Tie down hook

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to do this for 2 years now but been lazy but I need to deliver expensive doors an hour away so I need to make a tie down hook tonight
Does this look sound?
I have a pile of metal an oxy torch and a welder so can do about anything

Attachments

• IMG_2784.jpeg
    IMG_2784.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 23

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've had these eyelets installed in the bed of my truck for the better part of 10 years. Just a basic eyelet with a nut, with a stack of washers. I have one in each corner. Have used them for hauling multiple motorcycles, garage door, furniture, ect.. No welding needed just drilled a hole.
You must be registered for see images attach

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought some of these from Walmart, ran 3 down each inside wall of the bed.
Bolted them in, drilled 2 holes for each ring, and used Carriage bolts, Fender Washers and Nylock nuts.

Sometimes you just need a tie down down lower in the bed.

I have 5 ford Hooks down each out side.

Truck isn`t much good if you don`t have some way to tie down your loads.

Those Ford Hooks installed at the Dealer, they screw them on with Sheet metal Screws.
Years later down the road, the hole they made for the screw starts to rust, and the Hooks get loose and some time pull out.

removed them. used a chalk line, and added 2 the 3 that were there.
Used a long 1/4" Drill bit with a line level attached to the drill motor. And drilled a hole from the out side all the way through to the inside.
Then on the inside used a 1 1/8" Hole saw.
uses 1/4" stainless bolts that are counter sunk to fit into the hook holes.

Then fender 1" washers and Nylock 1/4" nuts.To get the washer all the way from the inside to the out side sheet metal. On my long 1/4" drill bit placed a straw over it, and stuck on the washer. And very carefully lined it up with the bolt, and pushed the washer onto the bolt.

Use a long 1/4" extension and 7/16" Socket and lined up the nut an bolt and screwed it together.
Now there is no way these Hooks are coming off.

Goat

Last edited:

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought some of these from Walmart, ran 3 down each inside wall of the bed.
Bolted them in, drilled 2 holes for each ring, and used Carriage bolts, Fender Washers and Nylock nuts.

Sometimes you just need a tie down down lower in the bed.

I have 5 ford Hooks down each out side.

Truck isn`t much good if you don`t have some way to tie down your loads.

Those Ford Hooks installed at the Dealer, they screw them on with Sheet metal Screws.
Years later down the road, the hole they made for the screw starts to rust, and the Hooks get loose and some time pull out.

removed them. used a chalk line, and added 2 the 3 that were there.
Used a long 1/4" Drill bit with a line level attached to the drill motor. And drilled a hole from the out side all the way through to the inside.
Then on the inside used a 1 1/8" Hole saw.
uses 1/4" stainless bolts that are counter sunk to fit into the hook holes.

Then fender 1" washers and Nylock 1/4" nuts.To get the washer all the way from the inside to the out side sheet metal. On my long 1/4" drill bit placed a straw over it, and stuck on the washer. And very carefully lined it up with the bolt, and pushed the washer onto the bolt.

Use a long 1/4" extension and 7/16" Socket and lined up the nut an bolt and screwed it together.
Now there is no way these Hooks are coming off.

Goat
I had a parts truck with those on the outside wish I would’ve kept them for the inside

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at your picture again.
The type of cargo you are hauling
having the tie downs down low, is really
the best way to secure them.

Having the tie downs up higher would not have worked.
My inside "D" Rings are mounted where that horizontal line is in the stamping in the sheet metal.
They work good tying down an engine.

I have mentioned to guys with new trucks, that they need some tie downs. "OH, I wouldn`t want to spoil the looks of my truck". "There is the 4 tie down hooks".

Lot of good they are, have a load of box`s and cannot get to them.
I really laugh at people trying to haul something, like moving. They have their ropes around the trailer hitch, ends of the bumper, over the side around the leaf springs etc.... comical.

Driving around the Carson Valley, Reno etc... see very few trucks with any hooks.

Goat

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at your picture again.
The type of cargo you are hauling
having the tie downs down low, is really
the best way to secure them.

Having the tie downs up higher would not have worked.
My inside "D" Rings are mounted where that horizontal line is in the stamping in the sheet metal.
They work good tying down an engine.

I have mentioned to guys with new trucks, that they need some tie downs. "OH, I wouldn`t want to spoil the looks of my truck". "There is the 4 tie down hooks".

Lot of good they are, have a load of box`s and cannot get to them.
I really laugh at people trying to haul something, like moving. They have their ropes around the trailer hitch, ends of the bumper, over the side around the leaf springs etc.... comical.

Driving around the Carson Valley, Reno etc... see very few trucks with any hooks.

Goat
My thought was the factory ones on the outside that you pictured but in the bed

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Austin86250 if the doors have glass, I don’t think it’s large enough to break, but I have heard that things with large panes of glass can break it laid flat.

My trailer like @IDIBRONCO ’s has had tie downs just like @Nero ’s pickup for over 20 years. Only difference is I put mine in the bed vs the wall. Used fender washers. I also have 10 marine type cleats around the perimeter that have been priceless.

Looks great. My only thought, would you want to reinforce them so they are in double sheer in case you have some tall and top heavy in your bed strapped down? I might not be understanding your photo good though. :cheers:

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only thought with the out side one`s on the inside, is they could snag things as they would stick out some. I don`t know if they are a cast pot metal, and could break off it hit hard enough. All depends on what each of us use our trucks for.

The "D" Rings do hang down flat on the sides.
If on the bed floor they would lay flat.
I have the rubber mat that came from Ford when the truck was new.
When I pulled my Bed several years back, I had to cut off the old Bolts, and replace with regular Hex head bolts. Things cold get snagged on them, but the thin rubber mat keeps that from happening.

Goat

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron