IDI mechanic San Jose area

allonon

Reaction score
Hi All

Been lurking for awhile but now have a question. Have a '93 7.3 that was sitting for 3 years due to personal issues. It's not our main vehicle, only used for hauling and towing things around town when needed. Unfortunately my guy is no longer with us so i need to find a mechanic to do a once over and tune up.

I can do basic stuff so i just redid the return lines as they were cracked. Had to replace one of the injectors since as careful as i was being, i still buggered it. It's running, starting up as well as it ever did but when driving its overly sluggish and dying when coasting in to a stop.

Can anyone suggest somebody in the San Jose area that can take a look?

thanks

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds to me like the metering rod on the IP is a little sticky. First thing I would try is getting a new fuel filter and fill it full of atf or fuel treatment before installing. After installing the filter, start the engine and let it run for about 45 seconds and shut it off. Let is set for a minimum of 12 hours, after which time start it up and take it out for a hard run. (As I was told "drive it like you stole it").

I recently bought a truck that had been sitting untouched far around 10 years that I had to do this treatment to a couple times to get it to stop dying every time I let off the accelerator. Haven't had any issues out of it for a few months now.

James

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It sounds to me like the metering rod on the IP is a little sticky. First thing I would try is getting a new fuel filter and fill it full of atf or fuel treatment before installing. After installing the filter, start the engine and let it run for about 45 seconds and shut it off. Let is set for a minimum of 12 hours, after which time start it up and take it out for a hard run. (As I was told "drive it like you stole it").

I recently bought a truck that had been sitting untouched far around 10 years that I had to do this treatment to a couple times to get it to stop dying every time I let off the accelerator. Haven't had any issues out of it for a few months now.

James
Not to mention that you can save yourself a lot of money by doing this instead of taking it to someone else who may just do the same exact thing.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to mention that you can save yourself a lot of money by doing this instead of taking it to someone else who may just do the same exact thing.

Yea that's definitely an added bonus, not to mention the fact that most all mechanic shops are now parts changers!

They would probably just change the IP which is likely still good.

James

Sparks-IDI

Reaction score
I just now had an issue with an intermittent engine miss. Engine idling really smooth, then you can feel a miss. Blip the throttle and it goes away. I assumed it must be an injector or injectors, just not sure which one. I have read about this ATF trick and decided to give it a try. So I set up an ATF IV Drip! Ran a couple of quarts thru the system, and stopped the engine as it was running out and left it filled with ATF overnight. Hooked fuel lines back up and tried it today. BIG difference. Runs really smooth now. So yea, it really does seem to work. Might help even more to leave the ATF in the fuel system longer than overnight if you can.

Attachments

• ATF IV Drip.jpg
    ATF IV Drip.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 11

allonon

Reaction score
ok, I had the fuel filter on the list anyways since i did see it crying a little. That gives me more reason to do it. I do have seafoam in the fuel but i'm sure it's too light a mixture to do enough with as long as it sat.

I'll give it a couple of goes and see what happens

thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online