Truck for sale. Was "need a mechanic who can work free in TN"

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I just went back through and reread everything so far. From the sounds of it your not getting fuel. I know you say the fuel problems are solved but in this case the lack of smoke out the tailpipe says otherwise. use a remote starter to crank it, while cranking push in the air bleeder on the fuel filter housing. It should spray fuel out onto the engine. If not then your lift pump is shot or your pickup is plugged.

How much fuel is in the tank? Not what the gauge says how much have YOU put in?

punk

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Alright, Im gonna step in before kenneth goes crazy or towcat ends up in the hospital.

I will restate what kenneth said. WE ARE TRYING TO HELP YOU. WE ARE ALSO TRYING TO KEEP YOU FROM ROYALLY F*#KING UP YOUR ENGINE. Towcat, Agnem, and Type4 know what they are doing. Listen to them. I also know what I am doing and have a considerable amount of time and money invested into the tools to do exactly what you are attempting.

Do you have a remote starter? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Do you have a small dental mirror? Do you have an open ended 9/16's wrench? Do you have an open ended 5/8ths wrench? If you have all of these then call my cell phone 407-403-4221. I will help you but you have to listen and if you start talking back or getting mouthy I will hang up and let you ruin the truck.

Kenneths truck was in a state when we went to look at it, I drove to bend to meet him to go see it. We got it to fire and run and now he drives it every day. I dont know everything, but I learn VERY QUICKLY and when a wiser person than myself speaks, I listen and then ask further questions to solidify the pearls of wisdom they have so graciously given.

Most on here wont yell and scream and *****. I will. Im a hand full and a hard ass. I offer you my help as best I can over the phone. take it or leave it.

PUNK

If I hadn't already met you and aquired your friendship, this post would make me scared to meet you... :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao I remember all the headaches of trying to get mine running. My truck is my daily driver. When I have a choice between my truck or the Explorer, I'll take the truck everytime.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to Punk:

I have no idea how much fuel is in there the gauge sais 1/2 tank..... but I'm not sure, I know I;m getting fuel but because when I opened in injector It's squirting fuel, no super high pressure but it's squirting fuel maybe theres not enough fuel getting into the actual cylinder? I am going to take my fuel filter off and manually fill it with fuel

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Fordman,
I've just read all this thread. Are you sure you are clear on your terminology? When you say you "opened in injector", what did you do? Are you talking about loosening, or removing the nut on top of an injector? If you loosen that nut ( 5/8" IIRC) on several injectors, and crank the engine you should see some fresh fuel dribble out. It won't show a lot of pressure because the opening is so large.
I would suggest leaving the belts and everything else alone, and checking the IP timing using the timing marks as shown earlier in this thread. Remember that the engine turns twice for each turn of the IP, so make sure you check the timing while on the compression stroke. There may be an easier way to check it, but remove the valve cover and make sure both valves on #1 cylinder are closed when the timing mark on the crank pulley is on the mark on the plate. ( Make sure you know which is #1--not all engines are numbered the same way--assume nothing)

Be vary leary of what a former owner told you about the engine. I was asked to help a guy "rebuild" an engine for a sports car he had some years ago. His idea was to pick through a box of used parts, and assemble the engine from these mis-matched parts. He even reused all the gaskets, and rings, and bearings. He called that a rebuild engine. I called it "junk".
At this point, I would assume nothing and prove out everything before you tear anything apart. Make sure you have fuel, Make sure there is not air in the lines. Make sure the IP is correctly timed. Make sure the glow plugs are functioning. Make sure the starter is turning the engine fast enough to start.
Be patient--haste really does make waste.
Read
Listen
then do.

You are in the presence of friends, and some experts--most likely more knowledge here than from anyone in your neighborhood.

Remember the hypocratic oath---First do no harm.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
No smoke = no fuel. If You can check that lift pump for fuel pressure or get a temporary electric pump feeding from a jug of fresh diesel and put the return there as well. This is how You make sure there IS fuel going to the IP then if it doesn't start You know for sure that is not the problem. I spent lots of hours blaming the IP when all the time was a electric pump pulling lots of fuel and AIR from the tank. As said above, don't tear the hole thing apart until You check the obvious first, so see if You really have fuel.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that if he does indeed have fuel at the injectors, that he has no heat to burn it. With all the cranking this ladd has surely done, it is likely that the starter is toast. This is why I think he may have several problems at this point, and that it is beyond him, and possibly beyond us. :dunno I think it is time to face facts, and just tarp the thing until you have some money, because nothing in life is free except death, and even that will cost somebody something even if its not you.

This problem sounds similar to what I ran into with Gary's truck at the rally. We had fuel at the injectors, but no smoke. We ended up advancing the timing WAY BEYOND where it needed to be, and it started. BUT we never did figure out if it was the timing, or just letting it sit overnight and it being cold. Gary did decide later that his cranking was indeed slow.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is not IDI related but the lesson to be learned here is the same.

