Truck for sale. Was "need a mechanic who can work free in TN"

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no the cable is not yet fixed but moms boyfriend has the day off, so maybe he can take me down to the alternator/starter place to see if that guy can fix it...

say a prayer (live off of those LOL)

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Did you get the cables fixed (or replaced) today? It's 5:30pm (PST) and just checking to see how things are going. Let us know.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't get much done today other than putting in some new fuel lines in near the tank, unfortunately I did not get those damn cables fixed, I'm thinking about walking down 70 (16 mile hike)tomorrow to go see if I can't not get them fixed, if mom can't drive me

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Try to do one thing at a time. If the fuel lines youessed with didnt seal properly then you will now jave air in the fuel and that can cause a no start even with a good starting system.

Punk

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bypassed that 3rd party fuel shut off valve that was causing a little air in the first place.... let's talk fuel additives for a minute here I was reading something on another forum web site were someone was stating that the new diesel fuel can cause damage to the IP if you don't put a fuel lubricant in it... is this true?

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bypassed that 3rd party fuel shut off valve that was causing a little air in the first place.... let's talk fuel additives for a minute here I was reading something on another forum web site were someone was stating that the new diesel fuel can cause damage to the IP if you don't put a fuel lubricant in it... is this true?

Sounds like someone was trying to sell some fuel additives.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know I was just reading because it was on a IH 6.9l Forum, so I didn't know if it was of any concern or not

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know I was just reading because it was on a IH 6.9l Forum, so I didn't know if it was of any concern or not

Some people swear by them, because of the added lubrication, and others say that they are just snake oil and a waste of money. I only use additives in the winter to prevent gelling.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I only use additives in the winter to prevent gelling.

Same here. I use Diesel Kleen in the winter and I used to dump 1/4 quart of ATF in each tank of ULSD, but since running on WMO, I think I'm getting plenty of lube in the system now. :dunno So far, no issues or problems so I don't intend on stopping the use of WMO in my truck.

When changing the fuel filter, I just fill the new filter with fresh diesel and install it. I give it a little throttle after it fires to get the mechanical pump working a little faster to reduce the chance of a "stall" in case of an air bubble.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Im running b99 so I have all the btu's and lubricity I need. The only issue now is replacing rubber lines and seals as the b99 eats them. The best is good ole diesel like they used to sell in the 80's, no low or ultra low sulfur just straight torque making diesel. Thats not an option though so I will run b99 and eventually replace all the rubber in the fuel system.

To each their own.

punk