towing doubles in calif. ???

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like a babe in the woods on this discussion. I've wondered about towing double a few times...haven't done it though. I have used the scale Towcat refers to. The only thing I would add is that because I have a big camper on the '85 truck, when I try to weigh one wheel, the results are thrown off because the wheels on one side are higher than the wheel on the scale. It's a dirt siding. In other words, there's a weight transfer when you tilt the truck sideways.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We used to use a bathroom scale to do corner weights,
I forgot exactly the formula
Jack up rig an inch insert scale and let it down .
If yer tryin to get it level this may help.
edit....
the scale would go under a bumper or another sprung componnent. I'm
sorry, the t.b.i. kickin in.
Google corner weight/racecars.
its been years.
hope it helps.

Last edited:

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think putting a bathroom scale under the wheel of a truck is a good way to ruin the scale. It would clearly be a weight outside the range of the scale's capacity.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Under a bumper or other sprung componnent... only adding a slight amount of weight... google racecar corner weight, if I recall corect.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you get messed with while towing a RV, your class a will shut down the cop. that is clearly non commercial territory. with a 3/4t towing a 10k dump trailer, they may have a raised eyebrow and pull you over to determine if you're commercial or not. with the 10k trailer, you have 7k before going over the 17k GCVW. If you want to talk to a seasoned DOT cop without harassment, I can arrange a coffee run over at the junction ave. SJ location.

if I get down that way sometime I'd love to buy coffee for you 2 on that one!

big jake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go to the members list and look for member

Neil

he is a CHP DOT officer out of the Oroville CA office for all of Butte County and is a really good guy. He will be able to answer your questions, be sure and tell him

big jake

sent you