Tire size

crockettcreek

Reaction score
Hey guy's, I am looking into getting some newer used tires. I do not want to buy new as my truck only gets two thousand miles a year on it. The question I have is what harm would it be to upgrade to 255/85/16? My truck is 4 wheel drive but only gets used 6 times per year to pull camper back up driveway. I only have two of this size tire. The other tires are 235/85/16. Just wanted to make sure I would not destroy my driveline in two wheel drive.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lady Moose needs new tires. She's got the small 215's on there right now. I've fooled around with the idea of moving up in size, but that's going to make those hills steeper when pulling the camper. I might just keep them where they are.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guy's, I am looking into getting some newer used tires. I do not want to buy new as my truck only gets two thousand miles a year on it. The question I have is what harm would it be to upgrade to 255/85/16? My truck is 4 wheel drive but only gets used 6 times per year to pull camper back up driveway. I only have two of this size tire. The other tires are 235/85/16. Just wanted to make sure I would not destroy my driveline in two wheel drive.

I would bump it up a size, I fit 285/75/16 which are about the same height but a little wider so you have a little more traction. In a 4wd I would think that every tire needs to be the same height... After putting these on, I wish I would have gone up another size but oh well LOL.

DragRag

Reaction score
You can run two different tire sizes as long as you don't use 4wd. That being said I wouldn't run two different sizes on my truck. I like the 255/85R16's, they are tall and skinny, the way I like them. These tires are about 3" taller then stock, but about the same width, so no worries on rubbing the bumper. Find two more and run them I would say.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taller tires will suck your power. If you can live with slower acceleration and higher effective gearing, move on up. I like 265/75s or 235/85s (basically same diameter) on trucks that are for real truck uses. If you already think 1st and reverse are too high geared, don't do it.
Travis..

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taller tires will suck your power. If you can live with slower acceleration and higher effective gearing, move on up. I like 265/75s or 235/85s (basically same diameter) on trucks that are for real truck uses. If you already think 1st and reverse are too high geared, don't do it.
Travis..

Um i hope you arent trying to say that big tires are for trucks that dont get used... This is only a matter of an inch or two.... My truck doesn't see a day where its not squatting...

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um i hope you arent trying to say that big tires are for trucks that dont get used... This is only a matter of an inch or two.... My truck doesn't see a day where its not squatting...

I'm not necessarily saying that, just when lots of people put larger tires on their truck, the next question is "where'd my power go", or "how do I get moving without smoking my clutch". Just sayin'. With the high 1 st gear in these 4 speed trucks, all I think about is how to get a load moving.
Travis..

rckslash2010

Reaction score
I'm not necessarily saying that, just when lots of people put larger tires on their truck, the next question is "where'd my power go", or "how do I get moving without smoking my clutch". Just sayin'. With the high 1 st gear in these 4 speed trucks, all I think about is how to get a load moving.
Travis..

Kind of sounds like me, well it is a diesel. I wonder why it takes me forever to get up to 60, and I only get 14 miles to the gallon? I wonder what would happen if I took the 33x12.5s off and put on some regular sized tires? I may be surprised.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
i tow, haul, plow, and beat my truck with 37x12.50 tires on it with no problems. yeah, sometimes its sluggish, but even up the steepest hills towing it'll still do 55! ;Sweet when i hooked to the sled for the truck pulld i put small stock sized rubber to ease the drivtrain parts though.

-Jon

Gotta-B-Ford

BOOTLEGGER
Reaction score
I run 355/60/20 tires on 20x12 wheels with 4.10 gears pull anything i want with power to spare!!!(when the injectors were hitting good!!)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online