Truck for sale. Was "need a mechanic who can work free in TN"

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is completley off, as I told kenneth the previous owner put new head gaskets on it and they might of gotten the thing so out of wack it won't even want to fire... thats why they sold it cheep to the person before me...

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go.

Here is the dampner and TDC marks.

You must be registered for see images

This is the gear with the cover off, in it's correct location when at TDC, you don't need to remove the cover to see the location of the pin.

You must be registered for see images

These came from this http://www.members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Timing article.htm website, you can read all about timing there, but you don't want to remove the timing cover unless you really have to.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, hopefully I can get this taken care of this week, can't for the next 3 days because according to TWC it is going to rain yehhh (sarcasm)

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
before moving the IP or anything else I would check the timing using that method to see if it is close. Also, how old is the diesel that is in the tank, it could be bad, I know it sounds weird but we had a tractor once that wouldn't crank no matter what and we ended up draining the tank and putting fresh fuel in and it fired right up.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, when someone i know explained it to me they said I had to remove the whole front of the engine and also remove the belts and pully's and what not.. guess they didn't know what they were talking about

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do have to remove all of that if you want to make sure all the timing marks are lined up, but hopefully no one has messed with the cam timing, you can time the injection pump with all that on the engine, it is just more difficult. The proper way is to remove everything and line all the timing marks up though.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, well lets see here, it won't start, what are the 3 things diesel needs to run

Compression

Timed Injection

Correct air fuel ratio

well were getting air, we are getting compression.....

so that leaves us with timed injection

when I give it a small shot of ether and crank it acts like it wants to start but doesnt

Your close....

You need -

HEAT

FUEL (at the right moment)

AIR.

HEAT can be missing. It can be due to inoperative glow plugs, slow cranking, or both.

FUEL will be present if you have smoke. No smoke = no fuel or no heat or no Air. - and it doesn't matter if it is timed or not. Even an engine out of time completely will smoke some from the fuel burning at any point in the compression stroke.

Air is the one that everybody always seems to have.

So figure out if you have smoke of some kind. If you do, then your know you have fuel coming out of the injectors. If your starter is spinning at the correct speed, and you have good compression, you will get smoke even without glow plugs. This you must determine before trying anything else.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get a little (its not billowing just like a little wisp of smoke it smells like burnt diesel) coming out of the breather when I stop cranking

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the title of the post says it all. Do one of 3 things....

Sell it.

Get some professional help on it.

Tow it to a member who will help you.

I think somebody saw you coming, and your way in over your head.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I would tow it to a members house, but there aint no members in the state of TN besides myself, my uncle Marty is going to call his brother in law which lives outside of west nashville to see if he can help...

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Yeah I would tow it to a members house, but there aint no members in the state of TN besides myself, my uncle Marty is going to call his brother in law which lives outside of west nashville to see if he can help...

i live in tennessee, but i do not have time to work on it, it sounds to me like you have a fuel problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online