Trans cooler

gandalf

Reaction score
The only thing a deeper pan does is cool your wallet of $$$.

Not entirely true. The pan on my '92 E4OD is, I think, a bit deeper. It may hold a bit more fluid. However, the main advantage is that it has a drain plug. ;Sweet:D

It took me only one time draining the old pan, without a drain plug, to realize the advantage of that plug. I did it in my driveway, flat on my back. It was NOT a pretty sight. :mad::puke:

Notice also, for those wondering, the location of the trans temp sender. It's the thing with the yellow wire attached. ;p

You must be registered for see images attach

gandalf

Reaction score
My pan looks similar to that with a drain plug, but I would think it is stock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

It was not stock on a '92 model year truck. It became stock on later model years. That is, in fact, a genuine Ford pan, but one from later years, though designated for the E4OD of those following years. It is, of course, a perfect swap onto any E4OD.

On edit:

The part number for that pan is F81Z*7A194*BA. I bought it in July of 2006, at a cost of $32.83, plus tax.

Last edited:

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the trans cooler and auxiliary filter installed. What is the best brand of trans fluid to use and how much will it take to refill, approximately? All I can find around here so far is multiuser dextron /merc

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mercon V, or any Full synthetic or blend ATF, Amsoil full synthetic. The filter takes about an extra quart, tranny takes 14 quarts, dump in 12 quarts, warm up the tranny, check when hot engine at idle, top off, but DON'T overfill, better to leave a 1/4" low on the stick.

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Mobil 1 or Valvoline Max life are very good. Mobil 1 is full synthetic. Valvoline is a synthetic blend.
You can use Mercon V, Mercon, or Mercon/Dexron.

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
ok I dropped the pan and this is what I found, it doesn't look good but the truck still drives in all gears

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as what's on the magnet, if that's the first change ever or the first change after a rebuild from way in the past, don't worry about it, that's a normal amount. Just shows you the magnet is doing its job. Ditto if it's been a long run on the oil. What oil there is in the pic looks very brown, however, which leads me to believe it's been a long run. Or a very hard one.

Eleftherakis & Kahlil, two engineers who literally wrote the book on auto trans contamination thru decades of research, found that the average automatic generates 75 percent of it's lifetime amount of contaminants in the first 5K miles of use, either after manufacture or after a rebuild. That's the junk built in from manufacturing/rebuilding and from break in. The amount built in is variable according to how good or bad the manufacturing/rebuilding process was. The Japanese and Europeans have been better at clean AT manufacturing over the past 25 years or so, but the Yanks have caught up lately... by necessity, I think. Break in is still an issue. The indicator is to either a) change the trans oil very early, in that 5K range, or b) add an external trans filter right away to clear out all that contamination.

After break in, the rate of contamination levels off at a greatly reduced rate and the contamination level in the oil increases at a steady rate from normal wear. Contamination rates are often related to the use of the vehicle. Easy use = low rate and vice versa.

The main goal then is to monitor fluid condition and change the oil when either, a) the contamination level rises past about 25 mg/l or, b) the fluid has oxidized or is depleted in some way. In most cases, without additional filtration, the contamination level rises past an optimal level before the fluid is depleted (this is an across-the-board, generic statement; there are individual exceptions).

For long term service of the oil, some addition trans filtration (beyond the pad in the pan), which will hold the contamination in check so the fluid can live a natural life. If the contamination level is maintained below 25mg/l (the optimal level is below 10 mg/l, all this was determined by Eleftherakis and Kahlil) then in an easily used trans with a premium fluid in which the temps have been kept below 230F, ATF life can indeed be virtually considered "lifetime" in many cases. Certainly 100K +.

Determining all these conditions does require extra effort on the part of the owner. For the most part, IMO, if you have a good supplemental filtration system (an inline filter is fine), you could pretty much tell by fluid color but I am pedantic enough to want to do a periodic UOA (every 30K or so) long enough to determine some working guidelines as to the life of the oil. Once I have a basic pattern, then monitoring is unnecessary IMO, until some part of the equation changes (operationally or the oil).

Now as to what trackspeeder said:

Originally Posted by trackspeeder
You must be registered for see images attach

The only thing a deeper pan does is cool your wallet of $$$.

You are basically right, though there are advantages to more fluid. Unless the deeper pan has cooling fins or tubes, the deep pan in and of itself has minimal effect on stabilized pan oil temp. Because a deep pan has more surface area, there is a little more cooling effect just from that, but it's not enough to argue over unless the pan had fins. The things a deeper pan DOES do is slow the rate at which oil temp increases. It takes longer to heat up an 8 quart volume of oil than it does a 4 quart volume, but over time the greater oil volume will still reach more or less the same operational temps as dictated by the operating conditions as the lesser volume. The deep pan also allows for an extension of service life because of the increased oil volume. A trans generates "X" amount of contamination per 1000 miles no matter what and if it's diluted by more oil, you can run that much longer before you have to change oil based on the mg/l contamination levels in the oil

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to spend this kind of money on a fancy tranny pan when it has little to no advantage.
http://www.amazon.com/aFe-46-70182-...1436964069&sr=8-13&keywords=ford+f350+oil+pan
Unless ya wanta say, Hey look at my shiny new tranny oil pan. But then ya have to match it with a high priced Diff covers (4x4). OK if ya have a show truck.LOL
When you can get an OEM pan for $40.
The money is better spent (for less) on an oil cooler. The 6.0 oil cooler costs about the same as the above Amazon pan, the TruCool Max LPD 47391 for $150 will do the job for most any IDI E4OD load pulling.

My thoughts are, stick a TruCool on her and load er up with Mobil 1 or like Synthetic, she'll run for another 100K miles.
EDIT: If ya want a filter on it, stick a Magnatex inline filter on it for another $16. Change it every 10K miles.

Last edited:

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone want to spend this kind of money on a fancy tranny pan when it has little to no advantage.
http://www.amazon.com/aFe-46-70182-...1436964069&sr=8-13&keywords=ford+f350+oil+pan
Unless ya wanta say, Hey look at my shiny new tranny oil pan. But then ya have to match it with a high priced Diff covers (4x4). OK if ya have a show truck.LOL
When you can get an OEM pan for $40.
The money is better spent (for less) on an oil cooler. The 6.0 oil cooler costs about the same as the above Amazon pan, the TruCool Max LPD 47391 for $150 will do the job for most any IDI E4OD load pulling.

My thoughts are, stick a TruCool on her and load er up with Mobil 1 or like Synthetic, she'll run for another 100K miles.
EDIT: If ya want a filter on it, stick a Magnatex inline filter on it for another $16. Change it every 10K miles.

I haven't tested an AFE pan, but we did before and after temp tests on a Mag-Hytec pan on a 4R70 trans it it could consistently knock an average of 15F off the stabilized pan oil temp. Plus it added four quarts to the capacity, a magnetic drain plug and a cast, never-leak pan and a port for a temp sensor. Is that worth the cost? Maybe, maybe not. For the long term perhaps but I agree it wouldn't be "Job 1." I've really liked having that pan on the F150HD.

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as what's on the magnet, if that's the first change ever or the first change after a rebuild from way in the past, don't worry about it, that's a normal amount. Just shows you the magnet is doing its job. Ditto if it's been a long run on the oil. What oil there is in the pic looks very brown, however, which leads me to believe it's been a long run. Or a very hard one.

Eleftherakis & Kahlil, two engineers who literally wrote the book on auto trans contamination thru decades of research, found that the average automatic generates 75 percent of it's lifetime amount of contaminants in the first 5K miles of use, either after manufacture or after a rebuild. That's the junk built in from manufacturing/rebuilding and from break in. The amount built in is variable according to how good or bad the manufacturing/rebuilding process was. The Japanese and Europeans have been better at clean AT manufacturing over the past 25 years or so, but the Yanks have caught up lately... by necessity, I think. Break in is still an issue. The indicator is to either a) change the trans oil very early, in that 5K range, or b) add an external trans filter right away to clear out all that contamination.

After break in, the rate of contamination levels off at a greatly reduced rate and the contamination level in the oil increases at a steady rate from normal wear. Contamination rates are often related to the use of the vehicle. Easy use = low rate and vice versa.

The main goal then is to monitor fluid condition and change the oil when either, a) the contamination level rises past about 25 mg/l or, b) the fluid has oxidized or is depleted in some way. In most cases, without additional filtration, the contamination level rises past an optimal level before the fluid is depleted (this is an across-the-board, generic statement; there are individual exceptions).

For long term service of the oil, some addition trans filtration (beyond the pad in the pan), which will hold the contamination in check so the fluid can live a natural life. If the contamination level is maintained below 25mg/l (the optimal level is below 10 mg/l, all this was determined by Eleftherakis and Kahlil) then in an easily used trans with a premium fluid in which the temps have been kept below 230F, ATF life can indeed be virtually considered "lifetime" in many cases. Certainly 100K +.

Determining all these conditions does require extra effort on the part of the owner. For the most part, IMO, if you have a good supplemental filtration system (an inline filter is fine), you could pretty much tell by fluid color but I am pedantic enough to want to do a periodic UOA (every 30K or so) long enough to determine some working guidelines as to the life of the oil. Once I have a basic pattern, then monitoring is unnecessary IMO, until some part of the equation changes (operationally or the oil).

Now as to what trackspeeder said:

You are basically right, though there are advantages to more fluid. Unless the deeper pan has cooling fins or tubes, the deep pan in and of itself has minimal effect on stabilized pan oil temp. Because a deep pan has more surface area, there is a little more cooling effect just from that, but it's not enough to argue over unless the pan had fins. The things a deeper pan DOES do is slow the rate at which oil temp increases. It takes longer to heat up an 8 quart volume of oil than it does a 4 quart volume, but over time the greater oil volume will still reach more or less the same operational temps as dictated by the operating conditions as the lesser volume. The deep pan also allows for an extension of service life because of the increased oil volume. A trans generates "X" amount of contamination per 1000 miles no matter what and if it's diluted by more oil, you can run that much longer before you have to change oil based on the mg/l contamination levels in the oil
That's alot of good information, what I am mainly concerned with is the larger pieces that were in the pan and what appears to be melted droplets of sodier . Thanks for all the information PwrSmoke

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's alot of good information, what I am mainly concerned with is the larger pieces that were in the pan and what appears to be melted droplets of sodier . Thanks for all the information PwrSmoke

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I completely missed the blobs of solder in your first pic.

Loose valve body attachments aren't a good thing.

Could the blobs of solder come from a melted solenoid, wiring connection or the circuit board?

Basically, a tranny shop with doom and gloom you into a teardown over what's in the pan but since you said it was operating well, you could just clean things up, add new fluid and perhaps add an inline filter. Google "Magnefine" and you will see some VERY effective filters that are inexpensive and easy to install.

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to look closer at the solinoid pack. I have already installed a cooler and auxiliary filter, pulled the pan to change stock filter and found the other surprises. As mentioned in my first post, the trans got hot coming back from vacation, 100 mile trip on interstate 40, hauling my overhead camper. Trans was reportedly rebuilt before I bought truck, and at the time it appeared so, trans was clean and had previous owners name written on pan like it had been at a shop, and that was only about 30k miles ago. I have had issues with od light flashing for quite some time I would reset computer and drive on, it only done it when leaving overdrive on, if I turned off overdrive it would never go to fault mode?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online