Truck making noises, engine won't run

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, I am sorry to say it, but I think the truck may need an IP, lift pump and COMPLETE set of injectors.......what the f*** else is new?!

She is acting like it has air in the return lines, but all caps are leak free and dry as a bone. With the amount of air it is getting in such a short time span, you would DEFINITLY notice a fuel leak.

Under the truck is dry, the top of the engine is dry and as much of th elines I can see are dry. If I shut it down for 60 seconds, then flash her back up....I gotta hold her at WOT to keep it running. If not it will just die....restart, and it will just die....

My theory...the lift pump went to hell, filling my crank case full of diesel (as my dipstick says anyways) and that caused my IP to become starved for fuel.....leading to my wallet being EMPTY, and me being PISSED as HELL!!!!

I am thinking about selling both the trucks and getting something else....I know you are all saying you're mad, it'll pass....but parts are becoming more and more scarce and I just don't have time to screw with them anymore.

Anything stupid I can check before I get mad and do something irrational?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I am going to hold off on the dipstick theory as of right now, the truck isn't sitting perfectly level and I could be wrong....it is only up a couple MM's over the full mark, and I only put 300 MILES on this oil change....so it wouldn't have a chance to suck much up....it usually don't anyways.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
If the lift pump failed and was dumping fuel in the oil, shouldn't you be able to smell it on the stick?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I would think so, but with my alergies acting up from a weekend of bailing hay....I can't smell anything....the oil does look kinda thin though.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Maybe get someone else to check it and see.
If it's not the lift pump maybe you have a restriction somewhere?
Have you checked your filter?
I just put a new filter on mine after getting some bad fuel. It wasn't as bad as yours but it wouldn't take off from a stop with out lots of pedal and it would die in between shifts. This all happened suddenly with no warning with in a couple hours of filling up.
Bought the new filter and a bottle of howes and let it sit a whiles after starting it with the howes. Runs normal now.

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same thing going on but I do not know what it actually is yet. I don't know if your situation is getting you stuck or anything, but mine shows its face after it has sat. Doesn't take long after shutdown to see fuel get siphoned out.

Now recently I installed the carrier electric fuel pump and its nice to have, but now after I turn the truck off, the same thing is happening. I see fuel in the clear return lines but the fuel will drain away from the lines from filter to ip and return lines.

I yanked the stock seperator and as of right now I also can't find leaks hot nor cold.

New filter didn't change a thing.

At this point I just assumed it had something to do outside of the engine bay, back towards the tanks and fuel selector switch but it will be weeks before I can yank the bed off to redo all that stuff.

The only other thing I have not totally ruled out is my filter head. Somebody put a head on for 7.3 system but there is no fittings or purge valve on it. Just an elbow to the ip with a barb to the return lines.

I use the one piece filter with drain built in. And there is a wire up top that plugs into it. If that is sealed like I have read, I wonder if it could be sucking enough air without hearing it or seeing leaks there.

The electric pump obviously helps with this and cold starts but still if there is air in there, it still isn't really nice on the system to force it through but hopefully this pump holds up miles wise, I can see how it would be nice to have down the line and blocking off the lift pump.