Truck Died this morning....Any ideas?

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Been back & forth to home depot a couple times this morning & this last trip the truck ran fine to the store but when I left, I pulled away from the traffic light & was accelerating when the truck just shut off. Cranked a few times & it restarted. Started off again & it died. Did that 3 more times & the check engine light came on but I'm not sure if it was on 'cause the motor died or it was really a check engine indicator. Started it back up & it stayed running & got me home (about 6 miles) with no more trouble.

I was thinking cam sensor might be going bad. IIRC I had a wrecker with a 7.3 PSD that just quit like that & thats what it was. Any way to tell for sure?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes but rarely, the CPS will set a code when bad. Get a spare to put in the glove box and welcome to PSD's. That truely has to be the most annoying thing about the PSD.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Yup....sounds like your CPS went Tango Uniform....along with a spare...a 10 mm socket/rachet ;Sweet ....cause ya just never know when you either will need it for yourself or some poor guy stuck on the side of the road with a truck full of screamers and a not so into diesel truck wife:eek: ........:hail

Many have had good things to say about the "blue" CPS...it seems happier in the stooper doopys than OBS trucks for some reason cookoo

When you change out the bad one, coat the bolt with some never sieze....iron bolt in alloy housing thing:thumbsup: and use some dielectric grease on the connection....get a reg size squeeze tube and some electric contact cleaner too and hit every connection under the hood;Sweet ....even the new v/c harness etc.......

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where's the best place to get the CPS and other sensors. Seeing prices vary from $100 and change to well over $200:eek: for one of these.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Haven't driven it since this morning, but I'll have to get another sensor I guess. Thank for the input fellers.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
cmp is the proper abriaviation for that sensor :)

ill come to your house and do it, its gravy, and yeah its very common, and sounds exactly what it is
You don't have to do that. I would like to pull the codes on the computer though. You working Monday?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes they are OBD2 but the cheapo autozone scanners wil not work on them.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes they are OBD2 but the cheapo autozone scanners wil not work on them.
AUTOZONE:puke: I won't even buy bubble gum at the local store here.

Reading my mind you were Hmmmmmm.....Darkside is very strong.

Been doing a bit of research on the subject.....This is the one I am thinking about, the Equus 3100C http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3389&mfrcode=EQU&mfrpartnumber=3100C

Because it can pull both Generic (P0) and Manufacturer specific (P1) diagnostic codes.

OR

Kinda leaning toward the Equus 3130 http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3389&mfrcode=EQU&mfrpartnumber=3130

Retrieves OBD2 DTCs: Generic Codes (P0, P2, P3, and U0) / Manufacturer Specific Codes (P1, P3, and U1)

Communicates with all OBD 2 protocols: C.A.N. (Controller Area Network), ISO 9141, J1850PWM, J1850VPW, KWP 2000 ISO 14230-4

Wifey also has a 2003 Toyota Tacoma and may have a 2003 Crysler Caravan some day too so I gotta be flexible. With 3 cars in the stable and a possible 4th we don't plan on buying anything else soon.

Trying to get back up to speed on this stuff....in a hurry, last car I had or even worked on that had a puter was a '93 Plymouth Duster that I bought new and gave away a couple years ago, that car was so simple to diagnose and repair;Sweet . Unfortunatly things are getting away from the simplicity of turning the key on and off 3 times or using a jumper wire to pull codes through the check engine light.

Back to the CPS/CMP/ABCDEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII:eek: ....Am I correct to assume that the "blue" CPS is the one distributed by IH that you can get for about $84. If so it beats the heck outta paying $184 for one

Gee feels like this puter stuff is coming back:smash: .......getting the gut feeling I might get to be a pro at it the hard way very soon...as soon as I get the new beast home. Better get the step stool out and cleaned off so I can reach this stuff.

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC the blue CPS was designated for the 466. There has been tons of debate, dispute, ******* matches, arguments and name calling sessions over the reported benefits of the blue CPS, everything from increased mileage, better trap times, longer life out of the unit and one guy even said it made his hair grow back and added length to his *****.

The absolute downright dirtiest and cheapest place to pick up a CPS is on ebay, lots of vendors will claim that the only way the CPS can be sold as cheaply as it is on ebay is if it is stolen stock from a dealership. You can usually pick up a CPS there for 60-70 clams. Powerstrokeshop.com frequently has them on sale for the mid 80 dollar range. Your local IH truck shop will have them in the 90-100 dollar range usually as well.