Truck for sale. Was "need a mechanic who can work free in TN"

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I'm on the phone with punkmechanic right now. He and I agree on the following: Go to Lowes, Home Depot, or ANY parts store and get a crimp connection end for the cable. Also grab a chisel (not a real sharp one). Take the old cable, strip the insulation of it back 1'"-2". Trim the end of the wire and slip the new connector onto the wire. Use the chisel and a hammer (or brick/whatever) to hit the chisel and "crimp" the end on. THIS IS A TEMP FIX THAT WILL NEED TO BE FIXED LATER, but it should get the truck to crank over for now. We want to help you, but it's getting frustrating when you seem like it's no big deal. We both have side jobs to do and can't just sit here waiting for your updates as you feel like it.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the problem is, my mom aint got no car and neither do I or else this would have been done the first time it broke so it's kinda hard to get a damn ride to Lebanon, like I said I will try and get down the the Starter/Alternator place monday...

ellis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this guy needs a job,money and a gas burner if you aint got the doe than you want get far
i had a lot of trouble with my truck but just reading on hear i fixed it it just took time thanks guys for all the info

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh I'm sorry did I fail to mention THAT my mommy and daddy don't hand me everything if that what your implying???

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Patience, grasshopper.

The point is this, certain things MUST be right or a diesel will not start.
The guys here wi;ll try to work around any problem; they are as creative as the situation allows. But, just as you cannot build a nuclear bomb w/o an amount of radioactive material, there are some places where short cuts, and work arounds just won't do.

I appreciate that your resources are stretched a bit, but the true economy lies in doing what has been requested. Going off in5 different directions because you can do those things prevents the required focus on the primary problem.
If you don't have the resources for a starter, or proper cables, or batteries, then wait until you can get those things.
The truck will wait.
We will all still be here.
Life will go on.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ellis said:
this guy needs a job,money and a gas burner if you aint got the doe than you want get far
i had a lot of trouble with my truck but just reading on hear i fixed it it just took time thanks guys for all the info

oh I'm sorry did I fail to mention THAT my mommy and daddy don't hand me everything if that what your implying???
you must be reading into it too deep. I don't see where he is implying you lead an entitled life. If nothing else, you certainly have plenty of arrogance and not a hint of humility.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Fordman, i work full time to pay my bills and do side work to keep my truck and two cars mobile. I also donate time, money, effort, and patience to the diesel community as a whole. I havent had money from anyone in years ( except school loans).

I completly understand the meaning of broke, poor, hard work, and hunger. Im asking you to tough it out a bit and get whats needed before we progress forward. I appreciate your interest in diesels and in particular idi's. Few on here hav a " perfect" truck, but even less are anything but proud of their rig. We maintain and work these rigs and ourselves. We have every right to be proud of that.

I may come off as a hard ass, arrogant know it all. Im actually a hard ass arrogant enthusiast learning everything i can, and doing mybest to spread that info as far and wide as i can.

I want your truck to run to put another idi back on the road. I cant do it for you, but i can lead you through the process. If you will pay attetion and learn something.

Dont get all pissed off about a comment. We are all a group with a common interest. You need to focus on the truck or getting money for needed parts. Just keep in mind we have all been there and all needed help.

Punk

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok good news everyone, I has mowed someones yard a few months ago and had been begging them to pay be the money they owe me so sometime during the week I should get a check in the mail so say a prayer it's over 100$

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if they sell those individual starter post/connectors at o'reilly's just the connector not the whole cable?

thanks

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if they sell those individual starter post/connectors at o'reilly's just the connector not the whole cable?

thanks

Yes you can get copper ring terminals to go on the end of the battery cable if that is what you mean, even walmart carries those back in the automotive section by the batteries. Last time I bought one they were 99 cents a piece or something like that.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm talking about the one that goes on the starter is that what your talking about?

I am talking about this:

You must be registered for see images

You can get them at walmart and they require no special tools to put on the end of battery cables. All you need is a hammer and a flat sturdy surface.

The proper way is to solder the end on, but you can very easily just take a hammer and "crimp" it on the end of a stripped battery cable.