Trans cooler

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First tell the forum what your plans are for this rig. It helps to know if and what weight you might be planning on towing.

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 12 ft 6 inch overhead camper weighs over 2500 lbs and a 24 ft sun tracker pontoon boat that it hauls. Went on a 110 mile trip from the house this last week to the lake and my tranny got hot and probably cooked it going down interstate #40 . After setting for a day the truck still drives but I'm sure the tranny is not to be trusted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are planning on doing a bit of heavy towing and want something that is going to really shed some heat use one from a 6.0L. RockAuto has them here http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4980420&cc=1433536&jnid=524&jpid=15

That is what I put on my van along with a oil thermostat to keep from over cooling in the winter.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
6.0 cooler would be the best option. Runner up would be TruCool Max LPD 47391 by Long. The maker of Ford's tranny coolers.

gandalf

Reaction score
I also run the TruCool Max.

I'm not sure I've ever seen an actual, factual, comparison between the TruCool Max and the Ford 6.0 cooler. That would be interesting.

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies, I just placed an order through amazon for a Tru cool max lpd 4739 cooler, a b&m remote filter system and a max tow transmission temperature gauge. Now to hope my tranny isn't already ruined.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled factory trans cooler off a truck in the junk yard to use as a PS cooler. It's mounted but not hooked up.... For like 2 yrs now lol

reset2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read about but have not installed a cooler in my truck using the water radiator"s stock oil cooler as a secondary cooler. The only addition will be a tee and valve in the lines to bypass the water radiator cooler in the summer.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have read about but have not installed a cooler in my truck using the water radiator"s stock oil cooler as a secondary cooler. The only addition will be a tee and valve in the lines to bypass the water radiator cooler in the summer.

you want to keep the radiator as your primary cooler.especially in the summer.it's cooling abilities far surpass your aux cooler (second in line,air cooler.)
at no time does the radiator warm the atf.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you want to keep the radiator as your primary cooler.especially in the summer.it's cooling abilities far surpass your aux cooler (second in line,air cooler.)
at no time does the radiator warm the atf.

What he said .^^^^^^^. the radiator pulls the high heat much quicker. , now if you have a plugged radiator cooler you need to upsize the air to oil cooler 2 sizes.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Another thing to do that will help keep trans temps down is add a deep oil pan. Adding 2 quarts to the mix will go a very long way to keep you temps under control, and the cast pans will act as a heat sink, doing a little cooling of their own.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
The only thing a deeper pan does is cool your wallet of $$$.

If want to add more fluid to cool, use a bigger cooler.
Where the tranny pan is located it doesn't have a direct cool air path. What air it get is usually heated by the engine and road surface.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online