Tips for Dropping Tranny

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa! Haha, neat!! Well, I've got a bellhousing lined up for it. Either which way, I'll be doing it outside somewhere on the concrete. I don't know anyone with a shop around here, so I would have to turn down your offer to help--I don't wanna make anyone but myself roll around in the cold rain for a day or two!

But if you've got a tranny jack I could borrow for a weekend, circumstances pending, I would be inclined to come down and pick it up! Nothing makes me more nervous than a cast iron housed transmission rocking back and forth above my head on a standard floor jack. Not cause it'll injure me, but the fall has the potential to crack that case ;-)

I'm going to talk to the seller tonight and see if he'll sell it under the clause that I fix it first. Give him a deposit, bring it to my place, and pay him if it lives up to promises after I road test it.

Anyway though, I'll keep you posted! Good know there's someone knowledgeable on the island!

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love fixing trucks in an open parking lot. It snowed 4 inches, and slightly turned to slush. I was a couple bolts away from dropping the t-case before my wet frozen gloves stopped being able to pick up tools.

I pray to holy hell that everything freezes solid tonight. It'll be a lot easier getting that tranny down laying on ice instead of slush.

Another thing I noticed is that the slave cylinder was completely popped out. I'm going to need a new one, won't I?

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Lots of great advice in here.
I'm in Nanaimo, BC
I may be wrong, but when I envision Nanaimo, BC this time of year in the dorm parking lot it's burrrrr, but fixing it where it sits on the pavement is burrr, burrrr, burrrr! I feel for 'ya. Tranny jack &/or shop would be nice.
On the lighter side.....I don't know if this would fall under "lots of great advice in here"....but pinned down & can't move by a mad T19 on top of 'ya......well is your medical insurance paid up??:D :D :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea. Do yourself a favor and get a new slave cylinder. If not for any reason other than it will come with the restraining strap that seems to be missing from so many. The reason you want the strap is this.... When you need to service the TOB, it sure is nice to be able to use the strap to hold the slave cylinder compressed. Without it, your forced to let it extend all the way, and then you have to bleed it (which you will find out is a big PITA) big time. When you put it in, leave the strap in place, then when your ready to let it extend, pull the fork against the piston, trapping the strap between the fork and the piston. Unhook both ends of the strap, and slowly let it extend. The strap will live between the piston and fork, and even provide a slight degree of wear protection to both parts. Be sure to put a dab of grease on the end of the strap where it will rub the fork.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure would take Zigg up on his offer. He's one heck of a knowledgeable guy about these trucks. There are others too, but having Ziggster in the neighborhood is a real benefit.

Zigg...I hope your surgery turns out well.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I crumbled: I found a shop that'll do it for 200 bucks. I can only get under that truck for 30 mins at a time before my fingers get too frozen to be of any use. At any rate, I got a bunch of little stuff peeled away to keep labour costs down.

Haha, I discovered another thing about that truck after buying it: they bypassed the heater core because it leaked ;)

Just out of curiosity, although I drained both, if you were to drain only the t-case fluid, and started disassembling, at what point would you get soaked in the tranny fluid? Would this happen when you took off the t-case? Or would it happen when you took of the extension housing?

I have fond memories of working on my first truck, a 2WD Ford Ranger, and discovering the wonders of having a slip shaft on the transmission. I was laying underneath on a creeper, and being 17 I had shoulder length hair, which all the girlies thought was pretty neat. As soon as I pulled the driveshaft out of the back of the tranny, I got soaked in foul gear oil. My first reaction was to push myself off the tire and roll out of harms way. Well, not if my hair had anything to do with it: it got tangled up in on of the wheels, soaked in gear oil. That hurt. I got a hair cut soon after, and learned the importance of draining fluids before getting to work.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect right when you tilt the opening towards you. LOL I helped a friend with a Cheby and a T-400/NP205 combo once. That NP 205 has a really large diameter drain plug. Seems the front seal on it was shot though. Over the years the transfer case filled to the brim with tranny fluid. I took that drain plug out with the catch basin under it at what I though would be the right angle, and the fluid shot out at about a 20 degree arc, and landed on the asphalt 3 or 4 feet away! :eek: I looked like Jed Clampit trying to cap his backyard oil well with a finger. By the time it was over, everything was the color of bad ATF, including me.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I crumbled: I found a shop that'll do it for 200 bucks.

What, I don't get the joy of laying under that unit in the cold this weekend? Awww, nuts...

Glad you're going to get it done though. You still want my bellhousing?

Oh, and my surgery went great. Pretty scary to let someone cut into your eyes, but (laser eye suregery),I got rid of the tri-focals!!

First time I haven't had glasses on since I was bout 6!!

The fluid will leak from the tranny when you separate it from the t-case!!
Best to drain both before you start.

Zigg :)

IHWillys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered why we have that chunk of alluminum between two hunks of steel. :rolleyes:

Me too. IH didn't do that. IHs have 60lb of steel between the engine and transmission, but they also hang the trans on the bellhousing with no mount on the trans. Two mounts on either side of the bell and one mount up in front of the engine. IHs also have a better throw-out fork setup. A cross-shaft instead of a single pivot fork.

These are some of the reasons I'm always on the lookout for IH bellhousings that fit the 6.9/7.3.

You must be registered for see images attach

Oh, and for $200 I'd say you made a good decision, rangerwreck(dont know why I thought it was Jred).

Ken

Last edited:

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What, I don't get the joy of laying under that unit in the cold this weekend? Awww, nuts...

Glad you're going to get it done though. You still want my bellhousing?

Haha, yes, please! Do you have a slave cylinder as well you'd like to sell?

With the highways considered, I'm not sure if I can get a ride down to grab them, but I'd still like to get them ASAP so the shop can get started. Would you be able to stick them on the bus, if I PayPal'd you some money?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tcase, 85 lbs, trans 155 lbs not fun at all.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that pic a Clark 5 spd on the end of an IH bell housing? Very nice if that's how they do it. I accidently ran the Moosestang for several months with no fasteners holding the trans to the crossmember. :eek: Knew I was forgetting something when I put it together. cookoo ;p Didn't seem to need them though, although I'm glad I wasn't doing any 4X4'ing.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
IHWillys; Oh said:
must have been blinded by the Willy's in my sig :D got any extra parts? always on the look out for these old beasts

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online