Trans cooler

gandalf

Reaction score
Just a quick thought in passing. It may not be worth anything, but it occurred to me as I was reading.

You said molten solder? As in it was stuck to the pan? For that to happen wouldn't it have had to drop onto the pan still in a molten state? I can't think of any other way, offhand. But, if it is inside a hot running transmission, wouldn't it have to drop through the ATF first? Wouldn't that pretty well kill any molten state? If we start with that theory, and the solder truly hit in a molten state, then it must have done so when the pan was not on the transmission. Take a very close and careful look at how that solder is attached to the pan.

Does this make sense?

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick thought in passing. It may not be worth anything, but it occurred to me as I was reading.

You said molten solder? As in it was stuck to the pan? For that to happen wouldn't it have had to drop onto the pan still in a molten state? I can't think of any other way, offhand. But, if it is inside a hot running transmission, wouldn't it have to drop through the ATF first? Wouldn't that pretty well kill any molten state? If we start with that theory, and the solder truly hit in a molten state, then it must have done so when the pan was not on the transmission. Take a very close and careful look at how that solder is attached to the pan.

Does this make sense?
It is not stuck to pan, just 4 or 5 droplets sort of stuck together, yes you would think it had to float on top of fluid to attach to each other? I have not verified it is sodier, I guess it could be melted aluminum, hope not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
those droplets are what I circled around with my finger in this picture to the right

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
ok I dropped the pan and this is what I found, it doesn't look good but the truck still drives in all gears

I wouldn't worry about it. There are no major debris, mainly magnet fuzz. Toss a new filter on it and fill it up.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I haven't tested an AFE pan, but we did before and after temp tests on a Mag-Hytec pan on a 4R70 trans it it could consistently knock an average of 15F off the stabilized pan oil temp. Plus it added four quarts to the capacity, a magnetic drain plug and a cast, never-leak pan and a port for a temp sensor. Is that worth the cost? Maybe, maybe not. For the long term perhaps but I agree it wouldn't be "Job 1." I've really liked having that pan on the F150HD.

A fancy pan might work for a 4R70, but they do nothing for a E4/4R100. They are different animals. Remember not all automatics are the same.

A stock 4R100 pan with a reusable gasket will not leak unless you go gorilla when tightening the bolts. As for a sending unit port the pan would be the last place for this. Test port or output line are the most accurate readings.

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok I think I may have found the source of the sodier, it looks like it has melted off of the circuit board. Any expert or near expert opinions would be appreciated. The circuit board is loose around those round sodier areas in pictures

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how bizarre!.........now i go off to google; at what temp does solder melt lol! do you have a trans temp gauge?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i think your right.i sure don't think there is any other solder inside the trans besides on the solenoid pack.id pull the pack and have someone solder it back up if it's all working fine still.or do it yourself if your good at it.
that's pretty cool actually cus there was never any risk of it going into the trans.even if it fell down in lower and got sucked up by the pump it would have all been caught right there inside the filter.

tip;
in the tech articles i show installing a transgo shift kit.inside there,you'll find info on a removing/installing the pack.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok I think I may have found the source of the sodier, it looks like it has melted off of the circuit board. Any expert or near expert opinions would be appreciated. The circuit board is loose around those round sodier areas in pictures

a quick google:
"Fifty-fifty solder begins to melt at 183 C -361 F, but it's not fully melted until the temperature reaches 216 C - 420 F. Between these two temperatures, the solder exists in a plastic or semi-liquid state."

The only way I see that kind of heat happening here would be with a solenoid
designed to be cooled by the oil running dry and seriously heating up.
And then I would be worried that the solenoid would be binding.
If you do re-solder it (a fairly easy job), it needs to be oil-free at the joint.
Any shifting problems?

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than the od light flashing, it has always shifted fine, even when the od light was flashing it shifted smooth. I did a Google search last night and found one other forum , I believe it was called yellow bullet forum, where they spoke of this happening where the sodier melted off the solinoid.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you need to consider why this might have happened. Hot ATF didn't do it. Heat in an electrical circuit comes from hi impedance (resistance in the circuit) or excess current from a partially grounded circuit. Often the first culprit to look at in any auto electrical problem are grounds, inside and outside the trans. Maybe a solenoid. Or the board could be bad. Unless you want to throw a solenoid pack at it (does it come with the board?), you may want to seek expert advice on this. Anyway, I think you have narrowed the list of "suspects" for sure! Might be the cause of the glitch you noted and maybe your "overheat" was a converter not locking caused by this assembly. Going long distances with sun unlocked converter will overheat a trans lickety-split!

Personally, I would be leery of being able to get a good solder job on an oily part... but I'm not skilled at soldering anyway and have had bad luck trying to solder on circuit boards.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would be way better off getting a rebuilt or new Solenoid pack. Unless you give the whole pack a bath in some oil solvent, soldering is gonna suck up some oil from someplace close to where you will solder. Unless you have a large soldering iron to tranfer heat quickly, your gonna wreck it anyhow. Circuit boards are floated over molten solder, boards that large are not hand soldered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger