Truck for sale. Was "need a mechanic who can work free in TN"

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it sounds like you pulling all the power necessary and then some to get a good spin on the starter, do you just have a basic starter? or some super high powered one? LOL

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a NipponDenso starter, it was advertised as a higher torque starter, supposed to crank even faster than the mitsubishi that is the high torque starter that people replace the stock starter with.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Uggh. Im hot (its still almost a hundred degrees outside here, and I have no a/c either), tired and now I get to deal with this.

Fordman, You need some basic tools. You need a volt meter to test current draw, voltage drop, and ohm out your glow plugs. All of us are posting and telling you what to do next and we get posts like "NO one is for starting and one is for accesories". dont argue. Read, understand, ask questions if you dont understand and perform the steps we are instructing you to.

The worlds best teacher is useless on a pupil unwilling or unable to learn.

get two good batteries (have the one you have tested and buy a used one that they can load test there, they will charge them both up for free if you leave them there for a few hours.

I am not sure if your starter cable was bad from neglect, previous owner or you cranking on the trucks with enough amps to melt the internals of the starter but not enough to turn the engine. A starter that wont turn is a dead short, meaning a 750 cca battery is pushing 750+ amps down a wire and its returning through the ground side. the load in that circuit is the biggest amp draw, a bad connection could have been that and it heated it like a light bulb and it blew.

This is exactly why we tell you what to check IN THE ORDER WE TELL YOU, and ask so many questions first. We have all been there and seen a million and one things cause a no start, we are trying to narrow that number down a bit.

get a volt meter, get good batteries, let us know when you got this.

punk

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I;ve got a cheap voltmeter but if you put it on a battery the needle pegs, (it's a cheap multimeter) but I think Punk is right that wire might've had a really bad connection to the starter

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I;ve got a cheap voltmeter but if you put it on a battery the needle pegs, (it's a cheap multimeter) but I think Punk is right that wire might've had a really bad connection to the starter

You need to load test a battery to know if it is good, they will do this for you at O'reilly's. The voltage will just tell you if it is charged up, it may not hold a charge long under a load if it is no good.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had them test it twice and they said they were good, I actually stayed to make sure they weren't B SING me

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hell, I don't know it wasn't spinning as fast as it was before the cable broke, so I'm guessing that the cable has a small but fatal short somewhere, so like I said next time I get some money it will be soon, and i will buy a new cable

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
You really need to cool your jets and back down a FEW pegs. Clever english. You wanna be a *******, then see how much help you get verses cold shoulders. My truck runs fairly well, the trucks I help to keep on the road run well too, therefore it makes NO difference to me if yours ever fires again. Got it?

Punk

that said if you have two good batteries and it isnt spinning fast enough then your starter is going or your cables are causing a voltage drop before the starter. IF your meter will read 12 volts then you can perform a test to see which is the case. Wanna learn something pupil or are you unwilling and/or unable?

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, Don't call me pupil call me by my screen name, seriously, or call me Recruit ****** Klein
but don't call me pupil please.

and I can almost guarantee after talking to yall that, the the cable was causing a major voltage dropage..