I just spent a year, yes a whole year, tracking down a problem with my tractor. About every 2-3 hours of operation it would blow the seal at the base of the steering column and shoot hot fluid like a shower out the steering tube. I had it to the dealer twice as I just couldn't find the time to do it myself with work being so busy. Yet the problem persisted.

They said it was the power steering pump, then they said it was the seal mounting area on the column. In the end they gave up and sent it back to me with an apology and confusion about why it was acting that way.

I took it apart myself this last time, as far as removing the guts of the steering gear and orbital valve. I found nothing worn or unusual. In the end when I went to flush the system I removed the return line from the pump and and when I cranked it over fluid shot out of the pump head not the return hose. The pump inlet and outlet hoses were reversed. In the end the only thing everyone overlooked (myself, the dealer, and most likely the PO) was the simple fact that the high pressure fluid was hitting the low pressure side of the system causing the seal, which isn't designed for 1000 psi, to blow out. The pressure and return line look identical and connect to the pump in the same manner only inches apart. Since the system was working (after switching the lines I had to reverse the hoses on the cylinders so they were again working in conjunction with the mechanical linkage) the hose routing was overlooked.

The moral of this story is that everything may point to a particular problem but until you've locked down the simple stuff and eliminated them as problems you are just wasting time and money. Even the factory trained mechanics missed this issue. Twice.

So I have to agree that as far as troubleshooting this problem goes you need to start at square 1 again and let us help you through making sure the problem doesn't lie in the fuel delivery system prior to the IP.

I, for one, would really like to see you get this fixed as I know the sense of satisfaction that comes from figuring it out and getting it right.

Good luck and stop being so argumentative. It's obvious you are frustrated but from my end it's like you are standing on the edge of a building and all these guys are begging you not to jump. Take the advice they are giving you.

Last edited:

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
This problem sounds similar to what I ran into with Gary's truck at the rally. We had fuel at the injectors, but no smoke. We ended up advancing the timing WAY BEYOND where it needed to be, and it started. BUT we never did figure out if it was the timing, or just letting it sit overnight and it being cold. Gary did decide later that his cranking was indeed slow.

I was remembering Gary's slow starter, too.
I don't think I have ever seen one as HOT as that one.
Gary's situation was instructive, although his truck ran--or at least it got him to the rally. There were multiple issues, but only a careful, step-by-step appraoch solved tham. Just replacing stuff would never have resolved his issues.

Fordman---enjoy the rain, or send it up the east coast. Its dry here in MD. If its raining, you have no excuse not to read every article in the tech section.

ENJOY!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... My starter did really slow down after all the start attempts at the rally but... I felt it was turning slower than normal before I left for the rally. Then while i knew I had a pump heat soak problem too didn't help onthe outwad trip either. smelling a starter and seeing smoke tell all things are failing and you may get just one more crank out of the starter... I know... When I got home I tried to start it after a few das of sitting. It sounded like dead batteries and cranked very slow. I removed the starter and replaced it. That first start was so quick I couldn't count the rpm. Probably 1/2 turn of the crank. Batteries are fine and not dead either. It was the starter all along and I was living on borrowed time. I really don't think I could have started the motor another time it was that bad. My favorite mom and pop rebuild shop has the starter and they will call me when they take it apart so I can see first hand what a burned up starter looks like. Maybe I can post pics too....:sly

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was remembering Gary's slow starter, too.
I don't think I have ever seen one as HOT as that one.
Gary's situation was instructive, although his truck ran--or at least it got him to the rally. There were multiple issues, but only a careful, step-by-step appraoch solved tham. Just replacing stuff would never have resolved his issues.

Fordman---enjoy the rain, or send it up the east coast. Its dry here in MD. If its raining, you have no excuse not to read every article in the tech section.

ENJOY!

Wrong Gary in this case Michael, but remarkable in coincidence. LOL

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
so fordman. how is your truck cranking? How are your batteries? have you checked the fuel at the filter housing while cranking, assuming it is cranking 600 + rpms (do you have a tach?).

I know its running and such but if your not gonna work on it due to rain then sell it. Your young enough to not have health issues stopping you from getting soaked. Yes its gonna suck, but the more answers I get the better I can help you.

punk

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so today (after it got done raining) I went outside cycled the GP's for 4-6 second intervals about 2 or 3 times, cranked it, she wasn't puffing smoke but there was some smoke coming out and it did smell like burning diesel, so there is fuel getting to it, I just think the IP is out of time so bad, it's won't inject the fuel at the right time... I was gonna keep doing it until the battery cable that goes down to the starter broke, basically what happened was the last time I cranked it, the cable connector (to the starter) got so hot it (cherry red hot!!) it broke off, so I tried to compensate for what happened with 2 washers and a new nut went under there and fixed it (temporarily), it worked for a little bit but today was it's last leg... and then I just pulled the entire battery connector assembly out, so I am going to take it to get a new end piece to put on, nothing is wrong with the cable it's just that end piece got so hot it broke in 2... but when I did get it to crank it was smokin, I guess it was the cetane booster I put in the fuel, maybe it was on the virge of starting and then that starter cable went KA PUT... so tomorrow I am taking that to my friend house to fix he may even have a harness from his 83 F250....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online