Trade trucks?

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, thanks to you folks here, I've got my truck to be a reliable daily driver (except that I don't go anywhere, lol).
I love the simplicity and that I can maintain it myself. That was my main reason for buying it.
But I've also come to the realization that it's more truck than I need. I don't need the extended cab since my dog won't ride in it anyway (he prefers the wife's BMW), I don't need 3/4 ton because my heaviest load is 2 dirtbikes + gear, and the only real towing I do is my boat twice a year.
I would be interested in a trade for a 1/2 ton, 8' bed, gasser, 1995 or older.
Regular cab or ext. cab or 4-door. Cab doesn't matter. Auto. or std. is fine. Any brand. The less electronics the better.

I just thought I'd throw this on here now since you all are such great folks and clearly appreciate the design and function of the IDI.
I'm in no hurry to part with mine. It's just my thinking at the moment. And I probably won't make any other efforts to do so until spring.
Let me know if any interest. Or you can try to talk me out of parting with it. lol

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Here's my argument for trying to talk you out of it... You already have it, and it's reliable now. Unless you trade straight over, you'll end up with a new car payment. Plus you're inheriting any issues any new to you vehicle will have.

My truck sits 9 months out of the year, sitting for these Idi's won't hurt them. Sitting for a gasser is ******* them. If they're carburated, the bowls get dirty. If it's EFI the injectors can get fouled out by stale fuel.

I don't know if you have emissions there, but every gasser is going to have emissions on them. Risk getting your cat stolen? Rotted vacuum lines? Nah ill stick with my diesel.

Last edited:

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I don't need the extended cab since my dog won't ride in it"

Get a real dog, someone who really loves you (cause a 'real' dog is a someone).

My suggestion, a truck like yours is a status symbol, your reveal to a quality of life and care that is not represented in a chitty F150 with a big screen for a dash. I am proud of my manual door locks and less-rust-than-anything-on-the-road-since-2018 look. Don't give up on your pride and joy, or your dog!

Oh! Happy New Year... and edit it: since 2019!

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good stuff, guys. Thanks.
The last 3 dogs we had were "mine". The daughter and wife raised this one. Can't change that.
I forgot to add that my wife doesn't like to ride in it either. And I don't drive my (1985) Benz in the winter. So if we go anywhere together, that doesn't involve hauling anything, she has to drive. I feel bad about that imposition on her and I didn't forsee that when I got this truck.
Again, I don't absolutely need to change it. It's just my thinking at the moment so I thought I'd throw it on here. No biggie.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well you also know the old saying, happy wife, happy life. While there are amenities that could be done to make riding in these more comfortable, like changing seats out, it's just more work no one wants to do.
Maybe you should get a psd excursion, I saw one posted for sale here with an asking price that's too high lol

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's got the Lariat captain's chairs with arm rests so I don't think changing seats will help.
She's not the main reason.
It's a great truck. And if a good trade doesn't come up I'll probably just drive it until I'm dead. I'm just not in love with it like I had hoped.
PSD Excursion meets none of my criteria. But the wife would probably not mind that ride.
A buddy of mine in our gun club has one and will never part with it. I think he's building a spare engine for when he needs it.

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have a 1991 F-150 single cab 2wd with a 5.0 and m5OD manual trans. I bought it a year ago planning to swap the rust-free bed and power doors onto my IDI, but I haven’t got around to it yet. If you lived closer I’d offer it plus some cash for your IDI, but you can probably find a better truck closer to you. Definitely post your truck in marketplace, or at least send us the FB marketplace ad.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Ain't no diesel like the one I got"
The main reason in my opinion to keep your IDI is you'll probably get the same MPG either way, maybe even better with the diesel - with a lot more upside

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brian, I don’t want to see you go but if I recall were you the one that was trying to like your truck? Your best bet is to sell your truck, buy the gasser you want, and you might even have cash left over. Hopefully you stick around with your new truck. We know more than diesels here.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im gonna get some hate for this, but its ok, im used to it.
also i enjoy gut punching the purists :D
i love these trucks, so much that ill chop em up 5 ways from sideways.
remember...
theres many ways to skin a cat, but only 1 way to BBQ them!
keep it and make it personal

Attachments

• 106112013_309081323600425_6021532226687173718_n.jpg
    106112013_309081323600425_6021532226687173718_n.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 124969212_364437284842682_8341419717285907109_n.jpg
    124969212_364437284842682_8341419717285907109_n.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 20

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the camp of keeping the bird in hand. And unless you get a 300-6 any other Ford engine will get the same or worse MPG than the IDI. But you said you never drive it so maybe that's not relevant.

If you're looking for ways to make the ride better, everyone says the D60 swap is the cat's pajamas for turning radius and comfort. Along with that thought, I've moved to bigger wheels and if you run them at a PSI that allows the best tire wear, you'll have a MUCH softer ride than with the stock tires. I'm really surprised how much better the ride is with these. I have 285/75-16's and it took a while to dial in the PSI's but the front takes only 30psi front and 15psi rear unloaded. And that's not a joke-- I've run those pressures for over a year. Eats bumps like crazy, potholes are just for laughs. Pretty cool how it takes the shock out of bumps. I actually run 20psi rear so I can put the occasional pallet of wood pellets into the bed this time of year but still get decent tire wear. Too much squish at 15psi for me, lol. Even though I only drive 3 miles with the pallet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online