towing doubles in calif. ???

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried to find info specific to cal ...I have a cdl besides going to c.h.p. where can I find scale weights and overall length specs (I'll be at 58' and 8500# on the fiver) thanx guys

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
depending on you DL, may be legal. if you have a class C noncomm, you are now restricted to 40 ft total OAL between tractor & trailer. if you're class A comm or noncomm, you are a total length of 75'.
there's more I can get into, but that's the one that bags most drivers.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a commercial class a/1 18WHEELER lic....
if I'm good for 75' how how do
I calc. Pin weight and axle weight?
I ran commisery goods on the autobohn once upon a time!
Or pm me for a phone #if you prefer!
thanx cb

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Go to a certified scale such as a Cat Scale like you see at the truck stops and do an individual axle weigh that should tell you what pin wieght will be. I think the cost is about $8

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bluehairs(rv people) are exempted from the scales. you have no worries in kali. WA state is a whole other animal.
if you're serious on wanting to know your weights in whatever combination that sparks your curiousity, the papermill next door to my shop has a full length truck scale that usually open 24/7 and you can have fun in the evenings when they're not using it as much. key thing is don't be disrespectful and clear the pad when they show up wanting to use it. The ricer kids don't "get it" and they retaliate by turning off the street facing readout for the weekend.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that is correct. there are endorsements for doubles and triples.(even though triples aren't technically legal in kali)
now for the guys who can break the rules.....heavy duty towtrucks. :D
think about it.....we're hauling a 75' load with a minimum of 35' truck. the longer the towtruck better the weight transfer. we're permitted up to 130'.

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is correct. there are endorsements for doubles and triples.(even though triples aren't technically legal in kali)
now for the guys who can break the rules.....heavy duty towtrucks. :D
think about it.....we're hauling a 75' load with a minimum of 35' truck. the longer the towtruck better the weight transfer. we're permitted up to 130'.

Another case of bending the law, some guy told me that he was overweight and called a tow truck to tow him across the scales. He said a short tow bill was cheaper than an overweight ticket. I don't know if that was BS or not but its a good story.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanx,,, any chance of scale weight documents ? seeing how my 88 2x4 250 don't list a combined gvw, I wanna pull the fiver #4800-+ and 3k crawler, pin wt is at #900 puts rear axle under its tag rating. where can I find the scale legal axle weights combined gvw (gcvw) for this truck?
I have every endorsement cal has to offer ,,cept BUS (who wants that headache) so I'm good just dont want d.o.t. hassels....Again thanx for the input cb

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanx,,, any chance of scale weight documents ? seeing how my 88 2x4 250 don't list a combined gvw, I wanna pull the fiver #4800-+ and 3k crawler, pin wt is at #900 puts rear axle under its tag rating. where can I find the scale legal axle weights combined gvw (gcvw) for this truck?
I have every endorsement cal has to offer ,,cept BUS (who wants that headache) so I'm good just dont want d.o.t. hassels....Again thanx for the input cb
because it's a pickup, you are exempt from scales in kali. iirc your GCVW is 17k. I have access to a 75ft long scale almost 24/7 and you can certainly use it when it's not busy on the weekends or evenings. you will have to do some calcuations of axle weights yourself, but the upside is you can take as long as you want. rarely is anyone there to bother you.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so I can blow the scales (cool beans) what about the c.h.p. and thier commercial training graduate,( to qualify this ?... I have been pulled over in my quad cab 4x4 1 ton with the 10k dump trailer on, new kid in blue tells me he just went to school for comm. rigs and my 91 should need bit.ca. and dot #'s and the gvw is like the new super-duty stuff out now!!! a trip to the judge executioner at the local chp shop cured this )before I go tempting fate and my insurance rates I just wanna do my homework before calling on my agent and c.h.p. thanx cb

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so I can blow the scales (cool beans) what about the c.h.p. and thier commercial training graduate,( to qualify this ?... I have been pulled over in my quad cab 4x4 1 ton with the 10k dump trailer on, new kid in blue tells me he just went to school for comm. rigs and my 91 should need bit.ca. and dot #'s and the gvw is like the new super-duty stuff out now!!! a trip to the judge executioner at the local chp shop cured this )before I go tempting fate and my insurance rates I just wanna do my homework before calling on my agent and c.h.p. thanx cb
if you get messed with while towing a RV, your class a will shut down the cop. that is clearly non commercial territory. with a 3/4t towing a 10k dump trailer, they may have a raised eyebrow and pull you over to determine if you're commercial or not. with the 10k trailer, you have 7k before going over the 17k GCVW. If you want to talk to a seasoned DOT cop without harassment, I can arrange a coffee run over at the junction ave. SJ location.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanx guys I will look into these leads and great offers(al)
I'm loading up and leaving in am for a week on the rubicon, check in after that.
again thanx cb