Truck for sale. Was "need a mechanic who can work free in TN"

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
You need to slow down just a bit. When I talked to you last night, I offered this out as a POSSIBLE cause. Look at the top of the IP cover. Are the scribes on the cover and the pump lined up? Check that BEFORE you start pulling things apart.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanna get some RTV to reseal that cover, that has the oil tube on it, the last person who took it off just globbed the stuff on it, i would take pictures but mom took my camera...

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I was hoping someone with a cleaner engine would post pics, but I guess not. LOL I know my engine is dirty, but it runs so I leave it alone. Here are some pics of the IP timing marks. Keep in mind, the bolts in the pics of the oil fill tube only need to be removed if replacing the pump or checking the timing of the IP gear. DO NOT remove the IP housing and/or gear inside (attached to the IP) unless you are fully aware of what you are doing or willing to accept that you could really mess the timing up. The timing marks on the IP are "factory" timing marks and used as a "baseline" adjustment until you can time it with a meter. If the gear inside is off, these marks won't do you much good. There are three 9/16" nuts that hold that IP from turning side to side. You will have to loosen these to change the IP timing. Again, DO NOT attempt this unless you feel you are ready for this and willing to accept the outcome of trying.

Attachments

• DSC01990 - Edited.jpg
    DSC01990 - Edited.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC01991 - Edited.jpg
    DSC01991 - Edited.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC01992 - Edited.jpg
    DSC01992 - Edited.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC01994 - Edited.jpg
    DSC01994 - Edited.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 24

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to have to get some degreaser to actually see the marks, mine is all oilly and what not... so do I just turn the housing to make sure the lines are matching?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to have to get some degreaser to actually see the marks, mine is all oilly and what not... so do I just turn the housing to make sure the lines are matching?
do yourself a favor.
before you ruin the motor beyond repair, sell the truck or get a loan and tow it to a shop who can get it running for you.
you may "know it all" but you are committing mistakes that are potentially fatal to the motor.
DO NOT USE DEGREASER ON THE MOTOR. ESPECIALLY ANYWHERE NEAR THE INJECTION PUMP.
the intake valley where the pump is at, has a CDR system where the grommet that seals the intake valley pan is often dried and cracked. What does this mean to you? If you put water into that area, the water will drain into the crankcase. Yes, you are reading that right. You will fill up the your crankcase with water.
IF YOU STILL INSIST ON ATTEMPTING TO FIX THIS TRUCK.....
STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING. PUT DOWN ANY/ALL TOOLS.....
GO TO THE TECH ARTICLES IN THE IDI SECTION AND START READING.
this will take a few days to read. do not come back until you are done reading.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK LET ME EXPLAIN SOMETHING REAL CLEAR NOW!!! STOP YELLING AT ME!!! It's great your leaving comments and what not BUT STOP YELLING!!!!!!!!!!

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
do yourself a favor.
before you ruin the motor beyond repair, sell the truck or get a loan and tow it to a shop who can get it running for you.
you may "know it all" but you are committing mistakes that are potentially fatal to the motor.
DO NOT USE DEGREASER ON THE MOTOR. ESPECIALLY ANYWHERE NEAR THE INJECTION PUMP.
the intake valley where the pump is at, has a CDR system where the grommet that seals the intake valley pan is often dried and cracked. What does this mean to you? If you put water into that area, the water will drain into the crankcase. Yes, you are reading that right. You will fill up the your crankcase with water.
IF YOU STILL INSIST ON ATTEMPTING TO FIX THIS TRUCK.....
STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING. PUT DOWN ANY/ALL TOOLS.....
GO TO THE TECH ARTICLES IN THE IDI SECTION AND START READING.
this will take a few days to read. do not come back until you are done reading.

x2

i;m talking where those damn lines are at or i can dry rag and wipe as much grime off as possible

Wiping the grime and oil away is better than degreaser and water.

OK LET ME EXPLAIN SOMETHING REAL CLEAR NOW!!! STOP YELLING AT ME!!! It's great your leaving comments and what not BUT STOP YELLING!!!!!!!!!!

First off, I have been in your shoes and nobody is yelling at you. We are trying to explain that what you are wanting to do is no easy task. SEVERE damage can result from inexperience or lack of knowledge on these engines. SLOW DOWN and "take in" the information in front of you before you jump to the next question. Take a break from the wrench turning before you drive yourself nuts (as well as others). Spend a day or two just reading and researching. When you get so focused on a task, you overlook the small things that can be the real issue. I did it trying to get my CC running. Spent days trying this and that, retimed the IP gear twice, and was ready to give up when I found the melted wire causing the problem (Towcat, punkmechanic, and typ4 probabally started crying everytime their phone rang and my number was on the caller ID... :rotflmao).

I'll give you the advice given to me ... Take some time and read the Tech Articles. That is why there are here. They contain a lot of information and can save a lot of time by answering your questions before you even ask them.

Not many read the articles before they start posting. I'm not saying that you aren't capable of performing the task of timing an engine, but you need to spend some time researching the task before diving head first into it. With nobody there to see what you are doing and what is going on with the engine, it makes it hard to explain how to put it back together once you tear into it. Read, learn, and most importantly UNDERSTAND what you are about it do or doing. My current truck is my 4th IDI, and I'm still learning something new almost everytime I start reading the threads.

Last thing any of us want to see is a thread labeled "ENGINE %&CKED UP" or "I MESSED UP".

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to implore you to stop! Don't touch anything. You need to backup, and tell us what the problem is, and let's not talk about clunking sounds from using either. What you just posted indicates that you didn't understand what he said, and your really not ready to do this anyway.

I am reposting Mel's post from 11:09pst today.
Since can't understand what Mel is say gently......
that is why I am yelling.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Alright, Im gonna step in before kenneth goes crazy or towcat ends up in the hospital.

I will restate what kenneth said. WE ARE TRYING TO HELP YOU. WE ARE ALSO TRYING TO KEEP YOU FROM ROYALLY F*#KING UP YOUR ENGINE. Towcat, Agnem, and Type4 know what they are doing. Listen to them. I also know what I am doing and have a considerable amount of time and money invested into the tools to do exactly what you are attempting.

Do you have a remote starter? Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Do you have a small dental mirror? Do you have an open ended 9/16's wrench? Do you have an open ended 5/8ths wrench? If you have all of these then call my cell phone 407-403-4221. I will help you but you have to listen and if you start talking back or getting mouthy I will hang up and let you ruin the truck.

Kenneths truck was in a state when we went to look at it, I drove to bend to meet him to go see it. We got it to fire and run and now he drives it every day. I dont know everything, but I learn VERY QUICKLY and when a wiser person than myself speaks, I listen and then ask further questions to solidify the pearls of wisdom they have so graciously given.

Most on here wont yell and scream and *****. I will. Im a hand full and a hard ass. I offer you my help as best I can over the phone. take it or leave it.

PUNK

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online