Time for a rebuild in Oz

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for not updating. Works been busy. The company I work for has been involved in commissioning and modifying a new coal export facility, its been a crazy couple of months. The second ship is being loaded this weekend. Time for a weekend off and a cold beer or two.
The engine is in and the turbo and exhaust is fitted up. Anyone thinking of fitting a Banks be warned its tight, but it does fit.
I started putting the radiator support in today and hope to fire the engine up next weekend.

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got to hook up a transmission cooler. Could you guys please confirm that the hot oil out of the tranny is the front port and the cool oil returns to the rear port.

Thanks
Craig

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't get a chance to work on it over the weekend. Tonight I fitted the duralift fuel pump and changed some of the seals in the power steering pump before I hook it up. When I fit the radiator up I was going to use plain water for the initial engine start up just to check for leaks first before I fill it with Cat ELC. One thing I'm not sure of is whether there is a need to retorque the head studs after the first 1000km. I've done this on the other couple of engines (Toyota' diesels & a Land Rover petrol) I've managed to rebuild? Any advice would be appreciated.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re-torque not needed. If you cleaned/lubed the bolts and block threads properly before beginning your torque down sequence, it should hold just fine.

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it started today. I got oil pressure on the second round of cranking. I got fuel through on the third and it fired easily on the fourth. I had 2 injector caps leak on me which were easily fixed, but I have an oil leak from the front housing on the oil cooler. This was the one I repaired, looks like the repair may of failed. I'm to replace it.
The only other problem I had was that my ferret timing adapter I bought doesn't seem to work. I'll check the timing light tomorrow just to make sure it's not the problem. Apart form that I took it for a short drive of 20 odd kilometres it is a very different engine from what I remember. It has way more power and sounds great.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Sorro71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks OLBULL8 I haven't hooked the cooler up yet as I couldn't be sure without running it. I can't seem to get the ferret to sense the injector pulses. It will flash slowly when I turn it on but it doesn't flash any quicker when the engine is on. I'll try changing the position of the sensor today and see what happens.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance