Truck for sale. Was "need a mechanic who can work free in TN"

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so today (after it got done raining) I went outside cycled the GP's for 4-6 second intervals about 2 or 3 times, cranked it, she wasn't puffing smoke but there was some smoke coming out and it did smell like burning diesel, so there is fuel getting to it, I just think the IP is out of time so bad, it's won't inject the fuel at the right time... I was gonna keep doing it until the battery cable that goes down to the starter broke, basically what happened was the last time I cranked it, the cable connector (to the starter) got so hot it (cherry red hot!!) it broke off, so I tried to compensate for what happened with 2 washers and a new nut went under there and fixed it (temporarily), it worked for a little bit but today was it's last leg... and then I just pulled the entire battery connector assembly out, so I am going to take it to get a new end piece to put on, nothing is wrong with the cable it's just that end piece got so hot it broke in 2... but when I did get it to crank it was smokin, I guess it was the cetane booster I put in the fuel, maybe it was on the virge of starting and then that starter cable went KA PUT... so tomorrow I am taking that to my friend house to fix he may even have a harness from his 83 F250....

Make sure to charge your batteries fully again before trying this tomorrow, it will give you the best shot at getting it started. If it is cranking over slow at all it will not start easy at all. Your starter might be about to crap out too if you have good batteries and it is still turning over slow.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it's not much of an F250 now, it'e just a cab no engine or anything just some wires and a PSP (power steering pump) but he does his own stuff he is turning a ford 460 into Propane injection type deal for his rock climber

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
tell him to be REALLY careful with that, and dont be too close when he goes to start it the first time (dont ask how I know how wrong that can go).

Im not ruling out timing but if it was timeing and nothing else then it should fire and run with ether (which by the way is a really bad idea and should not be used).

Are your batteries fully charge and starter in good shape (except the above mentioned cable)? If it is cranking decent (around 600 rpms) and you have gray smoke then you need to check your glow plugs. to properly check them you need a test light and a volt meter that will read ohms.

Let me know if you have access to these when you get the cable fixed.

punk

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked all my GP's 4 out of my 8 GP's work the front ones 2 on the dirvers side and 2 on the passengers side work... the rest of em are dead... it might be just the timing it be a combination of things.... the injectors look pretty old and not maintained that well so it could be a possibility the injectors need to be serviced and/or replaced...

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
right now mine cranks bad cause my starter barely turns the engine fast enough for it to fire, so my starter is on its last leg:thumbsup:

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man I wish starters werent so expensive or else I would go buy one that turns really fast... I don't think mine is close to going out it was made in 2004

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
man I wish starters werent so expensive or else I would go buy one that turns really fast... I don't think mine is close to going out it was made in 2004

if you crank it over can you count the revolutions of the engine? if you can count them it turns to slow, if you cant then its alright

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting a SEMI battery LOL it would definitely start LOL

Go ahead and stick a couple of them in there, you could even make a box in your bed or on the frame to hold them, but if you starter is crap, it won't matter how many batteries you hook to it.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it's the darn battery (singular) I am using it's got 933 CCA's but it's a piece of **** I am going to return it to O'reilly and tell them give me another battery that actually works.... I've heard the starter go, it can boogy when you put enough juice in it

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, it's the darn battery (singular) I am using it's got 933 CCA's but it's a piece of **** I am going to return it to O'reilly and tell them give me another battery that actually works.... I've heard the starter go, it can boogy when you put enough juice in it

it needs 2 batteries to start right.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no one is for accessories and the other is for the starter besides if I used the other battery with the one good one I have it the good one would drain into the bad one, the only way to tell how good each battery is is by how fast and how long the battery can turn the starter

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
If you are using only one battery then you are fighting a losing fight here. You need two batteries of no less than 850 cca each. These are big blocky chunks of cast iron and it takes some serious current to turn that much mass that fast. I know some have less than 850 cca's and it works but for matters of eliminating factors causing the concern, Get TWO of AT LEAST 850 cca. Get the other 4 glow plugs while your at o reilly too. An 84 uses the old spade style glow plugs and the old style controller. That controller is a a glorified relay setup and if 4 are bad then the rest are gonna go soon if you dont fix it now.

good batteries, starter, and glow plugs will help narrow down what is going on.

punk

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
no one is for accessories and the other is for the starter besides if I used the other battery with the one good one I have it the good one would drain into the bad one, the only way to tell how good each battery is is by how fast and how long the battery can turn the starter

it takes 2 batteries for it to have engought juice to run everything and to start the engine! the glow plug pulls about 200 amps alone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online