop within 10 miles of my work has absolute ***** hired as attendants, I wrote a rant a few weeks ago about them. So I've returned to the stations, which share diesel pumps with gas pumps. 9 times out of 10 there will only be 3 vehicles in the entire station, one little car at a gas only pump and 2 obnoxious gas burning trucks lifted 10ft in the air with balls hanging from the bumper mounted hitch. So I sit and wait, 10, 15, 20, one time 40 minutes for one of these jerks to move their truck. I even went to the counter and asked for them to page the people parked at the diesel pump to move their vehicles. They just ignored the page. I dont understand people.

and that would take one time--for someone to get a ball batting experience--those people,,need a serious ALTITUDE readjustment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My absolute favourite truck stop of all time used to be in Oregon on Hwy US 395. I don't know if the place is still there, but used to be you'd pull up to the pumps and a small army of ******** clad all female fuel jockys would descend on your truck , one on each fuel tank and they had pumps to fill the ****** at the same time, one on each window, one would pop the hood and check the fluids, another to check the tires. They were not only hot, , but they did a bang up job. The place only had a couple of rows of pumps but those gals would knock out the trucks fast and sure left the customers feeling a bit more excited than when they crawled in LOL

Oh heck yes, I could see why you'd like that station, I'd make it a point to refuel there every chance I get too! :sly

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've got a truck stop just up the road from here...I believe it's actually a Citgo station, it has gas pumps, small diesel pumps, big truck diesel pumps, scales and an actual area for trucks to stop for the night.

It's an interesting place, because the front is just like your average gas station (with junk food, hot dogs, coffee etc) but in the back they have a real restaurant.

Unfortunately diesel there is always 10 cents more than everywhere else...and their small truck pumps are the absolute SLOWEST I have ever used, it literally took me 15 minutes to fill my truck there once.

I don't figure truckers like it much around here...there are almost no truck stops around this area, just rest areas.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I guess liability reasons, more than anything else, has caused their near disappearance; but, it used to be very common to pull up to the pumps and have ********-clad girls with soap-buckets and long-handled brushes willing to give the truck a quick wash while it was fueling; these gals were not usually employees and worked strictly for tips.

I have seen :love: bikini babes :love: set up with mobile polishing equipment --- not at the pumps, but over to the side, out of the way --- that would polish anything chrome or aluminum, such as wheels, tanks, head-racks, whatever, for a set price per piece polished.

Although working while nearly :eek: naked, these girls knew their business and could make things shine that didn't have shine left in them.

Many is the time some older used-to-be-a-hottie has shined my boots while I sat in a throne fit for a king.

These old gals usually charged a buck, but more often were given two or even more; they were easily making more money that most other working women, and all cash, and cash don't talk.

:confused: Alas, since the big chain-gangs have taken over, these have disappeared from the scene.

The penny-pinchers are so afraid of liability when the truth is that these hard-working girls were better advertisement than any big sign out on the highway. :)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I guess liability reasons, more than anything else, has caused their near disappearance; but, it used to be very common to pull up to the pumps and have ********-clad girls with soap-buckets and long-handled brushes willing to give the truck a quick wash while it was fueling; these gals were not usually employees and worked strictly for tips.

I have seen :love: bikini babes :love: set up with mobile polishing equipment --- not at the pumps, but over to the side, out of the way --- that would polish anything chrome or aluminum, such as wheels, tanks, head-racks, whatever, for a set price per piece polished.

Although working while nearly :eek: naked, these girls knew their business and could make things shine that didn't have shine left in them.

Many is the time some older used-to-be-a-hottie has shined my boots while I sat in a throne fit for a king.

These old gals usually charged a buck, but more often were given two or even more; they were easily making more money that most other working women, and all cash, and cash don't talk.

:confused: Alas, since the big chain-gangs have taken over, these have disappeared from the scene.

The penny-pinchers are so afraid of liability when the truth is that these hard-working girls were better advertisement than any big sign out on the highway. :)