Truck for sale. Was "need a mechanic who can work free in TN"

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fuel problems are solved, it is the timed injection/engine timing part i need help with.... when are you available?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fuel problems are solved, it is the timed injection/engine timing part i need help with.... when are you available?

I'm not sure. No white smoke (unburnt fuel) from the exhaust while cranking? I have a suspicion you have more than one problem. I fear you are still having fuel supply issues and that the IP gear has been removed and is now off time. You really should get a Haynes Diesel Engine Repair Manual and start reading. If will help you and who ever can help you work on your truck. They can be had at most autoparts places or just buy one online.

Heath

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting fuel because when I loosened an injector line it was squirting fuel.....but yeah I think the timing for the IP is way off.... so remove all the belts and make sure all the lines and ys are lined up correctly. and do the same for the IP gear..... I'm thinking it may just be the IP timing is off

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting fuel because when I loosened an injector line it was squirting fuel.....but yeah I think the timing for the IP is way off.... so remove all the belts and make sure all the lines and ys are lined up correctly. and do the same for the IP gear..... I'm thinking it may just be the IP timing is off

I just noticed that you never mentioned bleeding the lines, if you did not do this then you are not going to get fuel to get the engine cranked.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did bleed the lines, and I if there was any residual air in the returns it wouldve went to filter and thats when I push the shraeder valve in to release any air....

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not mean return lines, I mean the actual injector lines. You need to loosen a couple Injector lines at the top of the injectors, turn the ignition on, hold the throttle to the floor and crank until a good amount of fuel is coming out from the line around the two injectors. Then you tighten those 2 back down and go to the next 2 until you have them all bled. It will typical start to run after you get 4 or so bled and then you can have it idling and crack the remaining lines to blead them, or do as some and just hold it at 2k rpms until it smooths out.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, I did that, that was the first thing I did when I got done messing with the fuel lines (ie. returns, injector lines, actual tank to pump lines ect.).... well the person who I talked to that I bought the truck from said it did need to be timed up

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, I did that, that was the first thing I did when I got done messing with the fuel lines (ie. returns, injector lines, actual tank to pump lines ect.).... well the person who I talked to that I bought the truck from said it did need to be timed up

Well that must be all it needs then , no one ever lies when they are selling a car.LOLLOL

You need someone who can actually troubleshoot this engine, there are only so many things we can suggest without being there and working on the engine, I am sorry to hear about your luck, but I have been screwed on vehicles before too, but they were a bit more complicated like a junky LandRover. It may be something simple, that you are just not checking because you do not have experience with these motors.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know I am sending dyoung14 a PM to see when and if he is available to help me out.... since he only lives an hour or so away....so do I need to take all the belts off? or just the crank belt and alternator belt off?

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The belts have nothing to do with the timing. If you want to take the front cover of the engine off and time it that way, then you are going to have to remove the water pump, dampner, and most if not all the accesories, I am not sure you should do this without someone else there helping you. If you would just go and buy the manual for the diesel engine, I think it would really help you, you need to get a fundamental understanding of these engines before you start to do the things that you are wanting to do. I am not trying to insult you, but some of the things that you are wanting to do are not really for beginners, and I think you need some more experience with engines before you try messing with the timing or timing gears of a diesel.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I;m not going to, LOL, I am going to see if all it needs is the timing of the IP.... do you know of any videos on the internet that actually show someone timing an IP?

thanks

Ken

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I;m not going to, LOL, I am going to see if all it needs is the timing of the IP.... do you know of any videos on the internet that actually show someone timing an IP?

thanks

Ken

You can't properly time it without the right tools, they are expensive. You can do what I mentioned earlier and time it close but not exact. A video wouldn't really help you because you don't have the diesel timing tools, which is what the video would show.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know my dad has timing tools for diesel (hes a lightweight mechanic for the Army) but even if I could get it close, it would help,

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys after further looking at where everyone was talking about where the timing gear is I think I can time it myself.... thanks again

please keep posting for hints and tips