Time to Reach Operating Temp

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. In about 30*F weather, how long does it take your truck to warm up idling?

I waited about 15 mintues, and the needle barely reached the first line of the gauge on my '85. Time for a new thermostat?

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Yep, I'd say so. I use a piece of PVC to wedge on the go pedal and the seat front. I wedge it in there to get my idle up to 1000 rpm after the high idle kicks down. About 5 mins and it's warm in the cab.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Mine can idle, and it would be 20 minutes before the high idle solenoid drops. Keep in mind that the factory gauge only reads over about a 20 degree range. It's about 150 degrees by the time the factory guage starts to move.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Mine takes about 15 minutes to get up to temp but I don't know about this now since last time I thought You guys said is bad to idle this truck for long, what gives?:confused:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I change my oil every 2K, and so I've never had a problem. Besides, some of that time it is on high idle.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
mine takes about 5 mins at that temp to kick out the high idle and probubly 15-20 to warm up if it is just idling. from what i have read in my old manual these engine dont put out much heat at idle and might not ever reach full opereating temp just sitting there. i know my heat noticably gets better and picks up when i pull on the highway but its slower to heat up round town.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whole cooling system is made to get rid of heat. At idle, a diesel makes very little heat.

At freezing temps, you should have the block heater plugged in and then get in and drive it. It will warm up much faster and you won't get fuel stackup in the cylinders. I also find that if you block off part of the radiator you will cut warmup time in about half.

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much would you propose blocking off, if the truck wasn't going to be pulling any weight most of the winter? If I were to be pulling, I'd just remove it. Thanks

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use one of the winter screens sometimes to block airflow. it has 2 inlet holes and works pretty well. Anyways, it seems to take forever for my truck to get warm, usualy i'm where i need to be by the time the needle starts moving.

rubberfish

Reaction score
LOL That's what mines like too. :)
If I just left it idling to warm it up it'd run out of fuel.
I run a winter front and keep both flaps closed.
troupp, you can cover the whole rad if you like.
A lot of guys pull their fan off as well for winter.
I never run a fan. I commute an hour in
the afternoons and have never wished I had one.
I don't know that I'd want to sit at the border
for 3 hours in the middle of a heat wave......

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
The trick is to get the idle up. It'll warm up waaaay faster if the idle is around 1000 rpm.
There is an electrical high idle mod that someone did here. Involves a diode and a switch

Exekiel69

Reaction score
The trick is to get the idle up. It'll warm up waaaay faster if the idle is around 1000 rpm.
There is an electrical high idle mod that someone did here. Involves a diode and a switch

That would be Ron (dsldogcatcher) I believe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7