Truck for sale. Was "need a mechanic who can work free in TN"

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey fellow OB fans i need some assistance according to one of our fellow OB's (no persons to be named to protect their identity) he believes that it is a strong possibility that my IP is out of time... I would not ask anyone to help but this is my 1st diesel and I have no idea on timing the thing... can anyone help in the state of TN?

thanks

Ps. I live in Watertown

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
In case I'm wrong, I'm the one that is suggesting the IP timing being off. After chatting with Ken, it has come to my knowledge that the truck had head gaskets replaced by the PO and the guy said it didn't seem to run the same after the new head gaskets. I thought that the IP could be out of time if the PO didn't install it correctly (IP gear and/or IP timing itself). With ether, the truck is making a "clunking" sound (pre-ignition?). If I could be wrong, someone please repost before he lossens the IP or unbolts the upper cover to check. I was trying to offer any possibilities of a possible no start problem.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like whoever did the headgaskets may have removed the gear tower. Just a guess though. A clunk is not how most people would describe really advanced timing though. ;Really As long as he marks the present location of the IP, there would be no harm in him trying to retard it himself. :dunno

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know of any member in that part of the country with a proper timing meter. You are in a bit of a pickle. Most diesel shops don't have the proper equipment to "pulse" time the truck. It should be 8.5 degrees before top dead center + or - 2 degrees at 2000 rpm, measuring the pulse on the #1 injector line. Timing by the mark on the IP/IP gear cover or timing by ear are at best a guess to get you in the ball park.

Mel (Agnem) timed about 7-8 trucks for free at the rally in Bowling Green. I'm afraid that was as close to getting your truck timed for free as you were going to get. Sorry man.:dunno

You could try calling local shops and speaking to them about their ability and just as importantly, their experience in timing these IDI's.

Heath

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel, we (me and Ken) think it is preignite it only does it when you try and use ether to help it along but thats the only time in clunks, can someone take a picture of what to actually take apart to get to the timing gear? I am going to see if it has that special y mark on it that you time it too....

thanks

Ken

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG! Your talking about using either and it is clunking? That's totally different. I myself have always thought that Either is highly abusive and the engine makes a hell of a racket.

Remember.... timing controls the injection of fuel into the cylinder. If your using either...

There is no injection.....

There is no timing....

The fuel is already in there.....

Of course it's going to pre-detonate!

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, yeah I just used just a little bit.... but kenneth said it's better to use ether than Gas on a rag...... so what part of the IP do I take apart to time it

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't want to take any part of the Injection Pump apart to time it, just loosen the 3 bolts up on the round flange of the injection pump, where it attaches to the gear cover that has the oil fill tube. If you are going to try and turn it yourself, try moving the top of it towards the driver side for safety reasons, only move a little at a time and never try to move it while it is running.

BTW I just got your PM, my truck has 36 12.50 16.5 military hummer tires, the only lift I have is a 3 inch body lift, it will rub the springs just a little if I turn it full lock.

Also is your trucking running or just cranking when it is making this noise, either way either is going to make it really noisy, but if you already got it running it is going to sound even worse. I am just curious if you were using either to keep it running or just to help it start, either way is not ideal but many people have done it, I even witnessed a friend either his 97 Powerstroke and then blow the air filter box off of it when it was ignited by the heater. I told him not to do it but he said he had done it before with no problems.

Maybe you can take a video of this and post it so we know exactly what you are talking about, but as Mel said if it only does it with either then I doubt the problem is your IP.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks again, So i only need to remove the thing with the oil fill tube?

NO don't remove that. There are 3 bolts around the round flange on the back of it that hold the IP to it, those are the ones you want to loosen to turn the pump. The bottom one is going to be a pain in the **** to get to, but you can do it with some trying. Just loosen those 3 and then turn the top of the pump towards the drivers side to retard the timing. If you take the gear cover loose from the engine you are going to make for a really hard time getting everything back in time without pulling everything off the front of the engine, It can be done but is tough.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to implore you to stop! Don't touch anything. You need to backup, and tell us what the problem is, and let's not talk about clunking sounds from using either. What you just posted indicates that you didn't understand what he said, and your really not ready to do this anyway.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, well lets see here, it won't start, what are the 3 things diesel needs to run

Compression

Timed Injection

Correct air fuel ratio

well were getting air, we are getting compression.....

so that leaves us with timed injection

when I give it a small shot of ether and crank it acts like it wants to start but doesnt

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can check your timing to see if it is close to right by, lining up the mark on you dampner (on the crank, front of engine) with the line marked 0 on the tab sticking off the front timing cover. Then remove the oil fill tube from the ip gear cover without removing the gear cover itself. The dial pin in the gear should be at 4 oclock on the compression stroke. You can use this to check if the timing is close or completely out of the ball park. I will try to find some pictures for you .